Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The 2008 Cason Award

ilikegengar

The plaque reads:

2008 Cason Award
Pokemon: The Journey of a Lifetime

For Inspirational Spirit of the Game.

On Saturday, March 1, 2008 I was presented with the “Cason Award” at the Oregon State Pokemon tournament.

As I sat at a table with other Pokemon players waiting for round 1 to start, Chris (Mr. Raichu) Clanton and Richard (BDS) Walkoski stood up and said they were presenting an award from an anonymous donor in honor of Cason Terjeson. Tears sprung to my eyes as I remembered this handsome young Oregonian, age 16, who died last summer in a farm accident. Cason was a kind-hearted soul with a bright smile; an excellent Pokemon player. . .

My thoughts of Cason were interrupted when I heard my name called. With wobbling legs I walked over to meet Cason’s parents and sister. What an honor! Chris handed me the plaque and reminded the crowd to “enjoy your journey in this life time.”

My Pokemon journey began 8 years ago when my son got off the school bus clutching 2 Pokemon cards. “It’s PokeMON mom, not PokeMAN,” he said.

This was a father/son event until Clint decided he could use more cards so I started going to pre-release tournaments. I lost every game. My son qualified for Worlds 2004 in San Diego and I attended. The hotel was decorated like a Pokemon Amusement Park. I played in the grinder and actually went 3-2. Later I battled a little boy from Japan (he won), met some folks from Croatia, Norway, Chile and Finland. A woman from Canada gave me a Canadian coin. I have been hooked since. I began going to more Pokemon events, taking a picnic basket of food and my camera. Leaning on my pre-school teaching background I began to make fun costumes. I realized I could act like a kid and still play a complicated card game.

We moved to Oregon in the summer of 2005. My son attended the Worlds tourney that year where I saw people in the crowd sporting OR-EE-GON hats. I first saw Cason there, Lindsey Murphy, Marvin-- all wearing their hats. I would meet Cason again at Oregon States as he and my son battled in the semi-finals. Cason won, wearing his OR-EE-GON hat.
displayimage.php

I battled Cason several times once he hit the Master’s age group. He always smiled, would point out ways to improve my play, took time to chat. Cason won a city championship. I saw him at the Aloha CC in 2007. He grinned, saying he wore his medal for inspiration.
displayimage.php

Cason traveled to my town of Corvallis for our Fall Battle Road. He wore his Pirate hat with wild hair.
displayimage.php

By now his grin had no braces on his teeth.

My Pokemon journey has allowed me to travel to many places, meet new people. My heart soars as I cheer on someone I know. My heart pounds as I search for a way to beat my opponent. I search my brain for a creative idea on a costume. Our family car is usually packed with extra players as we head to a tournament. My family just said good-bye to 2 Japanese exchange students we had short term. My son and I are learning Japanese and Pokemon has inspired us to do so.

Cason has been part of my Pokemon lifetime journey. I’m glad I got the chance to know him a little. As you travel through life, help others along the way, have some fun, and enjoy your adventurous journey.

Thank you, Cason. We miss you.
displayimage.php

Nanette Armstrong

Last edited by a moderator:
WTG all you Pokemon fans in the great NW! Congrats Nanette. I remember meeting you last year at Nats. I was on Staff and you were dressed as Nurse Joy, if I recall.

Keith

A realy true SOTG story, one of the best I heard in a long time. Congrats on the award, Nanette.

i teared up when i read this,i recall meeting you at nats last year and you seemed to bring a smile to everyone you met. may you travel safely in your journies and continue to inspire others. :)

-brent

What an honor. That's some serious SOTG right there. May this inspire others to realize just how important SOTG is, and why it shouldn't be ignored.

Nanette really is the nicest person at the NW tournaments.

Wonderful article. Cason was one of those guys I'd always look forward to chatting with at tournaments, and I still miss him even though I didn't really know him all that well.

He's in a better place now.

That is so awsome. HEY! I know you. I met you at nats last year I played flariados against your R-Gon in a side event and you wore the Nurse Joy out fit

Tip of the hat, and thank you for sharing the story behind the award...

It is nice to see Cason remembered so fondly and wonderfully.

What an award.!

Vince

Out of all the awards ever given to anyone anywhere for anything this has to be the best ever. You show true spirit by remembering this youg person. If there were more people like this the world could be better. I hope this shows everyone that spirit still exist, but it's dieing away. Nanette has shown us how to bring it back so lets be inspired to bring back the fun and get rid of the competitivity. Nanette I don't know you well at all but I can tell you are an awsome person.

Congratulations Nanette!! We chatted briefly at Nats last year and we all remember Gengar!!

We definitely need more people like you setting the great example for all of us in the game.

Hope you'll be at Nationals again!!

Clay M

Nanette, what a wonderful honor and award, and yet you are still more interested in telling about Cason's accomplishments and spirit than your own. That right there is Spirit of the Game in the truest sense! I remember reading your article about Cason after his accident, and thinking how wonderful it was that you brought him, and his inspiration, to our attention. And now this award will keep his memory alive for such a long time, hopefully inspiring many others.

I can't think of a better person to receive this special award for the very first time! Thank you, and congratulations!

The award was indeed given to a deserving person

Nanette, I was so glad when I heard your name called as the 1st recipeant of the Cason award. No one I know of exihibits more true spirit of the game then you do.

Last edited:
Back