Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

There is no such thing as an auto-loss

There's no such thing as an 100/0 matchup.

But there have been 90/10s in the past. I would call those 90/10s auto-losses.

In the current format there aren't any grossly one-sided matchups like those amongst the "big decks." But I would say that there definitely can be matches you'll encounter in a tournament which will either make you think to yourself, 'This one's in the bag,' or, 'I might as well concede right now,' and you'd be right.

Ya I can't think of any decks in this format that have autoloss stamped on them. I know someone who played Banette with techs at Regionals and lost all 3 of his matchups against GG but won against all of his Mag matchups. Talk about strange.

There's no such thing as an 100/0 matchup.

But there have been 90/10s in the past. I would call those 90/10s auto-losses.

In the current format there aren't any grossly one-sided matchups like those amongst the "big decks." But I would say that there definitely can be matches you'll encounter in a tournament which will either make you think to yourself, 'This one's in the bag,' or, 'I might as well concede right now,' and you'd be right.

Yeah. I don't know if any of you have played this deck before, but Swampert/Palkia/Mantine used to CREAM Magmortar at least 90-10. We might have had one win with magmortar, on a complete donk. Really, you cannot beat that deck playing magmortar.

But the big decks are at worst 1:3 vs any other deck.

^ Hey I played against deck like that at states. It wasn't even close to a donk. He had only one prize left and I came back FTW(I was playing Mag). The only water pokemon that can beat Mag is Empoleon and Gyrados.

No such things as an auto loss unless your talking about the pre made decks you buy. then you can be very close to it but not 100%

Chaos knuckles I disagree about Empoleon and Gyrados. Lots of decks can beat Magmortar, it's all in the first few turns and the luck of the players.

Ya I can't think of any decks in this format that have autoloss stamped on them. I know someone who played Banette with techs at Regionals and lost all 3 of his matchups against GG but won against all of his Mag matchups. Talk about strange.

Dont talk bad about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue:

anyways there is never such thing as an auto loss/win there is always luck and pure skill :thumb:

*to AZ* anyone remember when justin got killed by the kids 101 infernape in cities?? talk about lucky :lol:

The United States of America's current military does not have a 100% chance of defeating a Lobster in combat because there is always the chance that we will be struck by a bus, a meteor, lightning, win the lottery, and randomly explode.
Now do you see how silly saying something like that is?

Looking at odds, the way a deck operates, and considering scenarios where both decks get a good setup are the scenarios to determine whether or not a deck has a complete autoloss to another deck, otherwise I could claim a Torterra starter deck can beat GG. You can claim it, people just will point and laugh at you.
Luck is a factor in the game, but autolosses are for when you are considering playing a deck in a tournoment or not, not when you are playing them. Because I really cannot think of a single good player who will play a deck with several common autolosses and hope to luck out, and I can think of an equal ammount of people who when faced up against an autoloss will not go down fighting.

The United States of America's current military does not have a 100% chance of defeating a Lobster in combat because there is always the chance that we will be struck by a bus, a meteor, lightning, win the lottery, and randomly explode.
Now do you see how silly saying something like that is?

Looking at odds, the way a deck operates, and considering scenarios where both decks get a good setup are the scenarios to determine whether or not a deck has a complete autoloss to another deck, otherwise I could claim a Torterra starter deck can beat GG. You can claim it, people just will point and laugh at you.
Luck is a factor in the game, but autolosses are for when you are considering playing a deck in a tournoment or not, not when you are playing them. Because I really cannot think of a single good player who will play a deck with several common autolosses and hope to luck out, and I can think of an equal ammount of people who when faced up against an autoloss will not go down fighting.

Pretty much. If all 4 of your Ralts (I've gotten 3 prized before and I BARELY scraped by), Duskull, and Dusknoir are prized, good luck winning with Claydol's Spinning Attack and Smash Short.

Pretty much. If all 4 of your Ralts (I've gotten 3 prized before and I BARELY scraped by), Duskull, and Dusknoir are prized, good luck winning with Claydol's Spinning Attack and Smash Short.
But it is do able.
I think what he is trying to say is it isn't garrented that empolion will beat magmorter.\
Or something like that

A 100% win/loss is impossible, however a 99.9% is possible.

With some luck you can win all matches, but there are some that are very hard to win eg. electivire vx GG/Mario.

My friend came over today.

He brought his great EMpo/Star deck with him.

I with out a complete deck used an old MagKiss, and i totally won. My quick energy placement and damage won the game, even when Empo. Lv.X i got the game.

There is not thing as an auto-loss, even if the match up is 100:1, there is always the fraction of a decimil of a chance, no matter what.

It is possible!

I am going to quote you in my sig lol. BTW, there isnever an autoloss except a hand of Pachirisu with 4 windstorm and 2 Battle Frontier in your hand (and 1 energy in your deck:p). Mag should lose to EmpoZong but, it beats mine all of the time. I think it is my brothers luck, my bad luck, and I play DP-on and he plays HP-on:lol: There is never an autoloss (misplays, op cheating, sheer luck, bad luck, great playing, etc.)

How many times do I have to say this? Maybe if I bold it you guys might get it....

AN AUTOLOSS IS A MATCHUP WHERE, ASSUMING BOTH PLAYERES ACHIEVE OPTIMAL SETUP AND DO NOT PRIZE MAJOR CARDS, ONE DECK IS ESSENTIALLY INCAPABLE OF ACHIEVING VICTORY THROUGH ANY MEANS OF ITS STRATEGY WITHOUT SEVERLY ALTERING THE DECK AND/OR UNBALANCING IT

An autoloss takes into account what if both players setup, which is really what you should assume. If you play in a major tournoment and you see alot of Darkrai around, are you going to run Banette? Most likely not, since you can pretty much tell they will wipe you out once they get rolling. Using your logic, I should play Banette in that tournoment despite the bad matchups because they might get a bad setup every time we play.

Thinking like that is silly, always assume the worst and that your opponent gets a good (but not insanely good) start, this way you are prepared to deal with them if they do, and are in an even better position should they not get such a start.

Once you start looking at deck preparation like this, then the terms autoloss come into play, since a standard Banette deck with nothing added (so if some idiot comes and quotes me to say "Lunarock to ignore resistance" I am going to verbally rip you to shreds) has no real chance against a Darkrai deck, thus you look at it as an autoloss for terms of deck choice and construction.

NOW do you get it guys?

I agree with you. What if a really good deck gets a bad hand and a bad deck gets a good hand. I think you can only predict an outcome 95%(iwith no techs).

Well there is no such thing as an autoloss because there is a big luck factor in the game
unfortuantely(ever played a game where all of your gardevoirs and gallades are prized?)

However there are matches that you will almost always lose if you are playing a certain deck
Hurricane- Plox for instance

if people really complain or something or get annoying about it saying what my hurricane can beat
your Plox you can always say something else like the odds are against you or its a lost cause

Back