Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Building the Galactic deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regis_Neo

So, raise your hand if you like decks that can be competitive for cheap? I know I do :thumb:

Pokemon: 19
4 Toxicroak G
4 Honchkrow G
2 Crobat G
2-2 Mightyena PT
2 Skuntank G
2 Unown G
1 Bronzong G

Trainers: 30
3 Bebe's Search
3 Cyrus' Conspiracy
3 Energy Gain
3 Power Spray
3 Great Ball
3 Professor Oak's Research
2 Galactic HQ
2 Moonlight Stadium
2 Looker's Investigation
2 Poke Turn
2 Roseanne's Research
2 Night Maintenance

Energy: 11
5 Psychic
4 Multi
2 Dark (Basic)

What always surprises me is how you can build this deck literally out of a bunch of Uncommon and Common cards (only Toxicroak G is a Rare, and even that's a cheap, non-holo Rare), making it a very cheap deck and a decent way to get into the game. The Galactic Pokemon all have some very nice syngery as well with one another, leading to some pretty nice combos.

Ideally, you'll want to start with Honchkrow, using Honcho's Order to nab Galactic HQ and an Energy Gain. From there, it's simply a matter of swarming, using your Great Balls, Roseanne, and Bebe's to nab at least Skuntank G and Toxicroak G out of the deck. Poison the active with Skuntank G, retreat Honchkrow for Toxicroak G, attach a Psychic and Energy Gain onto him, then hit for a big 60 damage T2, totaling up to 80 damage by your next turn due to Poison.

Mightyena is a fun add to the deck, being able to attack for no Energy at all if he's affected by a status condition; in this case, it will be from Skuntank G. Though this limits his overall survivability, Desperate Attack will likely always deal a quick 80 damage; in addition, he is not blocked by Mewtwo Lv X since he is an evolved Pokemon, nor is he KOed by Machamp's Take Out (though he's still weak to him).

Bronzong G is a fun choice, letting you move around Energy if you need to; note it's not absolutely necessary to play him, but he can help out if you're in an Energy bind. Crobat G is another cheap attacker who also lets you add an extra damage counter when he comes into play, and Toxic Fang can rack up the damage quickly for cheap.

And if that wasn't enough, you also have your tricks via Team Galactic's Inventions. Energy Gain is a terrific way of speeding up your Galactic Pokemon. Power Spray is sure to give your opponents a headache if applied at the right time, and Poke Turn lets you save any Galactic Pokemon you want, free of charge.

So, any comments/suggestions? They're always appreciated.

Last edited:
just at a glance there's a slight flaw with the intention. ToxicroakG is indeed powerful and fast, but if your opponent can't be poisoned by SkuntankG or by attacks, the base of the deck falls to pieces.
No more than 2 Toxi, with possibly 4 Honch (think it's second attack)
Must have 4 Energy Gain
All those basic pokemon, no less than 3 Roseanne
possibly 3 CrobatG with 3-4 Poketurn for constant damage placement
and if you absolutely plan on skuntank's poison, you need more than one type of stadium. Since YOU must be the owner of the stadium, you cannot allow your opponent to lay down the only stadium you play. Use the HQ as one and Moonlight as the other, 2 of one and 3 of the other, for insurance.

just at a glance there's a slight flaw with the intention. ToxicroakG is indeed powerful and fast, but if your opponent can't be poisoned by SkuntankG or by attacks, the base of the deck falls to pieces.
Must have 4 Energy Gain
and if you absolutely plan on skuntank's poison, you need more than one type of stadium. Since YOU must be the owner of the stadium, you cannot allow your opponent to lay down the only stadium you play. Use the HQ as one and Moonlight as the other, 2 of one and 3 of the other, for insurance.
Crobat can still poison them.
Mightyena is a nice touch, I like it a lot.
4 Honchkrow, Skuntank and Toxicroak are a MUST. Crobat is fine at 2 or 3

Must have 4 Energy Gain

Well, I don't think it'd be too common, it's only in a Galactic mirror match or VS something with Unown G attached that I wouldn't be able to outright Poison them, and Mightyena also serves as a back-up in this event. 3 Roseanne's I think is unnecessary, I also play 4 Great Ball, and Cyrus's Conspiracy will yank out a Roseanne for me if I really need one as well. Moonlight is definitely worth considering though, free Retreat is always nice.

Crobat can still poison them.
Mightyena is a nice touch, I like it a lot.
4 Honchkrow, Skuntank and Toxicroak are a MUST. Crobat is fine at 2 or 3

I'm not sure how 4 Skuntank are necessary, 2 should be more than enough as I only use them to Poison the opponent, not for attacking necessarily. Unless both are prized, in which case that would suck...

Anyways made some more changes to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back