Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BAY AREA Top 16 Sunnyvale, CA - Regionals

CaoCao

My first goal before starting the event was to foil out my palkia g / dialga g deck which the decklist was given to me the day before at around 11 pm (Thanks Glenn for the decklist + Helping me learn!). So when gathering the cards to the day of the Regionals I was missing 8 Key Cards to foil out which were 4 Water Energy - 3 Call Energy and 1 Roseannes research. So I arrived at Elk Lodge at around 9 and did some small trades and was able to get all except one call energy and when the tournament started I was really depressed since one non foil looks really ugly + I have a habit of being obsessive and compulsive (OCD).

Round 1 Starts: Name: ???? (Sorry I have very bad memory, you'll see what I mean later) Deck: Machamp

He wins the die roll nobody mulls and he starts off with a machop - attaches energy and attacks my dialga g. I manage to pull energy gain energy deafen. He sets up 2 more machop back row energy in backrow and pass. Next turn I attach a energy to my bench dialga - and deafen again - he uxies for like 3 attaches energy drops baltoy evolves bench to machoke and says go. Next turn I attach unown to bench dialga bronzong energy to bench dialga poketurn my active dialga - drop G Lv.X and second strike for ko after attaching energy. He machamps out next turn - uses hurricane and rolls 4 tails. I'm like 0_0 (Happy of course). Next turn I remove lost and hit no energy - next turn he machamp X and goes for strong will and forgets I shut off his pokebody - Next turn I remove lost and he flips and misses again and i'm like 0_0. He is able to reoccur another machamp and hits 3 tails this time with me having 2 sp energy so it does 10 dmg. I hit for 80 and pass - then he machamp x me again and strong will me - Deja vu happens again and he misses and soon finds out after going through his whole deck with claydol that he had no more outs.

1-0

Round 2 Starts: Name: Natsuki (I think he is from team invasion? From Game Kastle) Deck: Dusknoir/?

I'm pretty sure I started off with dialga - call energy and bench 2 more sp with call energy and I end turn holding a power spray. Next turn he searches through deck with roseannes - says something about being it in prize and attempts to azelf - I power spray which really set him back. At this point I get dialga g swinging in to eventually dialga g x to get 4 of his prizes when he does some poke power after warp pointing to send back my dialga g x and i'm like 0_0 (GFG!). The Following turn he ruined my 14 card hand with galatic wager so It's like sad face all over the place over here. He starts coming back and time is called when I have 2 prizes to his 3 and I have a palkia g in bench getting beefy to snipe his guy but I swing with dialga g x which is hurt like 100 dmg to get another prize and win on time.

2-0

Round 3 Starts: Name: Murat (He just beat my friend so I play with caution. Deck: Toxitank/Houndoom

I start off with giratina let loose and no supporters so I'm already thinking I already lost this game or actually I felt I would lose this game 100%. Because it got to the point where first two turns I attach energy to bronzong and draw for 4 more turns to get more bench pokemon and switch it. Giratina is still on the board and finally bends over to a toxicroak and I start chumping with azelf - mesprit and he takes 3 prizes. I finally start getting some action in and set up a dialga g x which gets 1 ko by houndoom after killing his toxicroak and chump uxie so its 4-2 him. And so I bring up my palkia g with 1 water energy - attach another water energy with energy gain and pearl breath his main houndoom with all the energies attached to him and knock it out after doing crobat shenannigans. So I notice he can't recover with no energy and keep pearl breathing all day - he tried to kill my palkia g x first with his tech pachirsu but I poke turn it and pumped up the board palkia - then he tried to kill it with crobat flash bite but it gets to 100 dmg when time is called and I was able to pearl breath for the last 2 prizes to win the game on time.

3-0

Round 4 Starts: Mauricio Aguilar?(Cool Guy!) Deck: Dialga G

I'm forced to start first again arrgh! but I start off with a Dialga G and he starts off with a mesprit! I attach a energy bench my bronzong and crobat his guy and have a giratina let loose in hand - so I drop it both draw 4 and he says I ruined his supporter hand. His turn he draws and says go! So I did ruin him! I take the oppurtunity to stock up on power sprays and stuff to completely control him after he tries to uxie etc and eventually dialga g x on like turn 4 starts to swing as he only has a bronzong g which has like 3 energy attach to him. WOW some back luck he had.

I win - but he notices afterwards my whole deck is foil except I tell him i'm missing call energy! And he says he has one so I end up giving him like 3 foil snow points - 1 galatic foil - 1 foil power spray and foil cyrus for his foil call ! YES ! I COMPLETELY FOIL'D out my deck and i'm undefeated at this point so I'm feeling really good.

4-0

Before Round 5 Starts Standings are posted and I see I'm seed #1 with 10% difference resistance to 2nd place.

Round 5 Starts: Daniel Chin?(Cool Guy! As well!) Deck Dialga G

I'm force to start again after winning the die roll and start with a all pokemon hand with uxie and active a palkia g with 1 luxury ball and 1 bebe search. I rip a water attach to palkia - drop azelf to get dialga g and prize my luxury ball, drop unown and my other benches and follow up with uxie to turn 1 draw 6 with uxie. I thought it wasn't a great hand but it was! I have a uxie waiting in hand and when he tries to uxie and mesprit I power spray them. He eventually scoops after I have a powered up Palkia G swinging for beef status.

5-0

Round 6 Starts: Name: Bryan ? Deck: Gengar?

I got paried down and normally I would just scoop because I actually don't care about rating but my friend told me to play it out - since at this point 3 of my friends were 3-2 and its better to have my opponent being 4-2 then 5-1.

I go first again - and attach energy and say go - I end turn with poketurn x2 and crobat in hand with cyrus and he his cressilla. I cross my fingers he can't play another pokemon and it happens he just plays a energy and future sights! So next turn I win by crobat second strike and win.

6-0

I was sure he was going to make top 16 but ends up 18th even though he lost to a undefeated. Much sorry's mangz.

Top 16: Name Michelle - Deck: Raichu X/ Electivire X
So top 16 is posted and I'm 1st seed and notice I have to play my friend Michelle. She already prescoops to me so I'm guaranteed top 8!

But anyways we play top 16 for fun and she's playing Raichu electivire - she starts off with uxie and I end up getting dialga g x powered up really really fast after she said go for like 4 turns literally and she can't come back from that and I win game 2.

Games 2 and 3 she one hits my palkia honhkrow etc - and I bend over to a lot of her pokepowers :( but she scoops to me. (Man I feel that undefeated curse coming already!)

7-0

Top 8: Name: James ? Deck: Machamp

Game 1 I start with what I call a soilid hand and power up a dialga g really fast and win.
Game 2 I go first and start off with what I thought was broken - Call energy - Dialga - Dialga G x - Energy - Cyrus - Roseannes were the things that stood out. I end up having the lead and feel like I already won this game because of my like 14 card hand with sprays - turns etc. He manages to turn around the game with his hurricane ko and knocks my unown out. Then I start to get nervous and remember a night maintenence in my prizes from azelf but I CAN"T REMEMBER! AARGH - I have 3 chances to basically find it after ko ing 2 of his machamps and the dumb thing was I picked up the cyrus in one of them which was the one I placed down with AZELF :( That was 1 HUGE MISPLAY I did, the second was I have a palkia with 4 energy out and a back row dialga g with second strike available and I don't decide to hit machamp - I decide to hit claydol and he ko's my palkia..... then I soon realize I could've killed his 3rd machamp with no others benched and bend over to it because I lost my last powered up pokemon. And scooped when he still had to take 3 prizes left. SAD FACE :(
Game 3 I miss a turn 2 CRUCIAL SUPER SCOOP UP on my unown G so I'm stuck until he kills my unown which I need to basically let me win for sure....... We are even 3-3 prizea and I have 3 poketurn with crobat planning to kill his machamp when he had two backrow guys injured. I decide to attack and say go because this time I want to kill his machamp. So his turn he machamps out - searches for a lot of stuff - time is called and I already know I lost if he flipped 2 heads with hurricane or it's sudden death, he proceeds to do other fancy stuff such as rare candy his machop etc and finally attacks for ko after about 2 minutes. ARRGH :( I was unaware of time. So I lose - and my end record is 7-1.

The tournament was good - except there were time's I felt I was being victimized especially in top 8. I'll keep it to myself though as I can be very paranoid at times.

Overall this was my first pokemon tournament but still bashed myself for making such a bad misplay. I plan on going to nationals with a tweaked out version of the deck and maybe if anyone from norcal wants to come we can discuss about it!

Can't Wait to See all the local players at Game Kastle this Sunday!

PROPS: FOIL'd out deck
Going Undefeated in Swiss
Traded to have a total of 63 X's I like.
Meeting a lot of cool players there

SLOPS: Losing on time in top8 (I don't like the end procedure time ruling - Why can't we alternate turns before it ends?)
Wendys - that crap was CRAP.
Didn't get as much trading done as I expected to.

I'm looking for more leafeon X's , uxie X's , dialga g X, Palkia G X, uxies and foils! So trade with me this Sunday at Game Kastle!

Last edited:
Great job Thomas, you typed a great report

You had a heck of good performance for your first poke tournament. I'll definitely try to see u there at Nats

Back