Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Flights VS Swiss -1 (Playing one less round)

Team Cook

I really want to hear your opinions on this issue. Keep in mind I'm thinking of Regionals, States, and (maybe) Cities. I want opinions from players everywhere, not just Texas players. This is not a poll. If you decide to voice your opinion, please provide reasoning.

I know all of you would want to play all rounds and not do Flights or Swiss -1 (just playing one less round). I would love for you to play all rounds but if these events are to be held on one day, then something has to give.

Last edited:
the Flights didnt neccesarily bother me .. But another age division might not hurt.. such as veterans or something .. Masters seems to be way over populated

just my 1 cent...

I really don't mind flights, but I wish that TOM would seed these based on folks rankings so that you don't get too many of the highly ranked folks in one flight. Of course this isn't a perfect method, I recall certain super good players waiting until Nats to play and coming in with a 1600 for instance. However it's better than most other random methods.

when there is approx. 20 5-2s going into top cut, I think another round should be played to see which 5-2s deserve it. One of my two losses was to a 6-1 .

when there is approx. 20 5-2s going into top cut, I think another round should be played to see which 5-2s deserve it. One of my two losses was to a 6-1 .

I'd have to agree with Austino. There were way too many 5-2 to have a top 16 like that. I actually like the flight systems. It makes it easier to see the standings and how things can play out. (I also like the perfect split between me and my riding buddies in flights :lol:) If we couldn't make it one more round. It could have been a top 32. But oh well, This is coming from someone that can't seem to build resistance to save my life.

I am going to be scared for our next round of battle rounds. The DFW master division attendance will make it impossible to top cut with one loss...

the Flights didnt neccesarily bother me .. But another age division might not hurt.. such as veterans or something .. Masters seems to be way over populated

just my 1 cent...

I would have to agree with billy
the old farts and the young bucks masters
I think an over 21 division is long over due and instead of scholarships we could win trips to vegas or tickets for two to a superbowl or a carnival cruise nudge nudge (I gots all the edgamacation I needs anyways)
and I'm throwin the whole two cents on this one
then we could make this a blood sport like marriage, Magic tourney's win money after all
and we are the majority buyer's in this medium unless u think those 5-14 year olds are making skads of money I don't know about and if they are how come I'm still supporting em
BE our advocate Mike tell POP to support the gray haired ( or no haired) kids and we can make Birch and BDS our poster boys, couldn't u just see these two adorable tykes across the table from each other flippin a coin and then the table

Last edited:
Given the lighting and time issues of the location for the TX Regionals the past couple of years;I feel that you made the right choice on running flights this year and keeping the top-cut games to an hour. For future reference ensure you have a open, lit, and willing venue for any amount of time if you care to run more swiss rounds and/or longer top-cut games. Hope my insight helps. :)
-b

Can someone provide more detail on the options? I think I understand but am not sure and there are probably others like me. Maybe not! :lol:

I think the question is that if the numbers are so large that a normal swiss rounds and top cut are not doable due to length of time, venue rental restrictions, etc. would players prefer to play one less round in swiss before determining top cut or divide the players in to flights and create the overall top cut (such as top 16 for tournament) from the top cut of each flight (top 8 from 2 flights). If I have that wrong, please correct me!

If I do understand that, then I would vote for flights. I think that it would be a better way to determine win-loss record and opponent's % and all of that.

Last edited:
I prefer Swiss - 1, but that is just me.

As these things get more massive, I will be changing my opinion for sure.

We ran the full 8 rounds in STL, and it was LOOONG...but I think it was fine give the "finish" times at other large events.

Talk to you soon my hair-filled friend!

Vince

Obvious first choice is to run all rounds (personally I'd like to see Swiss + 1, but I guess that's just crazy talk), given time restrictions flights would be my next choice because Swiss - 1 seems inherently wrong, but that could just be me.

I don't have any issue with flights, like at US nats 08, it needed to be done.
I still thing it was a good idea at nats how they did t 16 from each side (or whatever it was) And did a pre ellim for top cut.

Last edited:
I really want to hear your opinions on this issue. Keep in mind I'm thinking of Regionals, States, and Cities only. I want opinions from players everywhere, not just Texas players. This is not a poll. If you decide to voice your opinion, please provide reasoning.

I know all of you would want to play all rounds and not do Flights or One less round. I would love for you to play all rounds but if Regionals are to be held on one day, then something has to give.

I prefer Swiss - 1, but that is just me.

As these things get more massive, I will be changing my opinion for sure.

We ran the full 8 rounds in STL, and it was LOOONG...but I think it was fine give the "finish" times at other large events.

Talk to you soon my hair-filled friend!

Vince

If, I was a judge or a TO I would rather have Flights or Swiss -1, however being that most of the time that I am a player who is trying to get a Worlds Invite, I would much rather have the normal amount of rounds. I don't like Swiss -1, I don't like Flights, I like Swiss like it is most of the time. That might be just me, but I love playing and it could be different for others.

Drew

swiss-1 is much better than a pair of flights. Saves similar amounts of time and doesn't come with all the easy/hard flight issues.

If you are just above a power of two attendance then cutting a round isn't too bad for the impact on the players. If you are just below a power of two cut then cutting a round can be "interesting".

for some earlier discussion see http://forums.pokemon-tcg.com/showthread.php?t=2849

vvv look a graph I prepared earlier. for swiss-1 you just double the number of players indicated by the graph. For flights you have to half the number of players used but remember that the cut size is also effectively halved by flights as only half the players from a each side of a pair of flights makes it through to the cut.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a way to pair flights by ranking, ie, the highest ranked player goes in one flight, the next highest goes in the other and so on. Then you'd have an equal amount of high and low ranked players in each group.

I really want to hear your opinions on this issue. Keep in mind I'm thinking of Regionals, States, and (maybe) Cities. I want opinions from players everywhere, not just Texas players. This is not a poll. If you decide to voice your opinion, please provide reasoning.

I know all of you would want to play all rounds and not do Flights or Swiss -1 (just playing one less round). I would love for you to play all rounds but if these events are to be held on one day, then something has to give.
I think you should do as many swiss rounds as you can and just make the single elimination cut smaller.
You should give all the players as much a chance to play as you can (everyone plays in swiss).

I really don't like having a bunch of people who are 5-2 missing out on the cut. I think in TX there was enough people to have a t16 in both, which would have been time consuming, but it would have been better for me =) lolselfish

At NW Regionals this year Swiss -1 was used, and that was the correct call. The championship round lasted until 1:00 am as it was. Funny thing was that the two Jr players looked a lot more alert then the two masters players did :lol:

To put it in perspective, St. Louis Regional, 8 rounds, top 16, ended at 2:20 am.

We had some trouble, or we would have been done before 2.

I would prefer Swiss -1

Vince

Back