Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What do you expect the Pokémon TCG to give you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But not that bad IMO :/

Just look at home japan does it..

The problem is that they print too much trash as rares, why do they have to take 2 starter halfdecks and make basicallxy every card from those a rare? Why do they put LvX in the boosters despite them being printed in tins, making them worthless secret rares? Why do they trash our sets with pikachus etc? Look at how japan does it...

If we had those boosters I would have no problem with price distribution but 4 boosters equals nothing when you get our boosters, unless you're really lucky...

you're assuming OP has any say in what gets printed/reprinted/rarity. i'm pretty confident that they don't...

'mom

But who has? Do the japanese guys give there own players good boosters and give us the crappy ones on purpose :/ ?

The problem is that they print too much trash as rares, why do they have to take 2 starter halfdecks and make basicallxy every card from those a rare? Why do they put LvX in the boosters despite them being printed in tins, making them worthless secret rares? Why do they trash our sets with pikachus etc? Look at how japan does it...

If we had those boosters I would have no problem with price distribution but 4 boosters equals nothing when you get our boosters, unless you're really lucky...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and the PIkachu reprints all secret rares in their respective Japanese sets?
Also, the LvX cards that are reprinted in tins have different artwork. They are not the same. Also, LvX cards are also not secret rares in the English sets.

Like SD PokeMom said, it is highly unlikely that OP has any decision in what gets to be a rare when it comes out of Japan. Besides, rarity distribution has nothing to do with prize support.

Yoshi-, are you saying you'll happily accept less packs as a prize if the rarity distribution of a set was better? *heh heh* imagine OP saying "This set's rarity distribution is awesome, so the prizes for this event are less than the last event's prizes which used a set where the rarity distribution sucked." Yeah, that'll go over really well--it takes us back to the "they're giving us less and less!" :rolleyes:

OP does a lot, but we're blaming for them for things that they most likely have no say in. It was a shock to me too once it was explained to me and I thought about it :wink:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

But who has? Do the japanese guys give there own players good boosters and give us the crappy ones on purpose :/ ?
It sounds like your beef may be with marketting and sales. They probably have a say in what cards go into what sets in order to push sales of that particular set.

Last edited:
This is of course a matter of perspective. If I give away $100 a week to 10 kids they will each get $10. If I later expand my operations and give away $150 to 150 kids they each get $1. I'm giving away 50% more but those first 10 kids will all tell me that they hate the 90% cutback in what I'm giving them.

The difference is POP is a business and is thus getting support in the form of money from these "kids." By expanding one's operations one would be advancing to appeal to more "kids," and in turn yield greater numbers in support. This is rewarding scenerio for POP, they aren't losing out due to these operations so in theory we should be getting more prizes (As brought out). If this method is actually failing, then perhaps POP ought to rethink the way they appeal to their players (Possibly by increasing their rewards? lol).

Basically, I hardly see it as POP just "giving" these prizes away. It's been said, who would even play if there weren't any prizes? That in mind, POP should see it that they will get out of their product as much as they put in. The company has been extremely careful to wean us off of these prizes, because a sudden shift would likely result in a very large loss in their player base. But say, right now, who is going to quit as a reaction to this prize cut back? Probably no one. What if they cut back on prizes on a scale proportionate to the "good ol' days" up until today? I'm sure that would shake up plenty of people. POP's good at this, but where will they stop?

I would just like to point out that at this point, it's likely that some of the money under OP's umbrella is also going to the Video Game side, which still has significant startup needs to try and get event capacity to better match the size of the player pool.

But not that bad IMO :/

you're assuming OP has any say in what gets printed/reprinted/rarity. i'm pretty confident that they don't...

'mom
He never once mentions a company's name in that post. The only point he brings up that could be even remotely taken as blaming POP for the rarity issues is his last little sentence, and even then, you have to be on a Righteous POP/PUI Holy Defense Train of Justice to interpret it like that.

The point he makes is that PUI (or whatever company initial makes the cards in America) gives us crappy packs with stupid rares. It's not much worse to give the ten bucks to the "homeless guy" who makes $500/day by holding a cardboard sign on the corner of Market and Lancaster. At least then you'll feel goodish about yourself and think you'll go to heaven.

And don't try to defend Pokemon with that stupid "Well, if you don't like it, you don't have to do it" argument, either. Contrary to what you might think, nobody respects anyone who uses that argument. When I was 3, I hated it when my mom would use such a fallacious stance. I'm now 3 + 19, and I still despise that cop-out argument. As stated previously, we want awesome prize support like YGO and Magic gives their kids. They spoil their little munchkins rotten. We wanna be spoiled, too.

Think of it like this: PUI (or whoever) is our mommy. We LOVE our mommy (a lot). She lets us play and she gives us free stuff. Mommy is frickin sweet. But suddenly, Mommy doesn't give us as much stuff and doesn't seem as attentive to our needs, and instead of sitting us down and explaining all this (in a nice way) to our crying little heads, she has our teachers and camp counselors try to explain it to us, and they fail miserably. Then, a while later, we get even less free stuff, and the things we DO get are all worn-out, diluted hand-me-downs from the handsome Japanese foreign exchange student next door. Mommy continues to remain silent about the whole thing, and now the teachers and camp counselors are bawling us out and calling us sick, greedy, evil, demonic, and all that stuff. That's pretty much where we are at right now.

Unique and exciting prizes such as what Naruto give to winner of "Nationals". Winner gets to work with RD for Naruto to create a card(text and images; Winner's name is also printed on the card in small prints). That card is then released within the next upcoming set.

Also, notice that PCI is the ONLY video game company (that I know of) that actively sponsors tournaments for its video game franchises.
EA has sponsored tournaments for every single game they make. The largest one is always the Madden Challenge. One in every city for $10k to first place, plus a Pro Bowl ticket and flight!

As stated previously, we want awesome prize support like YGO and Magic gives their kids. They spoil their little munchkins rotten. We wanna be spoiled, too.

Pokemon prizes are divided over 3 divisions, vs. 1 for Magic and Yugioh. And do you really want to say with the figures that have been thrown around several times that we're NOT getting spoiled?

Also, you got to pay about 10 times as much to reach the same level in those two games as you do in Pokemon.

Pokemon prizes are divided over 3 divisions, vs. 1 for Magic and Yugioh. And do you really want to say with the figures that have been thrown around several times that we're NOT getting spoiled?

Also, you got to pay about 10 times as much to reach the same level in those two games as you do in Pokemon.

And because the European Union as ~60% more people than the US, it should get 1.6/2.6 * 100% of the prize support etc.?

Magic has effectively only one age group because that is what it caters to, older players who have jobs to support their hobbies. Everything from the mechanics of the game to how things are organized is conducive to that.

Pokemon does not release data, if it has any, on the demographics of its customers, and therefore prizes equally to all three age groups.

And no, pay 10 times as much? I'm not sure how accurate that is. A competitive pool of Pokemon cards is about the cost of 1 magic deck, although if you're adept at metagaming, you can count on that single magic deck to be T1-T2 for a year plus, assuming it was a T1 deck when you chose it.

It's been a while since I've been in the game, but for Type-2 Constructed play, it's not that much more expensive, if at all.

They also have pay to play events, so they get bigger prizes. And, Magic has more than 1 age group. Ever heard of Scholorship Series or Junior Super Series?

I lold hard. For type 2, Ill build a tier 1 deck for half the price of a tier 1 pokemon deck, and for extended, there are winning decks that costs $7. The deck featured in this article costs less than $7 if you know where to buy cards, and beats most top tier decks unless they sideboard against it.

Replies in bold.

oh there is so many things.
first thing- european championship
second thing. - a paid trip to worlds finally?got invite 5 years in a row and still no trip.lol...
third thing-a world championship.yes,world championship.in my opinion a paid trip for each european country champion.

btw i know this is fantasy.we will never get this and i will probably come to worlds 50 years from now if i will still play/be alive.
but most of all i would like the player rewards for previous season lol.prizes for those who get invites and cant go to worlds due to not getting trip paid would be great.

A European CHampionship would make earning invites to World harder. However, if it was something like Pokemon Day (or whatever it was called ) like in Switzerland, then it would be okay.

A European CHampionship would make earning invites to World harder. However, if it was something like Pokemon Day (or whatever it was called ) like in Switzerland, then it would be okay.

So you want equal support from POP but not equal difficulty in getting to worlds?

Really that's one of the trade offs in the US. We may have good OP support by your standards, but the difficulty getting into worlds is much greater here. Might as well make everything in the game equal if you want support to be equal.

So you want equal support from POP but not equal difficulty in getting to worlds?

Really that's one of the trade offs in the US. We may have good OP support by your standards, but the difficulty getting into worlds is much greater here. Might as well make everything in the game equal if you want support to be equal.

Well if the only trade off would be making it getting into Worlds harder, I could live with it.
Worlds is only 1 event, while equal OP would mean the other 30+ events we can attend will be better.
MUCH better.
We would finally get
Judge support
(P)TO's being compensated like the NA ones.
Regionals with large prizes.
Free tournaments

I would say a small trade off, and it benefits a much larger group.

Also, booster packs cost in Finland about three times as much as in USA. So one would think that European boosters give a lot profit to TPCi.

so if we want this game to be more like others why not have all top cutting decks list made public the day after the event? would every one be ok with that? or is it only an i want more for me not everyone else thread?

so if we want this game to be more like others why not have all top cutting decks list made public the day after the event? would every one be ok with that? or is it only an i want more for me not everyone else thread?
Wow! Hey, that is a great post! I wonder sometimes, myself. The reality of the situation is that yes, there's nothing wrong with asking for more. However .... when Mom and Pa get asked for more, do they just automatically give more, or do they sometimes ask for a compromise? Something like ... 'I'll give you this if you do such and such.' So yeah, don't worry, we (as in those who don't share your view of the NECESSITY of getting more) aren't complaining that you ask for more, but that you aren't willing to give of yourself back. Of course this is not to say that those who are winners don't give of themselves. But without seeing proof of this, how else would someone online interpret what seems like whining? Whining and greediness do seem to go hand in hand.

Last edited:
Thanks Pa glad some one relises that asking for more seams selfish when people aren't willing to offer something in return its like the drawn on cards, they let us have it until we abused it and then they slapped our hand and took it away, and yes as of late top teir playyers have been posting there lists for the larger events notably Worlds ( and nats i belive?) so kodu's, but then are they willing to give things up? and what are they willing to concede?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back