Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

CAN CALI CHAMP REPEAT?!? Includes Champion List

SUPER CHAR

Regionals came and went, but the powerhouse's of the state did not. The top for in Cali will remain, although be it a slightly different order. But I mad sure I did everything in my power to make a statement by continuing on the "Rogue" challange to mix it up a bit.

Just a Reminder: Fate- A predermined course of events or actions that shape destined events to take form as decided by an Overpower, time, karma, or just belief.

4 Gible-MT
2 Gabite-POP 9
3 Garchomp-SV
1 Garchomp X-MT
1 Nidoqueen-RR
1 Nidorina-RR
1 Nidoran F-RR
2 Ambipom G
2 Uxie-LA
1 Azelf-LA
2 Baltoy-GE
2 Claydol-GE

3 Roseannes Research
3 Bebe Search
2 Lookers Investigation
4 Rare Candy
2 Night Maintenence
2 Expert belts
2 Warp Points
1 Luxary ball
2 Broken Time Space
3 Super Scoop Up
2 Pokemon Reversals

4 Double Colorless Energy
3 Call Energy
2 Warp Energy
2 Psychic
1 Fighting

Round 1: Chris Silver w/ Garaydos

First round, number four guy in the state. FANNNNNNTASTIC. We've played before, and I'm not looking forward to this right off the bat. Not only that, but makes me buy new sleeves beacuse he claims that mine are marked. (Sorry my man, but call me superstitious or whatever, but i used the same sleeves I won with at states) Calls the judge over who agrees with him and makes me buy ne sleeves. By now I'm upset enough to just replace a certain someones nose. But its fine, check the new sleeves with the judge and we're good to go. (Special thanks to Donny for spotting me since all i had was my Atm card) But as Fate would have it, we went though our game, 1 to 1 prize, last play of the match I hit a Poke Reversal to win. :biggrin:

1-0

Round 2: Robert Roden w/ Shuppet/Duncsparce donk

Robert, I got to hand it to you, your first round win over James Fountes (#3 in Cali) was epic, and I was feeling pressure over this match. I felt myself twitching and I know you saw it too. But after you took a couple prizes, I took out the Spiritombs in my way and unload both Lookers and every trainer i could and loaded 3 Garchomps and came sweeping back. I'm not sure were you ended but you played a great game and congrats to Logan for 5th in Juniors.

2-0

Round 3: Mitch Silva w/ PLOX (ish)

We get started and he gets set up better than I do. (Must have been his Dark Palm Dusknior...) But I get Garchomp X out at least and get three heads on Dragon Pulse. Wooo, that makes a lot of difference for Gardy's Bringdown later. But he pulls gallade and flips five prizes to get the K.O. on my one Chomp. We go back and for as a lock deck vs. a tank deck would go. Not to mention the 3 Team Galactics Wagers. The only thing that kept me in the game was my X's power. I got 2 smashing K.O.s but 2 with the power alone. In the end he leaves my with 2 prizes.

2-1 (Its been a long time, 2 months, since I've lost this early in any tourny. A little down)

Round 4: Daniel Chin w/ Jumpluff

Wooooo, it gets easier! The 2008 National Champ! Yeah! And he just won the raffle for the $400 Dragon Frontier Deck Box! I 'm getting even more down now, but as we start, I see its Jumpluff. I feel myself start to cry a little. And not in a bad way. This is my best matchup by far. I get stuck the first couple turns without a Chomp against what had the looks of AMU with Luxray GL before I see Hopip. When all is said and done, he fights to the end but I take my prizes and leave him with 3 or 4. (There was no Mesprit by the way, there was just a lot of uxies and azelf. Just to justify the AMU reference for those uptight people.)

3-1

Round 5: ???? w/FlyChamp Genger

You said that you were excited to meet me and wanted to see how the State Champ deck ran. Sorry, I can't remember your name but I remember the little Bidoof plush you had that was pretty sweet. In all fairness we didn't spend a lot of time together because I had 2 Gibles, 2 Baltoys, 1 Uxie and 1 Rare Candy prize and supporter until turn 5,

And it was a Lookers... I haven't heard Takeout so many times since last years Battle Roads and Cities. I get worked.

3-2

Well I'm on the cuspt of not cutting. Right hear and now I may miss, but I 'll play through. Whats the worst that could happen.:confused:

Round 6: Mike Silva w/ Jumpluff

Yeah, older brother of Mitch, my 3rd round loss. Awsome. Not to mention this particular gentleman beat me final round at last years Regionals and 1st round of top cut. We've met. But like I said, I LOVE seeing Jumpluff and as we sat down, he was less than thrilled to see me. I was a good game in my favor but he put up a good fight. But in the end, redemption is mine.

4-2

Ok, things are looking up. I now have gotten the news if I win the next round I'm in. So I do the only thing I can think of. Hope I see another Jumpluff.

Round 7: Miles ??? w/Jumpluff

Someone out there looooooves me. 1 more pluff on the day. the only thing is, he gets 3 prizes before I get a Garcomp up and running. I was so bad at the beginning I had to E-Belt a Nidorina and Jump Tackle and Uxie to keep up the prize race. But once I get set up with 3 Chomps and Queen, I'm good to go and sweep the board. Very close call though.

5-2

I made it, Topped at 7th place. Lets Roll.

Top 16: Vs. Round 5 Bidoof w/FlyChamp Genger

Game 1: (Just so you know, I didn't know Gengar was in the deck until this momment) It was a total blur, as I remember there was 2 Gengars, 2 Flygons, 1 Machamp, 1 Claydol. No rocket Scientist to see how this went.

0-1

Game 2: I Finally I get set up with Chomps and Queen and I show the meanting of Dragon Rage.

1-1

Game 3: I'm a little nervious. This guy has wreaked me like no other since I've used this deck. (That inludes some beastly mirror matches and MT Blissey's in the past 2 months.) So we start up. I never wanted the Ambipom Donk sooooooo bad in my life. And what do I start with...?

Nidoran F. F is for FAIL! Can I make do with this? He starts with Azelf. Ok, that works. I draw, Queen nice. I drop Uxie to draw a pathetic amount but refusing what could end up an Azelf with an energy, belt and pluspower. Just sayin'. I tackle and let him go. He drops Uxie for the same pathetic amount and locks up. OH HAPPY DAY! Rare candy, queen, belt, K.O. He sends up Uxie. If he gets no basic... He doesn't. DCE Ruthless tail and the win.

Anticlimactic, huh.

2-1

Top 8: Vs. Joe Sanchez w/ Luxchomp/Donphan

By far the most entertaining games I've ever played. We know each other well enough so there was some fun trash talking and heckling. Even the judges got in on it. Great times. But to the "serious" part.

Game 1: A blur of shinanagins and I couldn't hold it off. I think I saw a flash of pie and ducks, not quite sure. Maybe I just blacked out from geting roll so hard, so quick.

0-1

Game 2: He started out fast again but this time no quacking up... yeah thats what I said. Take it. He jumps ahead but 3 but I fight back with the X's power and a lot of Guard Claws and Impacts.

We are 20 minutes in overtime tied at 1 prize each. 25 people still around just watching every move we make because all the other matches are long done. And the time of truth has come. I have 1 prize left. Garchomp active Bebe's for the X. Drop it. FLIP 1, HEADS, I see that (explitive deleated) "Let Loose" Giratina 20 damage away from the K.O. FLIP 2, HEADS. 10 away. I hear the sweet sound of silence as quite literally everyone held there breath. Will it go to a Game 3 Sudden Death? FLIP 3, couldn't have been more dramatic, it hits the table, rolls onto the mat and keeps spinning. 5 LOOOONG seconds later... tails. Everyone exhalies, I even see Joe breath a sigh of releif. In the turns to come he Bright Looks Nidoqueen out with no energys and knows my warp energys and points ar burned and uses Uxie with a belt to rock her over.

0-2

Well, a back-to-back Championship run was just to much. Instead, I lost to the guy that won it all in the end. Oh well. Thats still an amazing run. Cal Champ and Regional #6

Props:

Garchomp SV, the best Solo card out, underrated and underappreciated.
Speed of tourny, much faster and organized than states.
Joe Sanchez, making top cut interesting and enjoyable.
Getting to play the best in the state, because there all in NorCal.
The guys I went with an just a great ride with great players.

Slops:
Being force to get new sleeves, that were deemed illeagal after I finshed the first match but give free Giratina sleeves makes it a wash.

Hope you all enjoy my list and stories.

Last edited:
A tanky stage 2 attacker-setup deck.
Garchomp, one of my favourite pokemon.

These 2 reasons make this tourney ace.
Question though, why 2NM instead of putting in Palmers? you have a low supporter count anyways.

Good job JJ, definitely a good run to a hard to stretch of the season.

Don't get too peeved about Silver wanting you to resleeve, man. He doesn't know you that well and was just being careful. He has every right to point out your sleeves and if the judge deems the sleeves unplayable then I don't understand why you would be upset about it. Just resleeve, move on, and be glad he didn't bring it up during the game giving you a potential game loss.

Still, nice job. That was a tough field. I guess everyone getting on the Pluff hype ended up working out for you, huh? lol

Congrats on getting Top 8! Yeah, Jumpluff really has a hard time beating Garchomp SV. I'm not surprised to see how your Jumpluff matches went. Good luck in the future!

First, should always bring extra sleeves.

This is Regionals, not a Battle Road or a City Championship where I let things slide. Esp when I had to X-1 for a Worlds invite. Sleeves we're clearly worn/marked. Sorry for acting like that, I'm just looking out for the rules and the Spirit of the Game, is there something wrong with that? And yes, I could of called it mid game and potentially give myself an auto win. Would you of had someone else nail you for the sleeves instead of me giving you no penalty at all? You would of had to re-sleeve at cut anyway.

And yeah, you would like me to knock out my g/f because she would of 2-0'd you in cut. Same as Wes who wrecked you @ States after you put back your Garchomp twice back into your deck after it was knocked out.

Last edited:
Every player knows you should bring extra sleeves. I always carry extras of the sleeves I have and a whole extra set in case too many are bad. I carry extra sleeves for other players. In my bag I have to have a set of sleeves for Chad, Silver, random friend, some newbie, and myslef. The fact that you did not bring extra makes you look like an inexperienced player. The fact that no one else you knew had extra sleeves makes you look even worse. Also the fact your mad about it makes you seem newbish as well. When someone asks me to re-sleeve it makes me happy there looking out for the Spirit and Rules of the game.

Read this maybe you will be prepared next time. http://www.sixprizes.com/tips-and-strategy/pokemon-tcg-trainer-kit-rokman/

Your fate stuff which I don't believe is dumb and a sad attempt at a low blow. Its not fate its TOM that paired me up against Him. Silver and I both played a amazing CLEAN tourney and made cut we would have had to play eventually regardless.How many people can say they get to play their significant other in top cut? Not many. Your really lucky how TOM paired you up, seeing as you did not play the top CurseGar players in cut. If you had it would have been me or Wes in top 8.

Stop being so arrogant about winning stuff and look at how you won it. I will be the first to admit there was some easy wins I had at regionals and the tough ones I played hard and CLEAN but lost. Look back at who you played and how you won. Until you can say you outplayed everyone cleanly with pure skill and no luck can you brag about your "titles" until then you don't deserve it.

Top 4 was exactly who it should have been, the top 4 in California. I would not have had that cut any other way. The people who play the game clean and well made it and there not bragging about it.

Last edited:
I edited myself, I was P.O.ed ata lot of things at the time I wrote this, and his was first game. Little bit of pent up frustration and anger. I don't deny the top 4. They earned it, 3 of them lost round 1 and found a way back. (Sanchez almost lost also and made it all 4 0-1) And yes, Gengar tears me apart. I learned from last time, you leave out gengar, I start to tail code. I had tough games and easy ones. Gyarados is hard, along with Gengar. Luck is part of the game, if it wasn't, they would never have made Super scoop or reversal or and coin flip. I've played that with Kingdra, and I like this way better, it keeps the fun that this game was meant for.

About your first round match, you wrote, "number four guy in the state...[he] makes me buy new sleeves beacuse he claims that mine are marked...Calls the judge over who agrees with him and makes me buy ne (sic) sleeves...check the new sleeves with the judge and we're good to go," and in your slops, you wrote, "Being force to get new sleeves, that were deemed illeagal after I finshed the first match but give free Giratina sleeves makes it a wash."

I was the judge. Chris did not make you buy new sleeves. Chris asked me to look at them. I didn't say they were marked, but I did point out examples of wear unique to a sleeve that could be memorized. I did not say that you did that. You were not accused of cheating, but you were playing with sleeves that would be advantages to a cheater. To insure the integrity of the game, and a fair environment for all players, the points one or lost in Santa Clara have a bearing on ranking in all Regions, I afforded you the opportunity to change sleeves out and granted a time extension.

The sleeves you bought, brand new at the event, were highly reflective black sleeves. You brought this to my attention, and I found replacement sleeves for the replacement sleeves at no additional cost to you, and asked you to switch out after the first game.

I don't think you were cheating, or trying to, but Chris was well within his rights to ask for a judge, and your sleeves in the hands of someone without your moral correctness could certainly be used to an unfair advantage.

I appreciate that it was in frustration that you wrote some parts of your post. I want to say that I found you took the ruling well. I found you to be a good competitor. Even though I will be judging over in the Junior division at Nationals, I hope you look for me and say hi. I'll welcome you, shake your hand, and wish you luck.

Back