Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Final Battle Road record for Machampion!!!!

PKM4

Compendium Publishing Assistant
Okay here we go. So at the start of the Battle Road season I was trying to figure out what deck to play. I was sick of Gyarados, I didn't test enough with Jumpluff, and I really wasn't looking to play SP. None of the new cards really stood out as good options so I ended up playing an old favorite known as Machamp. I've had my Machamp deck for a long time but I didn't really play or build it for a tournament competitive environment. So a few weeks before the Battle Roads started I sat down with my Machamp deck and I went through every card I had and came up with how I wanted the deck to run and built it accordingly. I played it like crazy at league and against my friends and family.

The first Battle Roads of the season I was juding so I let one of my friends play the deck. He went 4-1 and had to play Jumpluff in top 4. He lost the first match but in the second he had it won but with the lack of experience of playing the deck he made some misplays that cost him the match. Overall it was a good showing and he definitely had the opportunity to make it to the finals.

The next tournament was right around the corner. I knew Gyarados and Jumpluff would be very popular but I was confident in my bulid and my skills to outplay the other players. I figured that I could get a 1-2 prize lead and maintain the lead with the help of Warp Points and other techs I'd rather not reveal.

Bakersfield BR: 5 rounds of Swiss with a top 4 cut.

Round 1: vs. Gyarados
He starts with Magikarp and goes first and I donk him. 1-0

Round 2: vs. Gardevoir /Gallade
My starter was really bad and I thought I was getting donked because I went first. He starts with Spiritomb and Baltoy. I BTS to Machamp and get rid of Spiritomb. He evolves Claydol and can't get out any other Pokemon. I level up for game. 2-0

Round 3: vs Luxchomp with Donphan
I have the most amazing start and get an early lead. He gets out Donphan w'belt. Once I KO that it was smooth sailing. 3-0

Round 4: vs. DialgaChomp
He goes first with Garchomp C and passes. I donk him. 4-0

Round 5: vs Gyarados
I have a great start except Rare Candy. The match is even with each of us taking 2 prizes. Once he gets his Flotezal X out I couldn't keep up with how quickly his G dos was coming back. 4-1

I'm the top seed and I have to play the G dos deck I donked first round.

Round 5: vs. Gyarados
Game 1: I get off to a slow start and couldn't recover. 0-1
Game 2: Just the opposite of game 1. He has a slow start while I start taking stuff out turn 1. 1-1
Game 3: I have another amazing start while his is lackluster. Once I knock out his first G dos he can't get it back. I go on to sweep. Time is called and I have 1 prize left to his 4. 2-1

Round 6: vs. Luxchomp w/Donphan
Game 1: He donks my Baltoy with Luxray, DCE, belt. I come back and donk his Luxray for game. 1-0
Game 2: I have the donk hand except for a fighting energy. I do everything I can but whiff on the energy. He gets and early lead and I get it 1-1 in prizes. He brings up Uxie, levels up, drops a DCE, drops a lucario and bat for game. 1-1
Game 3: My start was horrifying with a bad starter, no trainers, no supporters, and everything I need is prized. He jumps out to a 2-6 prize lead on me. I finally get a lone Machamp goiing and take 4 straight prizes. It gets down to 1-1. His belted Donphan vs. my Champ X and I did Strong Willed last turn. It comes down to a coin flip. I get a heads and rage his Donphan for 260. I win 2-1.

I win with a 6-1 record and beat G dos multiple times.

The week after I decided to run Champ again. I made two major adjustments to the deck which came in very handy. Sorry I can't give those away.

Ventura BR: 5 rounds of Swiss with a top 4 cut.

Round 1: vs Exploud.
Definitely not as easy as it sounds. He played Wager, Looker, Reversal, and confused my Claydol. He got down to 3 prizes but in the end the weakness overcame him. 1-0

Round 2: vs Luxchomp.
This was against my good friend The General. He goes first and I swear I thought he was going to donk me. He started with Ambipom G but no DCE. He does everything to get the DCE and plays a Roseanne instead of a judge. He didn't get it. I got champ out and that was pretty much game. 2-0

Round 3 vs. Jumpluff
After round 2 we went to Taco Bell. The judges started the next round right away after the last match finished. I had to play my friend Shane. We were both late to the match. We got there with like 1:30 left. We both had horrible starts but I got the advantage of an early prize lead. I played a great match saving my Warp Points for key KO's and leveling up at the right moments.. 3-0

Round 4 vs Tangrowth
She goes first with one Pokemon and passes. I donk her. 4-0

Round 5 vs Jumpluff
Another one, this is annoying. I get champ out super fast and start taking control. I kept my bench small and played a really smart match. 5-0

I'm in top cut again. This is awesome.

Round 6 vs Luxchomp
Again I have to play against another one of my friends.
Game 1: Machamp comes out and starts being a beast. He scoops game 1 at 10 minutes. 1-0
Game 2: His start is amazing and mine could have been better. He sprays everything and I was stuck. He gets a huge lead on me. I'm finally able to get a champ out which evens us and 2-2 all. He needs a Premier Ball top deck to set up the win but he doesn't get it. He holds out his hand for me to shake and says you and machamp. We start laughing. 2-0

Round 6: vs Jumpluff
Me and Shane again. Game 1: It could've went either way early but again I played smart, limited my bench and kept all the good stuff in my hand. I only had out what I needed. 1-0
Game 2: I tell him he can concede so we can go home cause its pushing midnight. He opens his hand. Starts with a Lux and concedes cause his hand sucked. I played out my turn and I coud've donked him. 2-0

I had another amazing tournament going 7-0 with Champ. I beat out all the pluff decks.

Props:
Beating Gyarados decks.
Beating Jumpluff decks.

Slops:
Playing good friends at Ventura.
Almost getting a game loss for tardiness.

So two tournaments bringing home two Victory Medals with a record of 13-1. I beat the odds and took out numerous G dos and pluff decks. Thanks to everyone for making the events fun and entertaining and a special thanks to the judges Kim and Dave. I know what you guys go through and without you guys these tourny's wouldn't be as fun. See ya'll at another BR! Thanks for reading :)

PKM4

Another Battle Road was today and I decided to play the same deck with no changes.

Lancaster BR

Round 1 vs. Kingdra
I go first with her lone Baltoy start and I have Baltoy as well. I pass, she couldn't do anything. I top deck Warp Point and candy to champ for game. 1-0

Round 2 vs. CurseGar
My start sucked, his start sucked but I was able to take a 2 prize lead. He drops down Dusknoir which messed me up. Machamp still kept coming and my sweet tech nabbed 3 prizes and the last one for game. 2-0

Round 3 vs. Tyranitar
He has a good start but I have a better one. Once champ came out he stormed through the deck. 3-0

Round 4 vs. LuxChomp/Donphan
I made a big misplay early when I didn't level up to damage his Donphan. He got an early lead but I fought back. I strong willed the turn before. He attacked with Donphan and I got heads which led to Rage for 260 damage. Next turn I had Warp Point for my last prize. 4-0

Top 2: Me vs. LuxChomp/Donphan
Game 1: I learned from my misplay in swiss so Donphan really wasn't an issue. I played smart and took game 1. 1-0
Game 2: I had a crazy good start and kept control. I used my Warp Points for key KO's and I won. 2-0

I win my 3rd Battle Road in a row with Machamp. I'm battling my way through the tough match-ups and coming out on top. My BR record is now 18-1. My deck has been super consistent and I can't believe it. This has been a great season with the 3 Battle Road wins going along with my 2 City Champ wins. I also have to give props to my brother for his 4th Battle Road win in a row! And thanks to my sister for telling me not to take out my tech which helped me win today. Thanks to everyone for making this a fun day :)

PKM4

So this is the 4th and final BR of the season for me. Its in Bakersfield where I won just 3 weeks earlier. I almost played Luxchomp but I decided to go with what took me to my 3 BR wins. I played Machamp.

Round 1 vs Cesar - Gyarados
This is the guy that gave me my only loss of the BR season. He starts with Sableye and nothing else. I have Chop and Champ. I set up for 6 and whiff on the candy. I get 4 energy. He drops Azelf, Chansey, and Floatzel GL. After I KO sableye he brings up Floatzel and uses Incite for 2 Felicity. I top deck Claydol and cosmic for a Judge. He has 17 cards that are know gone. I take 2 more prizes and he scoops. 1-0

Round 2 vs Shane - Luxchomp
I"m first and start with Baltoy and pass. He starts with Chomp attaches DCE and sets up for 4. He gets E gain and donks me. Nothing I could've done about that. 1-1

Round 3 vs ??? - Dialga/Palkia G
I have a slow start and he Deafen's me. He takes a 2 prize lead. I finally get champ out and begin to sweep. He plays no G's so it was good. 2-1

Round 4 vs Adam - Tyranitar
He's first and starts with Larvitar. I get a lucky top deck and donk him. 3-1

Round 5 vs ??? - Donphan

I'm first and start with Baltoy. I have an amazing start but I'm first. He starts with Baltoy, drops a phanpy attaches belt, warps, set up for 4. plays a few cards and sets up for 3. Gets a Donphan and sets up for a 3rd time. He gets BTS on the last card for the game. 3-2

I can't believe I get donked twice to miss top 4. I end up in 6th place. I know my deck is very good and I can play through matches but I can't do anything about donks so I'll take the losses. My final BR record of the season is 21-3 with two of my losses being donks. I won 3 BR's, two of them going undefeated. I told some people that after this BR I would list my deck because I would not be going to Nats. As it turns out there could be a slim chance of me going so I won't reveal it just yet. There are only 3 people that know my entire list so if ya'll could keep it a secret that would be cool ;) :thumb:

Props:
Beating my prevous swiss loss
Yummy food
Nik, Cole, Adam, Shane, Mike, and Dave for making me laugh

Slops
Getting donked twice :(

Last edited:
Congrats man! Some people may say luck, but great skill is what keeps these reports coming. Good job!

You are a credit to the Mario family! I think I am the only other Master this year to win BR with Machamp. Of course, you must have the secret techs. Congrats!

Oh god, what is this secret tech??

OMG its so top secret I shouldn't have even said its so top secret hahaha ;)

---------- Post added 06/05/2010 at 11:22 PM ----------

You are a credit to the Mario family! I think I am the only other Master this year to win BR with Machamp. Of course, you must have the secret techs. Congrats!

Its all about Machamp man. I saw in the what won BR thread there were 4 champ wins. I guess you've got one and I've got 3. We should exchange thoughts and ideas about the deck since it looks like we're the only two having sucess with it.

good job man you know that twice you've beatin me lol i want to take atleast 1 home haha yea but great job man if i could lose to anyone im glad it was you keep up the good work

good job man you know that twice you've beatin me lol i want to take atleast 1 home haha yea but great job man if i could lose to anyone im glad it was you keep up the good work

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words! You've definitely given me some tough matches and match-ups. The last round of Swiss at Lancaster was crazy and the early round at Ventura when we almost got game losses.

Going for 4 in a row this weekend. SD deck here I come.

Last edited:
You have to admit to the irony of Machamp getting donked. Happens to everyone it seems.

I really have no idea what was in the food there and McD's, if it had THAT effect on the ride home lol...

Good job to you and of course to Nik and Nicole. : )

Back