Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Crazy Idea about changes in the TCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a mulligan rule where if your opening hand is unplayable you could re-draw your opening hand- maybe give ur opponent an extra card as a result of this.

I would also like to see something done concerning how much of a disadvantage it is to go 1st. Haven't seen the outcome of matches effected more by who goes first or second since the beginning of this game. Personally, I'm sick of it and it's really no fun to open with a GOD hand, go 1st, attack, then not get another turn because you won the toss and ur opponent t-1's you.

I like both of the Sniper's suggestions.

How about this... Instead of having to have 1 Pokemon to start the game, you have to have 2 Pokemon - 1 active and 1 on the bench?

It would increase mulligans (on both sides) but we wouldn't have donks.

With regards to "Key Items" idea:

There already exists a mechanic for ongoning changes to the gamestate that only affects one player.

Its called a Poke-Body.

I know this. But I want a new mechanic that does not pile up your bench, so having a diffrent type of card do this seems like a plausible idea. Its just my opinion, I think the game could introduce new decks and concepts with this mechanic, and make the game more enjoyable.

I think the best idea you had was the Key Item idea.

Might I just add, all of your suggestions stem heavily from Magic. But I suppose Pokemon was based on Magic anyways.

If we want to stay consistent with the video game and "fix" the donk:

You can have up to 6 starter pokemon in your deck. They take up a space in your deck but are never shuffled into the deck. Maybe you have an option to expand to up to 62 cards. You automatically start with every one in your deck in play. You are required to start with all your starters in play before you draw your initial hand.

These would not be powerful attacks but would have enough HP to last 1 or 2 big attacks. Maybe a shield that is resistant to all attacks on your opponents first turn. You cannot retreat until you have taken one turn. Low or free retreat after your first turn.

They would have start up attacks such as call - call for family - Smokescreen - hand refresh - search for a poke, trainer, stadium or supporter card.

Possibly some rule like the old fossils where you could discard and not count as being knocked out - to be consistent with the video game you could recall it to its pokeball and it is out of play for the remainder of the game.

If we want to stay consistent with the video game and "fix" the donk:

You can have up to 6 starter pokemon in your deck.

EXODIA, I win!

Wrong game? :tongue:

I'd only be up for 6 starter Pokemon if they were already fully evolved. Because that's true to the video game too. You don't start every battle with a Larvitar and have to evolve it to a Tyranitar.

EXODIA, I win!

I'd only be up for 6 starter Pokemon if they were already fully evolved. Because that's true to the video game too. You don't start every battle with a Larvitar and have to evolve it to a Tyranitar.

:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Although, I do agree with what you've said.

One crazy idea I had one day was, why not have the player have HP, a rather large amount (600 maybe?) in order to elimante donks, as well as add a whole new aspect to the game. Maybe I have compared this to Magic or yugi too much, but I have played all 3 games. The alternative win for this game would be reducing the player's HP to 0, and when the plauyer has no pokemon, he recieves attacks directly. Aditionally, there could be powers, attacks, trainers, supporters, etc which allow pokemon to damage the player directly, just like in MTG or YGO. Imagine the mechanics that could be developed. Although it is a crazy idea, and has NOTHING to do with the anime, could improve the TCG itself by adding a whole new aspect. So would a change like this be worth it? Would it change the TCG too much?
I came up with this idea a few years ago. It's a small world. It would be a fun mechanic from Yugioh to borrow. I think 600 would be too high.

Also, there is another idea I was thinking about to change the game, and this one is much more plausible. For this idea, I was thinking of incormporating more on the "archetype" theme, like including more pokemn types (like Delta or Sp) but with several in a current set. This could add much more variety, rather than just colors or "pairs" of pokemon that work together (Minun/Plusle), (Volbeat/Illumise).
I think the fact that Pokémon has very little of this is one advantage Pokémon has over Yugioh.

Think, we had to wait until Rising Rival until we even got a Trainer/Supporter that refers to a specific Pokémon's name (Charon's Choice).

I was thinking of taking this to a whole new level by adding abilities like the ones in MTG (Like flying, trample, haste). For those not familiar with such mechanics, I will explain. They are basically common abilities shared by several pokemon that could work in diffrent ways, such as during attacking, drawing cards, discarding cards, etc. These should be diffrent from powers/bodies, and could be used so that cards with same abilities work together. I would like for these archetypes to have a decent deck on their own, so that at least a decent budget deck could be made out of the several archetypes that could spring. It is sort of similar to pokebodies, but having a common name and ability in several pokemon during a set, and more importantly. abilities that work together. They could be complemented with their own trainer set for support and or stadiums. They would be a nice addition so more pokemon can work together, and would encourage the use of more pokemon in a deck, as oppsoed to trainers/supporters, which have most of the space in the deck.
too complicated.

EXODIA, I win!

Reminds me of this thread.

Last edited:

Found this post in that thread:

Mechanics I don't think we will see...
Increasing the number of prize cards.
Opponent gets to actively play cards during your turn.
Combos: by which I mean having to play two cards to achieve a single effect. Individually the cards do nothing.
Omission of any of the current mandatory steps in the game: eg preventing your opponent from drawing at the begining of their turn.
Healing of damage as a status effect.

- Lol Dialga Palkia legend
- Lol Power Spray/Alakazam MT
- Lol Legends/PokeX +
- Lol Dialga X
- Last one I got nothing

So yeah, never say never.

Found this post in that thread:

- Lol Dialga Palkia legend
- Lol Power Spray/Alakazam MT
- Lol Legends/PokeX +
- Lol Dialga X
- Last one I got nothing

So yeah, never say never.

Haha, well then, I suppose anything is possible after all. :rolleyes:

Why would players have hp that is so stupid if u want that play mtg the whole reason there are 6 prize cards is cuz in the pokemon games which were out before the card game u can only have 6 pokemon in your party that is the dumbest idea I've ever heard and I know that nintendo would never do that

---------- Post added 07/30/2010 at 06:43 PM ----------

This is the dumbest artical I've read go play mtg if you want pokemon to be it so bad that's why I play pokemon if I want to play mtg I would the end period

some of you guys keep refering to the video games.
What if they had a card like the snag machine and shadow pokemon?--from the game cube
steal an opponents pokemon? cards that have black and purple auras coming from them...cool.

The only thing I'd think would be appropriate is move the "no pokemon in play" check to the end of your turn instead of being instant.

You go to attack,... nothing to attack with, you lose.

That way you have that one single turn to play a Supporter and find/play a basic.

I'd prefer one or two new mechanics as to what you have posted. Remember that kids younger than 6 play this game as well so it cannot be very complicated...

I would want;

~Body; When this Pokemon is knocked out, draw until you have 6 cards in your hand

That is all

If I wanted more magic in my pokemon, I'd probably play more magic. The only thing that really needs to be fixed is the first turn wins. I also don't like forced archetypes either. I don't like the hp idea because it fails to make pokemon distinct from other card games. It would be pointless if we overlapped too much with other card games because then we'd be trying to draw in players with the same mechanics. The reason why a lot of other card games fail, even though they're really good games, is because they borrow too much from existing properties to the point where people just buy the existing property because they have an established player base.

Archetype themes will also be difficult to implement unless you make the sets bigger. The base cards from sp's took up nearly an entire set, and then some for several sets after that. You also have to keep developing the theme in order to keep the archetypes modular enough to maintain freshness. The problem in pokemon is that cards are inherently dependent on other cards already, we have evolution that forces other cards into decks without having a second thought, and that reduces the amount of room to develop a theme in a specific deck. SP's got it right by making every pokemon a basic, but we can't do that with every single other deck otherwise pokemon will just be a magic where all the costs are free.

A key item card with multiple uses would be interesting, you probably could even leave it as a goods card and nothing would change.

To add to this, I want to see the "play abilities on your opponents turn" cards developed more. Even though I know people hate power spray, I'd like to see more done with this idea. I doesn't have to be stuff that stops powers all the time, but I'd like to see if anything can be done with this. I know it borrows heavily from instants, but I think it'll make the game far more interesting.

The Key Item idea was sort of played around with in an old japanese vending machine set. They were additional game rules which were chosen BEFORE the start of the game. Here are some examples:

4 Prize Battle
This is a rule by which each player puts out 4 prize cards to battle when he or she would put out 6 prize cards to battle. The player who Knocks Out 4 of his or her opponent's Pokémon and draws all 4 prize cards wins.

And before burn was added [more to add to your list], and before confusion was re-updated
20 Damage From Confusion
This is a simple rule for when a Pokémon uses an attack while it is Confused and the coin was tails (when the Pokémon was Confused). If the attacker flipped, and was Confused, regardless of the type of attack, the Pokémon that used the attack itself receives 20 damage.

or

3 Deck Battle
Each battling player readies 3 decks with different contents. Next, they put their decks face down in play and decide the order of the decks with which they will battle. Also, they start battling with the decks 1 time each in the decided order. The player who won twice in the end wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back