Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

3-1 or 2-2 Garchomp

I've seen 2-2 for the most part actually in Luxchomp; 3-1 was the old style, but 2-2 seems to be the play these days. Which makes a bit of sense, more consistency and saves some bench space if you don't have to play an Azelf, bench space can get tight sometimes.

I always play 2-2 Garchomp in almost EVERY SP deck I play. The exception was a 1-1 line I had in my DialgaChomp, although a 2-2 is more consistent, but I was having trouble finding space.

I could see 3-1 Garchomp being played in Garchomp toolboxes, etc. decks, in which SP vs. SP matchup matters the most. After all, SP matchups are a lot about Garchomp C Lv.X sniping Garchomp Cs.

Though efficient use for 3-1 lineup would most probably require Premier Ball or a few. 3-1 extends the lineup most here, giving you the possibility to get the upper hand even if your opponent has got the Garchomp advantage due to faster start, etc.

Though 2-2 seems like the most usable lineup in tight lists.

2-2 is better imo.
If you get 2 Garchomp C Lv.X's out, then you can't get sniped while on the bench.

If you play 3-1, then 2-3 premier ball would be needed to get them from the discard. (Assuming you don't play 2 aarons)
Like Mr. Hawk said, 2-2 would be better in a tight, and teching situation.

A 2-2 line also allows you to burn less Poke-Turns to use multiple Healing Breaths and Dragon Rushes. However, it hurts more when a Garchomp C is sniped off the bench. I think it's down to personal preference, but I like 2-2 better.

Am I the only one that's going to mention the possibility of a 2-1 line? Starting with it is okay... you can donk an Unown Q. :/ But really, the Lv.X is easy enough to search out with just about anything, and I simply don't see the need to run more than two of the Basic. Or more than one of the Lv.X for that matter, if you're running Azelf.

A 2-2 is absolutely superior to a 3-1, but I'm in favor of the 2-1.

I ran 2-1 last season, mainly because I REALLY wanted to get that one last tech in. Worked pretty well, as having the extra one let me bait people into a mistimed KO on it.

I play 2-1 Dialga and 2-2 Garchomp with no Premiere Ball and only 1 Aarons and I have never hit a consistancy problem.

They both have their merits and their downfalls. In the end it comes down to the list, the metagame, and your playstyle. Overall, I prefer 2-2.

A 2-2 is absolutely superior to a 3-1, but I'm in favor of the 2-1.

This is so wrong. Run into any good player with SP who is running a 3-1 Chomp and the matchup is heavily out of your favour. You just can't afford to give them that advantage when SP is as big as it is - it's almost like not running Toxicroak G Promo or a Garchomp counter in the mirror, it gives you a huge disadvantage.

I don't even consider 2-2 that much because of that fact and I've seen top tier SP lists which all run 3-1.

Are we factoring in Garchomp counters here? If a list is running two counters to chomp (say 1 Ambipom G and 1 Dragonite FB), 2-2 is fine.

I like the idea of 3-1, but having the Lv.X prized really hurts you for bench space (being forced to play Azelf). Also if it is prized, what if another key card is prized? It just ends up in a headache in my opinion.

Back