Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

...:::!!!*** prague european cup 1st place masters report ***!!!:::...

Charlie1322

Hi guys !

I finally find some time to write report from European Cup. I had to wrote it in my language first and I made it pretty long (11 A4) but now I would like to describe you how I went on this event.

Preparations :

I knew a long time ago that I will play like a Local Czech PRO player, with bounty on my head, so I probably should started testing, but I really did not have taste to play and I was pretty sure that I will play my version on Lady GaGa deck, that I played on Nats and that I tested a lot before it, but 3 days before tournament I get and idea to play metagame counter deck – Machamps. It was so crazy to try this, but I really did not want to play a lot of mirrors and matchup agains Sabley / Chen Lock also wasnt dream, so I decided to go all-in and try to broke field. In Thursday I went on you league, where I went 2-1 against VileGar and lost 2-3 from bo5 against Chen Lock. In Friday mornig I played against Sabley Lock and lost 1-2 so my final score from playtesting was something like 5-6, from which I decided that I can get 4-3 in EC and be happy from 25th place, what was top of my expectations.

Here is my list :

Deck name : THE DECK.

Pokemon : 21
4-3-3-1 Machamp Lv. X
1-1 Umbreon
3 Uxie
2 Ditto
1 Smeargle
1 Azelf
1 Unown Q

Trainers: 28
4 Collector
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Bebe
1 Luxury Ball
4 Poké Drawer+

2 PONT

4 Rare Candy
3 BTS

3 Warp Point
1 Palmer

Energy: 11
4 Fighting
4 Rainbow
3 DCE

Friday :

I went with my friend Pepa to hotel DUO where we waited for a while on other stuff guys and than started with prepatations for the event. I take care about printer and feature match camera and than watched new coming players. After all stuff was made we went for a dinner and after it I started organized night poker and after it was done I went home pretty tired. At home I watched some StarCraft 2 replays, wrote decklist and put my deck into new sleeves and went sleep (probably in 0:30 and alarm clock was set on 8:00 so … X_x).

Saturday :

I went into hotel DUO in 9:20 and waited until seatings were printed, after that I went to seat next to Miguel Garcia, Alessandro from Italy and Matheieu from France that made some jokes about single girls in Prague and everyone at the table have pretty good fun before tournament started. After Snox's (organizer) and Dana's (invited famous Czech actress) talk I waited for pairings and than go to my 1st opponent.

1st Round Moreno Marucci (Italia) SP deck
This was quick game. After we shuffled decks we started. I get my Machamp T2 into game, but main problem for my opponent wasnt Machamp but no supporter open hand and no top decks, so this was quick gg.

1-0 start is always good

2nd round Richard Crowley (Germany) Charizard, Typloshion, Ninetales
Hmm Charizard is definitely bad matchup for me, so I hope in some dream draw. Dream doesnt came and I started with alone Smeargle and my opponent with Charmander. I started and went into Portrait where I with pleasure found no supporter. My opponent had T2 Charizard but no nrgs and supporters so I wanted this game end asap, but I get Machamp into game in T3, after my opponent have Charizard with nrg and Typloshion Prime, but still no suporters. I get Charizard 2HKO via my Lv. X and that another 2HKO to belted Typloshion for pretty big lead after not so action start of game. First supporter for my opponent went one turn before game end so easy gg.

2-0 hmm :)

3rd round Matthias Michel (Austria) LuxChomp

I had slower start (T3 Machamp) but my opponent also doesnt had some kind of dream draw, so game looks pretty balanced but after another 2 Machamps into play I definitely had table edge and this gg won. I had to ask my opponent if he could faster, and after this he immediatelly said Dragon Rush after stoping everything what he did do … I really dont understood this move, cuz situation was better for me and slowplaying was not that what he should wanted and I was very surprised for so quick answer. GG

3-0

4th round Stefan Weber (Austria) Sabley Lock

This was pretty cool guy and our game was very close. We both had enough cards that we needed but I did not get any kind of discard so my setup was very confortable agains Sabley lock, better than usually. The game was so close that if he drew his DCE, I will be in huge troubles and need to draw Palmer and Communication to get my Machamp back, but he did not drew his dream energy and I went into 4-0.

4-0 WOW ! Whats a dream ! I really didnt expect this start into tournament after my noob testing results …

5th round Ryan Tur (England) SP deck feature match

We played on feature match. I had very bad start with late T4 Machamp and my opponent was in prize lead and all game showed me how SP decks are imbalanced – on every my move had answer, mostly in 2HKO Machamp and for win I had to play Palmer to get bach 2 of them, what I finally did and won, cuz I had Palmer on my open hand from start of game. I really dont understood my situation – I can beat deck with pretty strong draw on feature match and had 5-0.

5-0 now I started believe that I will be into TOP 16, cuz now I will play only with good opponents that will made me good resist even if I get 2 losses now.

6th round Tobias “ShadowGuard“ Thesing (Germany) Dialga Toolbox

I finally met him live. The guy that I playtested last yeat a lot on RS. He always played pretty well. But in our game he doesnt need a lot of his skill, our game was pretty easy – He started with call from his active Dialga G and call for something. I had possible T1 Machamp draw but I needed to draw Machamp or some card that allow me to search for it. I didnt get any of these cards an end my turn with active Machoke via BTS. He easily went for Flash Bite + Turn and via Cyrus for Metal NRG and Gain FTW x(. Easy GG.

5-1 I lost but Tobias had also 5-0 so was ok, dream top cut is so close …

7th round Jan Rodek (Czech Republic) LGG

We pretty well know each other from all of our tournaments and I was glad that last round will be more friendly especially if we both had top cut nearly guaranteed … I had again slower draw with possible T3 Machamp, but his start T2 Bright Look for Machop KO, T3 Spray on Uxie + Dragon Rush for another Machop KO and T4 again Bright look for my 3rd Machop did not get my any change to won this game, so GG 5-2 is also good result IMO.

We waited for a moment for final standings where I saw that I am 7th in TOP 16, so I was pretty happy, this was really dream that I did not expect.
After everyting ended we went with Tomáš, Pepa, Martina, Miguel, Matheiu, Roberto - The Godfather with The Black One xD and any other guys, mostly from France on pizza and beer, where we had a lot of fun and pretty good talk with Tomáš, Miguel a Matheiu and after it we went home and foreigners went on some party into city. So cool evening guys ! Thanks for it :) !

Sunday :

TOP 16 is here. Before our match my opponent Julian Wong found me and we had sooo cool and friendly talk about, card games, hockey and much other stuff and after it we went on feature match under the camera that showed every our move to all observers in room, that watched on big screen in the middle of room.

G1 : In swiss I never showed T1 Machamp, but first game of Top Cup and I started T1 Machamp after my opponent called for Garchomp C and Chatot. I thought that he has pretty bad open hand and therefore I wanna play most of card of my hand so I put Smeargle on bench and get my hand on 2 cards + Take Out. He drew and went for Mimic that gave him 3 new cards. My next turn I had 2nd Machamp and again went for a prize. He drew again creppy draw and gave up.

G2 : We both had decent start for me T2 Machamp, for him Collector and better setup than last game. I started took prizes and Julian wanted to slow me down via Bright Look, but I had energy for retreat a started to be in front of him. Our last turn was if he wanted to found his Psychic Energy and Lock Up my active after Bright Look but I showed him my Warp Point and he scooped up. GG !

I apologized him for both games, but he was very good mannered and said that “its part of game“ and wished me good luck for next games. More of these players ! It was awesome to met you Julian, I very appreciate that, GL You in life :) !

TOP 8 Tobias “ShadowGuard“ Thesing (Germany) Dialga Toolbox feature match

2nd feature match in a row, but now without camera, but with Matheiu and his Pc :). I was pretty unhappy that I had to played with Tobias, cuz he is really high level skill player that I respect and also he played a lot of techs against Machamp like Shuppet with Expert Belt and switch for Toxicroak G (non promo, anti-Machamp, I will call it AntiCroak) and Skuntank with some stadiums.

G1 : I had T1 Machamp that takes out something, but Tobias went for his combo Shuppet + AntiCroak. In next turn I went for another Machamp and tried to seach for some Warp Points that I rated as win card. After his fist hit and run for AntiCroak I played my 1st Warp Point for prize, turn after this with 2nd Machamp again and for win I played my 2 Poke Drawers and went for my 3rd Warp Point that won my game 1. GG

G2 : I started with Smeargle, I Portraited and Tobias showed me hand without supporter. That was hand that I wanted see and get him his turn. He drew and immediatelly showed me Collector from the top ! Hmm that sucked pretty well, and I hoped in some revange ! I gave Deafen this turn and was so far behind. Even if I was so behind I could took 4 prizes but Tobias played this game very well and Koed all of my machamps after time limit was called, and won this game, cuz he took 5 prizes, so we went into sudden deatch.

Before sudden deatch we called judge that said us, that we have to flip about who starts, flip decided that Tobias went first. He called for something with his Dialga a gave me turn. I had playable start with Collector, that went for Machop, Uxie and Azelf because I knew that one of my Machamp was prized. I played everything and need to draw Rare Candy or Broken Time-Space. My Draw power was only Uxie for 2 but I had to … I played Uxie, Set Up and start drawing …. I drew first card … look at it …. an it was RARE CANDY FTW :))) !!! WOW !!! Ufffff. Here was revange for that Collector :) ! I knew that my tournament's live is now on this sudden deatch and was so happy that I draw it and didnt make it more dramatical. Tobias looked pretty unhappy and I totaly understand it. Sorry for this Tobias, but top deck for top deck ;-) !

Ok I went into Top 4 where was only Me, two LuxChomps and Sabley Lock so I feel pretty good and started hoping in winning full tournament.

TOP 4 Marco Brandoa (Portugal) LuxChomp

G1 : This game was similar like game with Jan Rodek in swiss. My opponent had everything what he needs and I had nothing so easy game for him. GG

0-1

Hmm 0-1 is sick, but I still believed in my deck and knew that this matchup is great for me.

G2 : This game was totaly different – I had T2 1st Machamp and my opponet had slower draw with not ideal combiation of supporters and every cyrus that searched for any special supporter like Collector and Bebe gives me prize, so my T5 3 Machamps ended this game for my welfare.

1-1 I am one game from the finals … thats unbelieveable … I didnt test this deck and it worked so awesomely wow …

G3 : Now we both had normal open draw so I think that this game determined our matchup, where I had T2 Machamp that took me 3 prizes, cuz my opponent sacrified one Pokemon like a cost to stronger setup position instead of KOing it and taking prize. Rest of game was easy I had 3 prizes to took and every my Machamp can be only 2HKOed so easy game for me. GG !

Hmm turning from 0-1 into 2-1 in TOP 4 gave me a lot of positive energy, cuz I believed in my deck very well after TOP 4 matches.

FINALLY FINALS !!!

Finals : Filipp Laush (Austria) Sabley Lock

Filipp looked like some Emo punk guy with cool hat. We talked a little before finals that was again on screen for all guys that waited for it and after everything was prepared, we started.

G1 : Great game. I get alone Unown Q start and he started with Sabley and special Darkness for taking first game for him !

Sick ! Amazing … Donk in finals, so skill game play … All guys in room started screaming after they saw it … But I still believe in my skills and deck and even under this screaming I tried to concentrate as well as I could and here comes game 2.

G2 : I had quick Machamp that took my a lot of prizes, but than he played his Honchcrow (Stage 1) and with Riot he Koed my Machamp, but I had Ditto with DCE and like a final move I played Warp Point that gave me Garchomp C Lv. X active and after I attached energy and used Dragon Rush into his Garchomp I won this game.

Finally I used Ditto :).

G3 : Here we go … last game of tournament … I am one game from winning hole tournament ! But he is in same position ;-) :-D. He decided that I will go fist. I started with Eevee and Ditto, he with Garchomp C and benched Sabley. I played only Azelf that gave me prized Machamp. In my opponents turn Filipp went for his first prize card via Sabley's Overconfident. I went in with Ditto and played Machop + RC + Machamp and used Quick for safe retreat and went or new hand via my PONT. But what happen … I did not get an Energy on my hand ! Damn ! My last chance is play alone Poke Drawer+ and draw it from the top. I played it and put top card of my deck face down on the table where I rotate it with my middle finger … COME ON ! ONE TIME ! COME ON ! I thought and than I decided to show it on camera and look at it ….. after I did it I looked on my foiled, easy looked, brown Fighting Energy, which I immediatelly attached to my active Machamp and took my first prize card. After I showed it on camera hole room explode ! WOW ! This was my life top deck that I will never forget until end of my life :). After this my opponent KOed some of my Machamps but I still have huge edge. In middle of the game he went for some distrupt, so played Chatot G on me and went for Iniciative via Impersonate and get 2 heads, but I counter this move with my Ditto with DCE which went for PONT that gives me new hand and shuffled my deck. He played his Garchomp C Lv. X and Dragon Rushed my Ditto, which copy it back in next turn for prize. His last move was Psychic Restore for 40 to my Azelf and I knew that I win this game, cuz my Warp Point. I thinking for a little moment, cuz know that hole room will be screaming after I play it ftw and after I get enought of silence I played it and started taking gratulations :))).

UFFFFF !!! WHOOOOOOÁÁÁÁÁ !!! I WON ! :)))

I won travel awards in cost of 342 Euros and awesome trophy :) !

After the finals Filipp immediately showed his two last prizes – Murkrow and Azelf, that had to suck, but I really dont think that they will help you so much like you wrote in your report, I always had Lv. X in my hand, cuz I was little scared od Honchrow so … anyway grats for your 2nd place !

Now I would like to thanks to Tomáš Cícha that made this event and made me like Local PRO that means a lot for me, thank you Tomáš, thank you very much, you made awesome event without any Pokemon Company sponzorship (mega ROFL to Pokemon Company for this brave move, thumb up guys), you should be proud on yourself !

Now I would like to thanks everyone who wished me luck, I really get it if I was in huge troubles, so thank you guys !

Now some props and slops :

PROPS :

+ at first – Julian Wong – Awesomely mannered guy, that I really wont beat, but I had to x( sorry again sir !
+ other guys – Matheiu Sirel – so funny guy and aweome writer, thx for your coverage :) ! Also your story with bottle of Vodka I will remember for a long time :-D !
+ Miguel Garcia – Nice to meet you sir, you are awesome ;-)
+ The Godfather Roberto, with The Black One :-D – you made amazing beatbox and all time made great jokes :) ! Also nice to meet you
+ Tobias Thesing – I finally met you, I am really glad for it :)
+ Roselba Chiofalo – amazingly beautifuly girl that I did not talk to x( (omg why 0_o ? :-D)
+ Saturday's night pizza and beer with cool guys
+ I WON :-DDD !!!
+ Organisation team worked pretty well
+ THE DECK.
+ Luck against Tobias in Sudden Deatch and in finals – I LOVE YOU POKE DRAWER+ :)
+ I turned twice (top 4 and finals) from 0-1 into 2-1 :)

SLOPS :

- Pokemon Company
- from the tournament probably nothing, but after it here on Gym some ridiculous speculations about that I cheated LOL …
- an all in all guys that cant get that they lost :-(
- next European Cup will be next year, thats too long :-( :-D

I hope that you enjoy my report and please be polite for my gramatic mistakes and missclisck, thanks.

Charlie

Last edited:
haha no need to apologize man! we both know how these card games work, that day just wasnt my day....it was yours =)

You forgot to say in finals, that my Murkrow and Azelf was prized in trhe last game....
that was why you won the 3rd game ;D
Nice Report and really biiiiig luck^^
Gratz anyways^^
Filipp.
(I like your list)

Great report, and you did a brilliant job countering the meta with that list.

Congrats on a deserved win!

@ iPokemaster

Thanks for your posts :)

@ Julian

;-)

@ Darkmot

I wrote it after I wrote prizes that I won ;-). Thank you for your post also.

@ Baby Mario

Thank You :) ! I probably could better describe my decklist and maybe I will do it later ...

@ Martinek

Thanks ;-)

Just ignore the stacking rumours, two lucky top decks from over 11 games doesn't make you a cheater and I'm sure if you did stack you wouldn't open with just an Unown Q in the final ;).

Congrats on the win, you definately took a gamble playing that deck but it worked out perfectly and the gamble paid off.

You forgot to say in finals, that my Murkrow and Azelf was prized in trhe last game....
that was why you won the 3rd game ;D
Gratz anyways^^
Filipp.
(I like your list)

Seriously, not having Honchkrow is nowhere near as bad as opening with a lone Unown Q. Honchkrow isn't that brilliant a Machamp counter - Lv X up and it's easily one hit ko'd. He won the first game even though you had Honchkrow, so there's a good chance it would have happened in the second as well. It seems like everyone is bringing down his win, blaming it on cheating or bad luck. He outplayed everyone else, thought up a great deck idea and is the 2010 Europeon Champion - let him have his moment.

Last edited:

You did already get your share of luck with him starting with Unown Q in one of the games anyway. I'd much rather have Azelf and Murkrow prized, than open with a lone Unown Q. Honchkrow can be OHKO'd by a Machamp Lv.X and two heads on Hurricane Punch anyways pretty easily, whether opening with lone Unown Q is pretty much good game.

Congrats, you did really well, and I considered the deck with Ditto and Umbreon but was a little put off. . . You've proved me wrong!

Seriously, not having Honchkrow is nowhere near as bad as opening with a lone Unown Q. Honchkrow isn't that brilliant a Machamp counter - Lv X up and it's easily one hit ko'd. He won the first game even though you had Honchkrow, so there's a good chance it would have happened in the second as well. It seems like everyone is bringing down his win, blaming it on cheating or bad luck. He outplayed everyone else, thought up a great deck idea and is the 2010 Europeon Champion - let him have his moment.
Watch the Video when it comes out and then you know what I mean.... AND with Honchkrow I can win that Machamp MU even if you don't believe it ;D
-Filipp.

Watch the Video when it comes out and then you know what I mean.... AND with Honchkrow I can win that Machamp MU even if you don't believe it ;D
-Filipp.

Filipp: stop complaining about your bad luck. Either play 2-2 Honchkrow or 2 Azelfs :p You can't even think you can get your crow in more than 9/10 of games. How many times was your murkrow/Honchkrow prized together with Azelf during your 12 games before you have started to play with Michal? If I were you I would be happy it got prized in finals :)

BTW your deck is great and congrats for your 2nd place. I hope you have enjoyed the tournament and will come back next year for European CUP 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

-Filipp.

I know Honchkrow makes it better, but I think it's still in his favour because he won game 2 when it wasn't prized - he'd also be more prepared for that tech in game 3. You both had a easy game, thats what can happen in Pokemon but it just seems like you're saying he doesn't deserve 1st when he does.

It's MATHIEU, not Matheiu ! I'm gonna call you Machil now !

Congratulations Machil on you win ! You made a gamble by playing Machamp, and it paid out !
There's a saying : "Unfortunate in love, fortunate a games", you should thank your 21 years of bad sex ! :D

See you at worlds, I hope :)

WOW ! I am very very very sorry about mutilation your name, but it was missclick, cuz I tried to wrote fast ! :D

No, really sorry for this ! It was so cool to met you sir, it wasnt purposly ;-) :

See ya at wor... ehhh early I hope :) !

BTW : Machil sounds sooooo cool :p THX 4 it :D

Its really hard to mis-spell Ina (oops!)

congrats on the win.

Thinks 9-2 on the day so approx +56 ratings points. Just what would have been so bad about K32 for this event???

Thinks 9-2 on the day so approx +56 ratings points. Just what would have been so bad about K32 for this event???

K32 tournaments should be judged by people who know the rules and not by professors who don't even know that Magic sleeves are not allowed in Pokemon tournaments perhaps?
K16 is still 4 times more than any BR which are going on now.
In a way it's more than a K32 which is done in the same period when SPT's are running = both with same K-value.

And untill we get announced if there is any "value/benefit" on gaining ratingpoints (like invites) 16K is a nice one.

Hi Michael

It was nice to meet you at this very cool Tournament!
And Props that you got the Win (As a Pro Player,everyone wants to beat yout but you was enough consistent to take the Win!)
I hope you will come to San Diego at Worlds!
You're really a good Friend :thumb:

Props for this

Greets Miguel Garcia

Back