Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The End of SP

Yah, luxchomp is really dead, I guess martin moreno and chris fulop at the top of the rankings means they're just lucky =\

LuxChomp is still the best deck in the format. Gyarados is a close second. Vilegar is still horrible. Machamp can't beat vilegar or Gyarados, and therefore becomes a worse and worse deck choice the less the "average" player uses SP. So the less SP gets used, the less you can justify using Machamp, and the easier it is for SP to exist despite it. For reference, at Cities this weekend, me and Martin went roughly 10-1 ( the loss being my Unown Q getting t1d ) vs Machamp using LuxChomp.

The issue isn't " SP being dead " as most of the games top players have been doing extremely well with it still. The issue is a lot of peoples lists have fallen behind and haven't caught up to the other new deck builds yet. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You gotta respect the lock. Trainer lock vs Gyarados/SP/Machamp is nasty.

You gotta respect the lock. Trainer lock vs Gyarados/SP/Machamp is nasty.

The problem is the only one it truly kills is Machamp. Gyrados runs Rescue + Regice + Combee's, and can usually play around trainer lock. Worse yet if they have a luxray tech, in which case it's pretty much game once the lock is down.

As for SP's, you have the same problem. Most SP decks run either Luxray, Blaziken, or a Dialga. I mean, even Garchomp can snipe benched plumes. Once the plume is down, it's pretty much game from there on out, SP's have plenty of ways to work around fainting spell, and rescue energy. Also don't forget allot of people are teching in Roserade GL, which helps with not just gyrados, but also against vilegar for locking in a tomb, and grabbing the first prize or two before you even take your first shot.

All in all, the only one who truly suffers is Machamp from a mix of weakness, and his inability to deal with a constant trainer lock. Overall I have problems putting vilegar in the top 4 with those problems.

As far as this whole "end of SP" things goes. Just look at the cities winners. Are SP as strong as they used to be? Nah. Is LuxChomp still the most winning deck? I'd have to say so.

See ya round the block guys!

It isn't dead, just that there are more variety in the game. Hopefully there are more varieties so that the number of SP will be reduced. lol

I admit that you are right on that concept, however I am of the opinion that Luxchomp is FAR too easy to play for almost anyone.

I've literally taken five minutes in testing against various tier one decks for not only one turn, but for one move. If you think the deck is too easy, I'd say you're building it wrong.

My knowledge of this game may seriously be in question, but even I know that SP are not dead. Not yet.

VileGar is not auto loss for SP, nor is Gyarados or Machamp.

Many people tech in Drifblim FB to combat Vileplume.
Shuppet or Banett for Machamp and Luxray has always worked for Gyarados.

Currently the only difference is that SP will not be the only deck in teh top 4. But they will be top cutting and winning still none the less.

Currently the only difference is that SP will not be the only deck in teh top 4. But they will be top cutting and winning still none the less.

How could SP ever be the only deck in the top 4? The idea of the top 4 is that there are 4, not 1. No one deck can be the single deck in a "top 4".

How could SP ever be the only deck in the top 4? The idea of the top 4 is that there are 4, not 1. No one deck can be the single deck in a "top 4".

Perhaps I worded that poorly.
I mean, when LuxChomp first bacame the BDIF, the top 4 were usually forms of SP decks.

While SP decks have not died yet, they are no longer the only decks in the top cut. Gyarados and other decks can share top cut now.

Back