Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Shiftlock For Cities (Maybe?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaPenguin65

Hello friends, I got a RR box for christmas (Yes, I did get a Luxray X :thumb: ), and today, I was looking throught the contents and saw Shiftry RR. I saw that it had a lot of locking potential, preventing the active from wanting to attack and also power and body locking. BUT, I knew Dialga could destroy it. Until I realized that Shiftry Body locks. SO, without further ado, SHIFTLOCK

:pokemon: 22
3-3-3 Shiftry RR
2-2-2 Vileplume
4 Spiritomb
2 Uxie
1 Unown Q (for freetreat)

:Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:26
4 Copycat (Great with trainer lock and "Conform")
4 Judge (Disrupt and "Conform")
4 Bebe's Search
4 Pokemon Collector
4 BTS
2 Rare Candy
2 Seeker (Just for filler and Uxie reuse)
1 Palmer's Contribution

:Energy: 12
4 Special Dark
3 Regular Dark (Just in case)
3 DCE (Speedy "Seal Off")
2 Warp Energy (for Villeplume saving)

The stategy is to set up with spiritomb and Get a T2/T3 VIleplume and Shiftry out disrupting and destroying the opponent. "Conform" to make them furious with the trainer lock and "Seal Off" to make them furious with Power/Body lock. Nuzleaf can snipe around opponent's bad starts. Pretty similar to Vilegar/Genplume in a way, but different.

Comment help! :D

Last edited:
Yeah That's what I was thinking. I'm testing it right now against my Gyara and It's 2 prizes left for this deck and 5 for G-dos. It's actually better than I thought. So I might do:

-1 Rare Candy

+1 Warp

Maybe. But I can still use Q then Add energy and retreat.

I'll suggest running a few warp energies. Ur vileplume will be a prime target for bright look/luring flame for disruption and warp energy helps solve that problem.

Yeah, I feel that I should add a 1-0-1 Of shiftry for -2 Miasma due to the fact that my hands are usually all void. Also, as for warp, I can really only afford to get rid of a copycat and a Rare candy, but that still doesn't feel comfortable.

You can afford to get rid of 1 Bts, Or even more depending on your metagame, If you have heavy vilegar you can drop it to 2 if you want, they run at least 3 as it is, having 4 makes it a dead draw late game and a liability against Vilegar, I would drop 1 Bts for another warp energy

@ everyone
Memory would be for fun, not really competitive. The point is to make their Pokemon unable to attack by having the same amount of cards in their hand, not to snipe around because they can still retreat if needed. Plus, I can power lock luxrays (I'm pretty sure) and body lock dialga, not to mention other things like making gengar not fainting spell you. So, rare candy for setup, memory berry not for setup.

Well, memory berry allow you to use the attack on nuzleaf that makes your opponent flip for attack, with shiftrys body, your opponent will always flip tails, but yes that is more Theorymon than anything, your better off with candys, By the way
You can't block luxray's Bright lock because in order to use it they have to lvl Up there for removing the effect of Seal off. Also it won't stop Fainting spell either because Fainting spell is activated on your attacking turn, Seal off only counts during your opponents turn

Yeah that's why I was iffy on both of those things. But still, it's better, in my opinion, to do 40 damage and prevent them from attacking. It can pretty much ruin gyarados and regigigas, since they can't retreat. As the title suggests, I am going to play this at cities and use gyara when I get the cards for it.

I would use Gyarados for cities, man. Its more professional than this.
The deck seems pretty interesting by the way.

Gyarados would just warp out of it, or when it finally gets Koed, smack you in the face. Its really not that great of an option to play, though it is a cool idea, not all that competitive. Ask David. He played it at regionals last year, and went 1-6.

Most Gyara's have very limited warps, and they aren't searchable, but I'll take your word on playing G-dos.

---------- Post added 12/28/2010 at 07:35 AM ----------

and just to add on:

Nuzleaf's blind: 10-20 damage and not attack NEXT TURN.

Shiftry's conform: 40-50 damage and not attack AS LONG AS THE OPPONENT IS ACTIVE.

So, now you realize that Meory B/erries would clog up the system.

I was working on a Shiftry deck just today. It really is a severely underappreciated card, it can do a lot of damage. I didn't pair it with Vileplume, though, I opted for Drapion lvX. But even though my strategy is a little different, I'm using two cards that I think would complete your lock-down of the opponent.

Try playing Darkrai, both Darkrai SP and Darkrai from Majestic Dawn. Darkrai SP does 10 damage to sleeping Pokemon, I think between turns. And Darkrai MD puts the Defending Pokemon to sleep when it's dropped.

Naturally, Shiftry would reek HAVOC on sleeping Pokemon. I opted for the Burning route with Drapion lvX and Houndoom Prime, to maximize damage, but with Vileplume you don't really need to hurry and kill a Pokemon before a Trainer switches it out. All you need to worry about are Special Energies.

I'm playing Memory Berries, and I think they'll help you out when you're faced with Pokemon without Poke-Powers or -Bodies (which will inevitably happen once the opponent sees you can lock their powers up). Nuzleaf, after all, handles any Pokemon.

So I'd recommend sticking some Darkrai in there. With the Grass energies, a Parasect would also be viable if you're having trouble getting a Shiftry out, I'm musing over playing Parasect, but I don't think you'll want to take up space with Paras and Parasect.

And Memory Berries are a must to counter your opponent's rebuttal to your strategy.

Just this afternoon I was feeling so smug about being the only person who's making a Shiftry deck, but I guess you proved me wrong. Good luck with this deck, it'll really drive your opponent insane.

@dreyfus: U do know that ur unlucky wind does not affect ur opponent's sleep check flips right? As sleep check happens between turns, shiftry's unlucky wind does not affect it as its body states clearly "during ur opponent's turn".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back