Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

SoCal Regionals: 2 days?

I hope so... but I haven't heard so. Usually SoCal is a smaller event than Cali States, so we best have a 2 day States if we plan on having a 2 day Regionals. Never say never, but you know what happens when you assume.

Z-man, your observation that Cali States is bigger than SoCal Regional, and is therefore more needing the 2 day treatment is an interesting notion.

The folks in other Regions that will put on the 2 day Regionals felt they had to to manage the number of people attending the event. If any tournament was screaming for the 2 day treatment, it is indeed Cali States.

I know lots of the people who work Cali States, and I know they want to put on the very best tournament experience for the player base possible. I am certain that every one of them dies a little inside to hear complaints about (an allowed) swiss round cut from the tourney.

A 2 day Cali States would be wonderful, perhaps unique in Pokemon State Championships, but wonderful nonetheless.

Maybe, based on success or failure of a future 2 day Cali States, a 2 day SoCal Regional might follow.

It certainly would be an interesting experiment.

I'm assuming it is; we need it more than any other regional. Does anyone have info?

I don't think anyone NEEDS it; it's more of a luxury than anything, especially since your Regionals is smaller than your States, correct?

However, I think the PTO in charge of the event should seriously consider implementing what our PTO in Texas did: not do the entire top cut on day two, but instead have day two reserved for only the top EIGHT.

That way, you can have your marathon, and eat it too.

I feel, though, we deserve our full amount of rounds. Getting rounds minus 2 and top 16 is a huge slap in the face IMO. Our Regionals are smaller than our states, but they both need a 2nd day event. Having cut on the 2nd day would be fantastic. With our events, the entire cut usually starts somewhere around 8PM. Playing a round of cut would be fine, but it would be painful to have it go on for only a day. It is a luxury, but I don't believe that players deserve to remove rounds and then play far into the night. We do need to talk to Karl about this possibility (maybe for next year).

a 2 day regional makes more sense than a 2 day states because of the obvious increase in prizes involved. i still dont think rounds should be cut from states though, we definitely get the shorter end of the stick.

I think the move Texas is making for a 2 day event should make other high player volume locations follow suit to show they really care about the competitive player. There isn't any reason that the same effort can't be made by this location as well. I think what Mike Cook is doing really shows leadership by example.

From what I've heard, this year's CA States with a huge number overall, and 230 players in Masters, finished about midnight. There were eight Swiss rounds and a Top 16 cut. Things ran pretty darn smooth. Regionals can be run in one day.

I'm sure if the other venues with large attendance numbers have overwhelmingly positive feedback, then Karl would follow suit next year.

Kudos to all the PTOs with big volume turnout who facing final rounds past midnight chose to go to two days. I really am looking forward to the feedback.

I haven't played a regional in 2 years. I just got back into the game here recently at cities. With that said, how does the prize structure of 1st and second round bye work?
sounds silly..

I was talking to Karl about this being a possibility. After talking to him, I believe that a 2 day regional event would be a really bad idea under current circumstances. First off, most californians drive to regionals. When the event is over, they drive back. That means that they need to pay for a room if there is a question of playing a second day. More over, Karl gave me a number (which I forget). That number is how much he pays out of pocket for the space on the Queen Mary. As I recall, it was in the 3k range per night. He'd need to pay double that per event if we were to play on the Queen Mary. I'd have to say that we should all just suck it up and play a regional event that goes late into the night.

Vegeta, the winner of regionals starts nats with a 2-0 record and a 100% opponent's win record.

If cali states can finish in 1 day then i'm pretty sure its possible for any regional to finish in one day as well.

I mean, isn't cali states the 3rd biggest event of the year? (Behind nationals and world's, which are the only other multi-day events at this point?)

Oregon and Texas Regionals are usually up there. German Nationals as well. Not too sure about Canadia, but it could be.

this year's states was a huge improvement over previous years, so I think it really shouldn't be an issue. Even when I won socal regionals in like.. 08? it was finished a little after midnight, which I don't think is unreasonable for that large of an event.

Well my perspective from the Staff side at Cali states was that it was the smoothest one I've ever judged for in the past 5 years. I had many players and parents come up to me and say this years states was the most well run event ever. I think all of the staff were on the ball and a big thanks to all of the runners we had.

Really the only issue I can see is in the 3 turns the players think they can take their time which really slows the event down. As long as all of the judges keep on the players about game temo and pace we're good to go. There are some specific Cali players that I also saw in AZ and they're pace is ridiculous.

Back