Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Early Rotation announced: HGSS-on as of July 1st!

re: #2...not bringing in the B&W rules with the B&W cards was never an option for OP. look at the european nationals: if B&W cards were allowed they HAD to use B&W rules as well...

'mom

re: #2...not bringing in the B&W rules with the B&W cards was never an option for OP. look at the european nationals: if B&W cards were allowed they HAD to use B&W rules as well...

'mom

That doesn't mean it wasn't an option; it means they consciously decided not to allow B&W without the rules printed in the B&W rulebooks because it would be inconvenient and violate tradition. Admittedly, to reverse the changes in rules ex post facto would be awkward and troublesome, but not as much as requiring a rotation to repair a broken format...

@eriknance- the reason M:TG cards retain value is because there is an extensive variety of formats that are supported by the DCI(P!P equivalent). If we can convince P!P to support more than one format, then we wouldn't see all the hard earned $go down the tubes every rotation. Good luck with that though, it will probably never happen.

I am completely in favour of the rotation, but as far as I can tell, these are the arguments against it being a good thing . . .

1. Players will be losing valuable cards sooner than they expected. Some people have only just got their hands on Luxray and Uxie X etc.
Agreed, although they announced this a time ago. It was to be expected.

2. There were easier ways to fix the format - ban certain cards or not bring in the B&W rules
TPCi has a no card banning police, to keep up on par with the japanese format.

3. People who earned their Worlds invite playing MD-on decks should be able to play MD-on decks at Worlds
It would be unfair for the rest.

4. MD-on was not as bad as people make out - Sabledonk didn't dominate BRs, donks are part of the game etc
But it was dominated by SP decks, and only few decks could make against them thanks to the SP engine. If you decided to not play a SP deck, you either had to choose Machamp or Gyarados. And that's it, there's no more variety than that.

5. The relatively late notice hurts people who are not able to playtest much/get new cards before US/CDN Nats. They will probably end up just netdecking something with Emboar in it.
Agreed.

6. HGSS-BW will centralise around a few decks and will be dominated by a handful of archetypes, just like MD-on was
I disagree, I've seen around 20 archetypes just for this rotation.

7. The card pool is too small - less room for creativity, and lack of draw makes format slow and frustrating
The slow and frustrating format is what people are actually celebrating, and I insist, there's a huge room for creativity. Since the overpowered cards in the DPPt era are rotating out, this allows lots of decks to be playable.

8. There is no legal Glaceon in Modified any more
Opinions.

Nah, I'm not bothered about the Eeveelutions like some people are.

There's solid arguments against all of those points as far as I'm concerned. I just posted them all to make discussion easier.

The rotation was the best solution, and I'm enjoying HGSS-on.

There was one more deck type that could compete.

Lock.

Best shown by Tomb and Plume.

But it wasn't consistent enough to make a significant dent in the format, unfortunately.

if you were playing the MD-BW format, you basically had two choices.

Donk.

Or Lock.

And I can't really think of any of the top decks that wasn't one of these two general types.

This is a great decision! At first I didn't like it, but now I like it. This will make the contests fun and challenging for the players.

Bravo!!!!!!

See ya later LuxChomp, hehe.

Last edited:
HGSS-On pros/cons

I did like using old lock decks. Especially the blazi/tran burn lock.

I like the new fire & water donkers, with Emboar and Feraligatr. I like the idea tht it'll b sorta easier to create new deck strats. Besides the Legenddonk decks:biggrin:

I dislike the idea of taking out the good old crds(trainers/supporters) tht players loved 2 use. They were easier to find. The primes and legends are harder.

Since i have a miniscule amount of HGSS-On crds. I'll need 2 get more just 2 keep up. I believe some'll have similar situations. Tht's not very good.

After July 1st many players will only trade with and 4 HGSS-On crds. Past sets will be outmoded, to them. I really don't look 4wrd 2 tht.

I do like the idea of the SPs going away. No more 1 turn win decks.

I am looking 4wrd 2 the new combos replacing the old annoying ones.

I'm looking forward to the newer sets and artwort, i'm only wondering what "super" pokemon they'll bring out o.o
you know, lvl X, Prime, ex, ect....
and i wanna see the new guys!! Dx

I do like the idea of the SPs going away. No more 1 turn win decks.

You do know Zekrom is in the new format right? It turn one donks rather easily.

I'm quite new to the game, and have been trying to follow this conversation so as to gain some insight into the game and its history. I have what is probably a very basic question: what was the reason for bringing in the first-turn rule changes in Black and White? That is, what was wrong with keeping Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums out of first turn? Not to suggest that I think it's a bad change (I don't have near enough experience to form an opinion, honestly), I'm just curious as to why it was made.

And, while I'm asking newbie questions anyway: which (if any) of the POP Series are legal in the new format?

Not really. You HAVE to have the three energies in hand and a way to get Shaymin and Pachirisu. Kinda hard.

actually, its needed to have 2 lightning, a collector, and a Zekrom.
collector grabs pachi, shaymin, and unown Dark for that last energy.
or just 3 lightning in the fist hand, I find it unlikely o.o...
dual ball! \o/ get lucky :p

SP blah, hate, blah, blah.

No one ever says the G-dos is easy mode auto-pilot and does not deserve to win Nats, and now it won't! The "backward" compatibility this format change around is crazy compared to the past. I can count the cards I was made to ridiculous in one hand (DRE, Scamble) for last generation.

This time? Not even two hands is enough. And SPs does not even hold half of it.

@eriknance I think you had a big misperception...I do not care at all that players can or will win with cookie cutter decks. I brought it up as a counter to the "it's bad that bad players can win by donking!!!". Bad players are not going to win very many 8 round+top cut tournaments whether it is MD-on or HS-on; skill still wins out much more on average. This is just a game, and people can play whatever they want without reprisal in my opinion. Your job if you care about winning is to win out over them, whether rogue or not.

Mulligans have nothing to do with "my deck building". The incessant amount of evolutions have really made a mess of decks. I like how any "defense" of HS-on is met with 10 "thanks", but any point about the flaws of HS-on is met with disparagement about deck building or actual playing ability.

Sorry to not respond to your post "in full", but I do not really have any points left I could make anew. Everyone is just going to assert that donks are anti-competitive (more people being able to compete is more competitive), and that HS-on is a perfect wonderland.

@eriknance I think you had a big misperception...I do not care at all that players can or will win with cookie cutter decks. I brought it up as a counter to the "it's bad that bad players can win by donking!!!". Bad players are not going to win very many 8 round+top cut tournaments whether it is MD-on or HS-on; skill still wins out much more on average. This is just a game, and people can play whatever they want without reprisal in my opinion. Your job if you care about winning is to win out over them, whether rogue or not.

When a bad player donks, it's entirely different than when a bad player wins with a cookie cutter list. I already made the point -- donks offer a good player no chance to use their skill to win. Otherwise, good players can beat bad players with cookie cutter lists. You and I both seem to have no problem with cookie cutter lists. If I play MagneBoar and face a bad player playing MagneBoar, I will win more often. I'd like to say that for MD-on, but it's just not the case with the donk potential being so high. It gets a little easier in the top cut, but even then donks can knock a good player out.

Mulligans have nothing to do with "my deck building". The incessant amount of evolutions have really made a mess of decks. I like how any "defense" of HS-on is met with 10 "thanks", but any point about the flaws of HS-on is met with disparagement about deck building or actual playing ability.

What are you running that's giving you so many mulligans? The number of Basic Pokemon you run in a deck has everything to do with deck building.

Sorry to not respond to your post "in full", but I do not really have any points left I could make anew. Everyone is just going to assert that donks are anti-competitive (more people being able to compete is more competitive), and that HS-on is a perfect wonderland.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm with you on a couple of criticisms of HGSS-on, I just think that you're exaggerating a little on mulligans and "stalling out."

Replies in boldenteen...

Yay I don't have to cancle my flight and room! First time at Nats here I come!

This new format reminds me of 06 the good old days. I am happy to be playing a format that is much like my fav fun to build any old deck. There is no BDIF or complealty set Meta. I can play some SD and actualy do well I love it!

Back