Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Masters 1st place

Ugh, im trying to keep myself from coming back to this thread. But seriously? Of course he can leave out what he wants, that has absolutely nothing with what I'm trying to say....
Posted with Mobile style...

Ugh, im trying to keep myself from coming back to this thread. But seriously? Of course he can leave out what he wants, that has absolutely nothing with what I'm trying to say....

Dude this format is so flip based, who cares. The dice/coin flips fell the way they did. He played well, he did the best, ergo he deserved to win. What you said in your first post was stupid and uncalled for. Why would you not just congratulate him on his winning. The way it is worded makes you look ignorant because your "favorite" didn't win. On this day Justin was the one who played the best, and it was his moment. With what you said, it looked like you were trying to belittle his accomplishment. FLIPS ARE EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW GET OVER IT!

Haha, congratulations man! And as you said in my regional report, I'm surprised lol. You did great, good luck to you at Worlds! Go Florida.

While the parallel is not exact, this kind of reminds me of the difference between first and second place in many Olympic sports - 100 m sprint, bobsled, downhill skiing etc. where the difference between 1st and 2nd is often measured in 100ths of seconds. At that point, can 1st place really be attributed to something the athlete has done, or is it just the "luck" of some small intangible factor that cannot be seen or measured?

Of course, with Pokemon, you can clearly see the key flip or flips that made the difference.

On the point of the battle of the babies - both players made a choice to include those cards in their decks. It could have just as easily come down to who got the first heads on a reversal. I wasn't there, but I can imagine that the baby face off was full of tension and excitement. If players don't like things ending that way, perhaps the T4 should be best of 5 and the T2 be best of 7. That would certainly give more weight to the player's skill vs their luck on the day.

Last edited:
Way to go dude! I actually saw you coming into the pool Sunday night, me and a bunch of VGC friends were in the big pool lol. Hopefully our paths will cross in San Diego! We both have a 1st Place medal now :))

OH, you mean much better? well i never!

You seem to be implying that you are entitled to a detailed Nationals report from the winners and those who top cut. Do you actually believe that you're entitled to anything of the sort? Ommitance of details is not the same as lying, especially when the recollection of a 14+ round 20+ game tournament is being recalled in a short time after the event.

But you want some details? I know a minimum of 3 people who never won a flip to go first all day at nationals in a minimum of 5 rounds. Are you entitled to all of our sour grapes as well? Or are you just mad because this time, someone YOU personally respect had luck turn on them?

It takes a tremendous amount of luck to make T2 in nationals to begin with, especially in a format where the most important question you'll ask your opponent is "Heads or tails?". So how about we just pretend you never even TRIED to call him out.

Go humble yourself.

You seem to be implying that you are entitled to a detailed Nationals report from the winners and those who top cut. Do you actually believe that you're entitled to anything of the sort? Ommitance of details is not the same as lying, especially when the recollection of a 14+ round 20+ game tournament is being recalled in a short time after the event.

But you want some details? I know a minimum of 3 people who never won a flip to go first all day at nationals in a minimum of 5 rounds. Are you entitled to all of our sour grapes as well? Or are you just mad because this time, someone YOU personally respect had luck turn on them?

It takes a tremendous amount of luck to make T2 in nationals to begin with, especially in a format where the most important question you'll ask your opponent is "Heads or tails?". So how about we just pretend you never even TRIED to call him out.

Go humble yourself.

Look. Even I will admit that flips mean a lot in this format. However, the individuals (Justin and Kyle) who made top two should be given laurels instead of us debating on who donked who or who reversal'd who. I went 6 and 3 with 2 heads on 17 flips (reversal). So yes, flips mean a lot but lets stop blaming our failures on others' successes. Both top 2 players are great players and deserve their positions. If we know that flips matter than we ought to make more consistent decks. Hell, I played what I knew instead of playing what I wanted because I wanted to play something familiar. I made the right choice, top cut or not. Afterwards I made a lot of changes to the deck. And yeah, I know I could have made top cut if I just made some heads. However, we should not be surprised by bad luck and instead should have insulated ourselves from the tails. By the way, congrats to Kyle, who is our own (kenosha town) home hero!

Whoops, thought I posted here already... Just wanted to say congratulations again! You earned the win, and good luck at Worlds! See you next week. :smile:

Cool story bro :thumb:

Congrats dude! Loved watching you play in the finals. good luck at worlds.

Back