Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Non-Professor wins Professor Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My view on this whole situation is that it sucks. Why?

1. Pokémon has been, and will be, a fun and fair event. As those of us who work hundreds of hours a year, our goal is to always maintain a fun and fair event. If those two components are not at an event, then the objective of the game in terms of the experience is not met. (fast should be there too :thumb:)
2. I am appalled by how much support this individual and his accomplices have received on this forum (as well as other forums). I know a lot of you and sadly, some of you are chiming up in their defense. Do yourselves a favor, think before you submit.
3. It is a big deal for those who put their personal time into this game for the sake of the kids. We bust butt all year and then a person does something completely stupid like faking his way into the prof cup and then winning and then bragging and then back pedaling. This stupid action has brought out a lot of the worst in you folks.
4. Playing in the Prof Cup is a privilege that is earned. It is a reward to those of us who work to grow the game. This is an insult to our efforts and our intelligence. And yes, I haven't played in the Prof Cup for two years. I have been "on the Pokémon clock" and that is my first priority.
5. The employees at POP are the hardest working folks I know. They care for this game very much and this act, and folks subsequent defense of that, cannot be something that is sitting well with them.
6. Blaming POP or the staffers for this? You folks should be ashamed.
7. Earlier on in this thread, a very intelligent person posted about the ethical guidelines of those expected to attend Kent State. She is spot on. Should Kent State know about? Prob. If the kid had any intestinal fortitude, he'd tell them up front and then live with the consequences.​

In the end, all the support, banter, word smithing that folks are doing is for naught. The kid broke the rules and will pay - prob more than anyone here will ever know unless of course, he's bright enough to publish the subsequent ramifications from TPCi.

One last note, to a friend. Box-o-Fail. You are a very intelligent person who is right in just about everything you say on this topic. Being right is one thing. Knowing when not to say something shows wisdom.

I don't know the kid even though he will be going to school 30 min from where I live in Ohio, so I may see him around if the ban-hammer doesn't hit him too hard.

Biggest problem I see is he lied to the staff to participate in an exclusive event, and then tried to/succeeded in selling some of his winnings that he should not have been able to win. I'm glad to see that it looks like he's willing to (have his friend?) remove the ebay listings, receive his punishment and return the prizes; all of which I hope happen.

The 6p article was a slap in the face. Not needed. In all honesty, it's NOT that difficult to be eligible to participate, especially because he is apparently a league leader somewhere and has been for 8 months! If he would have taken the Prof. Test back then, none of this would be an issue. Using lies to enter the event was a horrible idea. Hopefully he and his friends will learn a lesson from this, mature, and come back in the future with a better outlook.

Like Cameraman said, we've all done shady things at some point in our lives, but holding up a sign saying "I unethically jumped ahead in line!" after cutting in line and waving it at everyone behind them at the movie theatre line, dude's just asking to be punished.

Something I DO want to mention here myself, though I'm not entirely defending the kid when I say this, and I honestly do think Dan should take a look at this when letting people in.

I let myself go a long period of time without taking my professor test due to being extremely busy this past year. I'm in my junior year at college and I've been extremely busy with school work and stuff to just sit down and take the professor test again, however this has not stopped me from the hard work I put into at my league every Thursday night.

Now, I'm more of a player than a judge, however I do my fair share of work for this fine state and I've judged my own fair share of events (About 2-3 battle roads, a cities, and quite a few prereleases) this past season. I know I'm trusted as a judge due to being one in the state for a long period of time, and I'm usually allowed to judge based off that. Once in a while, the break from playing is nice and having a chance to give back to the game myself is also something I find necessary.

I go to register for the professor cup, and I was told myself that I didn't have the points necessary to compete. I know this is untrue because I've been running the same league for almost 4 years now, and I definitely have enough time necessary to compete. I told them to do a history search, the same way this kid did, and they let me pass.

To be honest. The leniency here likely was being too much. I know theres stress with registration, but all you have to do is go into the computer system and see what I've judged the past year and how many seasons of league I run. I dont know if I didn't have the necessary points because I haven't been a professor for such a long period of time, but they could have just said no outright and I would have been alright with that too.

Now, I'm not saying this kid should go off easy. Its apparent he was under the proper age, and he continued to play despite the risks given. I'm going back to a 21 reference here once again. When you get too caught into winning, you just keep going and going, despite the risks at stake. Cloud 9 is a very dangerous place to be in. I had a few friends in Top 8 in professor cup who could have had different pairings, different matchups, and could have gone farther, but did not because someone decided they wanted to cheat the system. My girlfriend missed cut by a few narrow places because someone decided they wanted to cheat the system. Sorry, but I don't believe in cheating the system as that is not only unethical, but its also against the professor code of conduct which is something that should be practiced when being a professor. Even the thought of it boils my blood.

Those of you saying he's to be applauded for this effort? You should all be ashamed of yourselves. You're practically saying that someone who owns his own league, is trusted to report his own players and is trusted to not take his supplies and sell them on Ebay, should go off free and do what he wants because he's got guts and cheated a system? I'm a league leader in the same state as the accused, and I highly doubt my PTO's are going to let something like this continue, even if his punishment is light. Basically you guys are saying we as professors should be more like him and do things that aren't correct. Thats.. just wrong, especially since the judging team is widely respected to make sure that games are played as correctly as possible and with as few rulings issues that is needed. Some of you need to learn some humility, and maybe try judging yourself, and then realize its not all cute and cuddly teddy bears and flowers.

Now, I'm not going to shoot this kid in the foot any more than I need to be. Its obvious he's already been fed to the wolves, and my berating him isn't going to do anything more than salting the wound. All that needs to be said is for the prizes to be returned, and this kid and perhaps even his accomplices (I'm sorry JP, I cannot say that I respect the suggestion you made despite how much you give to this game), should be taking a break from the game. The player in question should never be allowed to be a professor, and sadly, the professors in question should not be judging in this state for a couple of years.

Before I hear the: "NO KEEP YOUR PRIZE YOU EARNED IT" argument again, I would like to ask.. how did he earn this other than winning the entire event? He could have took his karma for winning a few games, then quit before he got in too deep. Then this would not have happened, then this would not be a crap fest on the gym, we would all go on with our lives other than attacking this kid. I wouldn't have even been so irritated myself if he didn't blatantly link his winnings on E-bay in his report, which tells me he actually cared about it.

TL;DR: Punish the kid and those involved (maybe not ridiculously harshly, but harshly enough), prevent this from happening in the future.

I'm definitely mad that someone would steep so low to do this but the fact that he admitted it shows that he knew what he did was wrong. The only way I can forgive him for what he did and if he really wants to prove that he is sorry is he NEEDS TO SHIP EVERYTHING HE WON BACK or pay to compensate for what he may have already sold.

Hey guys!

It's AAGOTFIRST from 6Prizes

I'm here to defend AA, give me your false and empty moral arguments.

This kid won first, deserves all of the first place prizes, as well as recognition form the community as the first place winner.

All of the professors are just using this as an excuse because they didn't win and want an easy way to get prizes they don't deserve.

Its a darn good thing our mod staff can see who are trolls based off a little IP checker thing they likely have.

HI TROLL I LOVE YOU

Hey guys!

It's AAGOTFIRST from 6Prizes

I'm here to defend AA, give me your false and empty moral arguments.

This kid won first, deserves all of the first place prizes, as well as recognition form the community as the first place winner.

All of the professors are just using this as an excuse because they didn't win and want an easy way to get prizes they don't deserve.

OBVIOUS TROLL IS OBVIOUS

I hope you used a proxy

I suggest some people read some of the posts on 6Prizes in the comments senction.

This guy's attitude is a lot less apologetic and more "I won I'm the better player"

Seriously go to the link in post 1, and scroll down and read some of "AydanAires"'s posts. Some of them are pretty damn arrogant.

In response to The Light - they should delete (at the very least) your post for the intentional and unnecessary attempt to inflame this situation. I am a Professor who did not play (was on staff), so had no chance to win prizes. So what's my excuse for thinking this kid should receive a lifetime ban (as well as his friends that knew and didn't stop or report him). Before you go off on another rant that was a rhetorical question.

While it's ok to support (notice I didn't say defend) your friend (I actually think his friends should support him during this difficult time) you should stop trying to divert attention from him. He deserves all the attention he is getting. After all he asked for it by posting his "Tournament Report". Regardless of what you or anyone else says, this report was nothing more than "I'm leaving the game so I don't care if you ban me for 4 years, here's what I did and aren't I soooo cool". Actions speak louder than words and his actions were to rub this in the whole communitys face. He can say what he wants, he can backpedal all he wants, but actions speak louder than words. I honestly think that he didn't (maybe to naive to think there were people who believe in SoTG) expect the backlash that he's getting. I'm sure he's saying/feeling what my 10 year old says/feels when he gets caught/punished for something; "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, and I won't do it again".

I hope he doesn't get a chance to do it again.

I do not want a life time ban. So don't say I don't care about getting one.

Well you made it clear you don't care about the next 4 years so they'll probably have to do something that doesn't involve the next 4 years.

PS thought you were taking the trophy down, what happened there?

The guy's words are all 100% empty - he's not apologizing, it's satire. He's making a joke of it all. Folks think he's being sincere and honest, but he's laughing at the people who are getting angry, and laughing at the folks who are kind enough to not get angry at him.

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this based on the actions and events that have taken place.

I do not want a life time ban. So don't say I don't care about getting one.

If that is really you, I hope you really mean that. Pokemon is more than just a game. It is more than a lifestyle. It brings kids together in ways that teach them how to help each other, even when competing against each other. It teaches fair play. It teaches how to win honorably and how to loose honorably. It teaches kids with ADD how to keep focused. It teaches kids that have social issues how to interact. It teaches fair play in competition. It does this largely through trust. Trust in fair trades and advice offered to you by your competition. Leading by example is what those of us who became Pokemon Professors and take judging assignments (and use each ruling to better explain the game) are all about. We keep it fair. Your biggest offence was breaking the trust in the game and between yourself and the players.

If you want to make it right, you need to do what we do when we have a problem in gameplay. First we see what damage has been done, see if we can unwind it, and then live within the published rules. It the game is important to you, ask yourself what have you done to unwind it. When you are satisfied that you have done all that you can do to unwind the damage, you will be on the right track.

If you always try to do what you know is right, you will never have to wonder if you will get in trouble for doing wrong.

The guy's words are all 100% empty - he's not apologizing, it's satire. He's making a joke of it all. Folks think he's being sincere and honest, but he's laughing at the people who are getting angry, and laughing at the folks who are kind enough to not get angry at him.

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this based on the actions and events that have taken place.

Then I'll be the one laughing when he's removed from this game. He's already likely getting punished through one of Ohio's PTO's anyways.

Though I could have told you his words were empty based off his lack of attempt to remove his product. Good choice for Kent State, at that.

I really feel bad for whoever is bidding $255 in that trophy, and I hope they are at least trying to get it to give it to its rightful owner, even though that won't happen

Just curious, but lets say he gets a lifetime ban, what's to stop him from getting another P!P ID number under a different name? I've never seen anyone check some sort of official ID to make sure the person matches what the P!P ID says.

I think a PTO/TO from the region he lives in could definitely tell who he is. Doing that WOULD be legitimate fraud and likely subject to bigger and more harsher penalties.

And why would you do that already being subject to one level of fraud? Its like you're asking to be known as the biggest jerk on the face of the earth.

I suggest some people read some of the posts on 6Prizes in the comments senction.

This guy's attitude is a lot less apologetic and more "I won I'm the better player"

Seriously go to the link in post 1, and scroll down and read some of "AydanAires"'s posts. Some of them are pretty damn arrogant.

i think his comments are rather sarcastic than arrogant. However i am more upset about other comments like "LOL!!! I might try and do that next year. It's obvious they don't check any backgrounds or anything to see who's registered. LOL ". This guy encourages other people to do the same and i am sure some people will try that...

However i am curious about the opinions of his league, the shop owner and anyone who knows him well.

i think his comments are rather sarcastic than arrogant. However i am more upset about other comments like "LOL!!! I might try and do that next year. It's obvious they don't check any backgrounds or anything to see who's registered. LOL ". This guy encourages other people to do the same and i am sure some people will try that...

However i am curious about the opinions of his league, the shop owner and anyone who knows him well.

Some of the posts on 6P directed at second place winner Cecily Cunningham were just digusting. She's getting flamed, trolled, and bashed really badly. Those posts make me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back