Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Non-Professor wins Professor Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
professor cup

it will be very hard to make a good decission here on this situation. key factors to look at are:

1. he did tell them up front he wasnt sure about being able to play in the cup.
2. he did lie about not knowing if he was able to play.
3. there seems to have been a few other players that are not professors alowed to play in the cup.
4. the person checking him in missed the fact that he wasnt able to play.
5. did he work all year as a LL all year at his league

my opinion is he should be punished but i beleive that some others should be punished as well. not to the same extent as the one who played the game. there should be a different level of punishment for all involved.

the fact is a lot of people are effected by this and everyone has a opinion. the people that have to make the call on this have a huge opertunity here to inforce the spirit of the game. just remember next time you judge a turny or provide some kind of help or service at a sanctioned event remember to check and doupble check everything. if your a player and you know something or someone is doing wrong report it.
it will always come back to you eventually.

For those too lazy to click link.

Posted on the Beach by Rush17 AKA Aydan Aires said:
How much would this trophy be worth? :)

So, I won the Proffessor cup for the 2011 Nationals and got this fine 1 foot metal trophy that's the only one of it's kind.

I was wondering how much collectors would pay for a product like that? It's unique. And they were offering to buy the prize backpack for $120

Thanks so much!

(I need the money to go to worlds sadly

^ The problem at hand is he's not at the legal age to be a professor. I am a professor with the legitimate amount of points due to what I've done all season (at the time, 6 seasons worth of league, 3 premier events, and 2 pre-releases.) and they said I didn't have the points which I find to be strange.

He was definitely not allowed due to age. League Leadership doesn't mean a thing if you don't pass the test/adhere to the code of conduct.

I wonder if his total Prizes exceeded $600 in value? I doubt much can be done to this guy personally.... But if he's sent a 1099 and forced to pay taxes on the prizes he won, then maybe a little justice might get served....

Sad story here.... Karma will get 'em.... just wait...

Yep, the cup is still up and getting bids. Here's the problem with cheaters and liars......they continue to do so.

I think it's very clear that not only is he keeping the prizes, but any posts saying he's giving them back are lies posted to get some of the hate off his back.

I really feel bad for whoever is bidding $255 in that trophy, and I hope they are at least trying to get it to give it to its rightful owner, even though that won't happen

Ive sifted through 15 pages of this post and I dont think I have seen anyone else think of this idea. Can the lady (What is her name?) that came in 2nd be crowned the 2011 Prof Cup Champion? Similar to how the runner-up in the Ms America pageant gets the crown if it is taken away from the winner for violating their rules. This kid clearly violated the rules so why cant 2nd place finisher be crowned Prof Cup Champ? Making another trophy would be cool too, but if the trophy stays on ebay, Im winning it and donating it to this lady that came in 2nd place.

Ha! I love the idea of winning the auction and giving it to the girl.

All in all, we really don't have all the facts, do we? We don't know what is all truth and what isn't.

For all of you haters...have some grace. We all do stupid stuff and we all need a little grace.

What we do know is that there should definitely be more attention paid to who is allowed to play in the tournament.

It is an amusing story and definitely illustrates what I love about Pokemon: anyone can win any game.

Yes. Every year. That's one of the reasons why the Cup has never been a sanctioned tournament. We view our participation as part of the "thank you" that this tournament is. After all, how often do folks get to sit down and share a game with the folks in charge?

And I wouldn't want it ANY OTHER WAY! :thumb:

For those who think a lifetime ban is too harsh, consider this;
Not only did he know what he was doing was cheating, but he knew that by making it public he would get attention. The attention I'm sure has given great free advertising to the only group of people who are interested in the cup.
His playing in the tournament changed the outcome of every player that entered. Again, since he knew what he was doing was wrong, this is his responsiblity.
Every time I've seen a cheater or a gamer get caught, they get a small slap on the wrist. Then they continue their behavior and laught at tpci. Judging from the smuggnes of his article, he will.
I doubt anyone would ever do this again if it means a lifetime ban. We would lose one cheater and gain respect for the rules by the rest of the players.

I think it's very clear that not only is he keeping the prizes, but any posts saying he's giving them back are lies posted to get some of the hate off his back.

Speaking as one of the affected people (I was his Top 8 opponent), I'm personally giving him a little leeway on this front. In this post he says he will take down the auction but it might take a little time and effort since the listing already has bids. (Perhaps someone with more eBay experience can clarify the technicalities.)

I'm all for further discussion, but let's not accuse him of further falsehoods a mere 14 hours later.

Ive sifted through 15 pages of this post and I dont think I have seen anyone else think of this idea. Can the lady (What is her name?) that came in 2nd be crowned the 2011 Prof Cup Champion? Similar to how the runner-up in the Ms America pageant gets the crown if it is taken away from the winner for violating their rules. This kid clearly violated the rules so why cant 2nd place finisher be crowned Prof Cup Champ? Making another trophy would be cool too, but if the trophy stays on ebay, Im winning it and donating it to this lady that came in 2nd place.

An admirable notion, but I honestly do not think this guy deserves any money he did not earn.

For all of you haters...have some grace. We all do stupid stuff and we all need a little grace.

I'm not going to place the scarlet letter on the kid, but this is still something that deserves quite a nasty little punishment, and if his honesty on here is not truthful from whats been said in the last couple of posts, then I don't think any "grace" is necessary. He's trolling the people on here and enjoying every minute of it. Karma suffers noone, Fair warning.

As much as it sucks she shouldn't be crowned champion of the Professor Cup. In a pageant you get a score based only on what you've done. it doesn't matter what every other competitor did, everything is based off of your actions: your walk, your clothes, your answers to questions, etc. Whoever has the highest point total is crowned the winner. If the first place winner is deemed ineligible the second place winner can get bumped up to first since the person who was in first had no bearing on how the second place person scored. If the first place person wasn't there the person in second would still get the same number of points.

In a tournament head to head structure your opponents actions determine whether you win or not. If you remove AA from the tournament that doesn't mean that the woman in 2nd would have won the finals match. For all we know she would have lost in top 4 due to pairing. If AA wasn't in the tournament at all maybe she loses multiple times during swiss. There's no telling what could have happened. Technically everyone in the tournament could have a claim to winning first place. If he doesn't beat the person in round 1 they have a different round 2 pairing and might have made top cut then and could have won.

The best thing to do would be to remove his champion status and hope that he returns the stuff and have no winner of the event.

Speaking as one of the affected people (I was his Top 8 opponent), I'm personally giving him a little leeway on this front. In this post he says he will take down the auction but it might take a little time and effort since the listing already has bids. (Perhaps someone with more eBay experience can clarify the technicalities.)

I'm all for further discussion, but let's not accuse him of further falsehoods a mere 14 hours later.

It takes less than 5 minutes, you just cancel the bids then cancel the auction.

PokePop and M_Liesik: I haven't seen anyone else offer this up so I thought I would add my 2 cents. I personally enjoyed playing with and beside the black shirts at the PC. It is the only chance to do so. The conversations were great and as always I learned a lot. I totally enjoyed this "thank you" and I look forward to playing next year if my PTO sees fit to invite me to judge for him. I think you should continue to allow them to play in the PC - it is part of what makes it the wonderful event that it is. Just sayin'.

6 easy steps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4406227_cancel-ebay-auction-selling-item.html

It's as easy as cancel bids, and has instant results.

Liar lies, no suprise.

This was posted by me on the 6p forums last night, but I feel it belongs here too.

Feh, of course, the ONE day I take off from my haunt, this huge blowup happens. Having read the entire thread on the 'gym, AND the almost 300 posts on the FP article, here's my summarized thoughts on what should take place:

~The second place finisher should be given the trophy. I don't care if he "beat" her or not, it's the only just way to rectify the situation

~Mr. Aydan Aires should be left to his own punishments. TCPI has confirmed that they are dealing with the situation, it's not our place to stone him, even more so now that he's stated he will return the prizes

~ I am a firm believer in HEALTHY discussion. That said, flaming like we've been seeing on the front page is not bueno.

~The FP article should have the ebay link removed

~The FP article should have comments locked, and receive a redirect to this thread on the forums. That allows us to moderate the flaming, and control the influx of users.

~There should be a letter of apology to both TPCI and to Miss Cecily Cunningham sitting on the front page by tomorrow morning.

That said, as a moderator on 6P, I apologize (even though I had no control over it) for this reflecting so negatively on this site, we really are better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back