Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Non-Professor wins Professor Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as he mentioned Kent State in his article, I think it would be reasonable for them to be made aware of the situation too. The university I attend hands out harsh repercussions to students who have broken the law, from underage drinking to copyright violations, separate from any police investigation. Conversely, the university also responds to academic dishonesty by both its own programs and simultaneous police involvement. Even if this whole thing isn't approached from a criminal path I would think that Kent State would like to know if one of their students, current or incoming, expresses such dishonest behavior, as it could carry into his academic career.

Every club and organization I've been a part of, including Pokemon, has said somewhere in its guidelines that while in a position that represents the organization each member should be on their best behavior. The actions of an individual identified as part of a group reflect the image of the group as a whole. If someone in a Pokemon Professor lab coat goes and robs a store, people won't be saying "Did you hear about the guy in the Pokemon Professor coat who robbed the store?" It'll be "Did you hear about the Pokemon Professor who robbed the store?" All professors would be looked down upon because the actions of one person.

Likewise with Ayden. By mentioning where he will be attending school, he has established himself as a representative. Personally, I had never heard of Kent State until reading this thread, and will now remember it as "the school where the guy who snuck into the Professor Cup said he was attending." Nice PR move there :rolleyes:

i completely expect that should there be a professor cup next year, that changes WILL be made...

I expect there to be such an event next year, because the folks in charge are skilled at dealing with the cause of problems and the event is not the cause.

Say someone who is 15 walks into States (I'll say States because States and PRof Cup have sim sizes iirc), and enters in Seniors. If he wins, he makes off with $300 to go to Nationals (probably similar to the backpack + trophy) and some packs.

I, personally, would be a little mad, but I wouldn't mind too much.

Idk why this is a huge issue, but w/e.

Perhaps, in your scenario, we should let the parents of the Seniors explain to you why this is a huge issue. LOL

To me, it's not quite like that.

Ryan makes the point that the events importance is better judged by its scope rather than quantity & I agree.

If this is approached from a criminal standpoint, I think it'd be hilarious but pathetic to have to admit to an employer about your particular crime. How does an employer view this? This goes into a Pokemon stereotype, I know, but it's a worthwhile question to ask. There's so many directions that an employer or potential employer could view this from just because of what it is, how it happened, and how it occurred.

Why exactly should this be unlocked? it's been 13 pages of banter, threats, name calling, and repition. (how many times as mom sarcastically agreed "Oh yes it's defenatly the staffs fault, blame them" to how many different people?)

out of the 270 posts maybe a dozen of them have made some sort of origional point relevent to the situation.
Perhaps a post devoted to consequences would be wise then. Even though it may be off topic to a point, it certainly is relevent.

In your opinion. I do agree that there are many posts that probably shouldnt be there. Heck, my posts are probably ones that some people think are just babble, or me trying to stone this guy. But I do think that this thread needs to stay open for several reasons.
1) I think that everyone that feels cheated by this action deserves to be able to come here and voice their opinion, prvoviding its done within the rules of the site.

2) I think keeping this open will allow as many people to view it and be made aware of the actions of one player that could potentially alter future events. It gives everyone a chance to keep up with whtat is going on.

3) P!P can use this thread/site to convey information about any restitution, actions being taken, or whatever.

4) This young man needs to learn from this as well as be made an example of. WHat better way to accomplish these things by having a public forum to discuss it.
From what I see, without true repentance, nothing can be learned. Also, P!P will never give out information regarding the final outcome of this. No more than you would want to give out info regarding a disqualification at your events. It really is no one else's business to know how a person is punished, unless they personally decide to make it someone else's business.

Do any of you speed? .......

If anyone out these has never done anything wrong, then you are the only ones justified to say anything.

Did any or have any PP/POP employees ever played in a Professor Cup?

Can they be professors, possibly, but can they earn points? I'm not sure, but I think its against PPs terms of employment, they can't even join a league if I understood Mike L correctly.

Win or loose, they affect the outcome.

Had PP not cut a round from the P Cup, then he may not have won, had he not played, then the entire outcome of the event would be different, some of those in TOP cut might have been different. I'm not sure the P Cup is even a sanctioned tournament.

You can't change what has happened, you can only look forward, make the best of it, learn what has happened, and try to make it better in the future.

Should PP Employees loose their job for playing? I don't think so, they really should be considered honorary Professors! Should he be banned for life, I don't think so, but its not up to me, or you.

I think the post should be closed and deleted, PP should deal with it as they deem necessary, and we should all stay out of it.
Mike, as a person who has done a few things wrong in his life, I'm afraid I don't agree that I shouldn't have anything to say, and stay out of it. I'm not sure you realize this, but victim impact statements can be a very powerful force to get justice, if justice can be found. You are right however that we can't influence the outcome of the event at this point, nor would it be wise to think a "do over" would be practical. The event happened. The fraud happened. The matches played out as they did due to circumstances that could never be reproduced, and AA won the event that he should not have been able to enter. That does not mean that circumstances don't warrant some discussion, or eventually some justice. However we all need to realize that our own views on justice are skewed. We have to be careful and so will TPCi.

I do not want a life time ban. So don't say I don't care about getting one.
What you want is irrelevant. However you may want to consider past examples which might help you make some timely decisions. Read on.

People are taking this way too seriously.
You have absolutely no idea how much of an understatement that is. Read on.

If that is really you, I hope you really mean that. Pokemon is more than just a game. It is more than a lifestyle. It brings kids together in ways that teach them how to help each other, even when competing against each other. It teaches fair play. It teaches how to win honorably and how to loose honorably. It teaches kids with ADD how to keep focused. It teaches kids that have social issues how to interact. It teaches fair play in competition. It does this largely through trust. Trust in fair trades and advice offered to you by your competition. Leading by example is what those of us who became Pokemon Professors and take judging assignments (and use each ruling to better explain the game) are all about. We keep it fair. Your biggest offence was breaking the trust in the game and between yourself and the players.

If you want to make it right, you need to do what we do when we have a problem in gameplay. First we see what damage has been done, see if we can unwind it, and then live within the published rules. It the game is important to you, ask yourself what have you done to unwind it. When you are satisfied that you have done all that you can do to unwind the damage, you will be on the right track.

If you always try to do what you know is right, you will never have to wonder if you will get in trouble for doing wrong.
As much as I love this post, I have to disagree with one thing. Rewinding is not enough. This will not just go away once rewinding is done. Turning around from this type of action and expressing heartfelt regret is a start, but only time and good future works will erase the effects of such ignominy. Then expect that in the most unusual moments it will be brought to light again in the future. Just a heads up AA.

...... This guy encourages other people to do the same and i am sure some people will try that...

However i am curious about the opinions of his league, the shop owner and anyone who knows him well.
That is unfortunate, and it is even more unfortunate for those who look up to him in his league.

..... but if the trophy stays on ebay, Im winning it and donating it to this lady that came in 2nd place.
I see that after I planned on replying to this post that it was covered by both another poster (about the wisdom of giving money to someone who doesn't really deserve it), and a plea by TPCi that it would be inappropriate to continue to bid. I'm sure I couldn't have said it any better.

Jeez, getting people to understand things online sure is tough :/
Another post that makes me think you are less sincere than you should be, and definitely is an understatement.

Imagine if you were the guy who lost to Ayden in top 4. You spend a ton of time each week helping out the game only to lose to an ineligible player in top 4. You think that you could have beaten a dark deck if you only had the chance to play in the finals. Does he also get a claim to the first place trophy?
A good point, which shows his actions affected a wide variety of people, but cannot be totally rewound. Justice should therefore be decisive, but fair and empathetic to all.

.....personally, I would much rather play someone who has lied to enter a competition then someone who stacked their decks, used trick dice, double attached. I know it's all spirit of the game. But he "cheated" to enter, not while playing.
Personally I'd rather play neither. Is there such a thing as a "better, more moral lie?"

Totally agree with you, was EPICLY unfair to the professors... That's what I am talking about here, that he played in a fair, level playing feild.

He just shouldn't have been playing in that field :p
So that makes his win any better? I think not, and many professors here feel the same way.

Now for the meat of my post: Think back a bit guys. There was a professor and league leader who jokingly jested that we should go out in the street at a pokemon event to recruit players to add to the top cut of an event. Everyone here knew .... absolutely knew that the persons discussing this were joking, and would never ever consider the suggestion seriously. Both persons were stripped of their professorship, and lost all possibility of league privileges forever. They stopped short of banning them from playing. Even with people emailing TPCi on their behalf did nothing. Eventually one did repent and vowed not to discuss any possibility of skewing the results of a future event and finally was given some of his privileges back. Believe me on this one guys. TPCi takes great care to make sure everyone knows they take the integrity of their events very seriously. And even a possibility of improprietry on the part of winners is taken seriously as well (as has been shown by an incident regarding a foolish hand gesture). Don't be fooled. There will be consequences, both for TPCi and players. However in the end, we will all benefit by it. AA, I hope you learn from this, and eventually find some inner peace. Good luck to you.

Ive sifted through 15 pages of this post and I dont think I have seen anyone else think of this idea. Can the lady (What is her name?) that came in 2nd be crowned the 2011 Prof Cup Champion? Similar to how the runner-up in the Ms America pageant gets the crown if it is taken away from the winner for violating their rules. This kid clearly violated the rules so why cant 2nd place finisher be crowned Prof Cup Champ? Making another trophy would be cool too, but if the trophy stays on ebay, Im winning it and donating it to this lady that came in 2nd place.

Wow much more noble than me I was going to say win it and refuse to pay for it saying you found out that the listing was fraudulent and leave him paying the ebay fees.

One more thing guys, that example I mentioned should also make people realize that you really can get into trouble by posting an opinion on a forum. Hey, if you never say anything wrong online, then you never will find a problem with anyone. However if it's otherwise, be man enough to take the consequences for your posts. That's a lesson that AA must now be learning in spades.

Ive sifted through 15 pages of this post and I dont think I have seen anyone else think of this idea. Can the lady (What is her name?) that came in 2nd be crowned the 2011 Prof Cup Champion? Similar to how the runner-up in the Ms America pageant gets the crown if it is taken away from the winner for violating their rules. This kid clearly violated the rules so why cant 2nd place finisher be crowned Prof Cup Champ? Making another trophy would be cool too, but if the trophy stays on ebay, Im winning it and donating it to this lady that came in 2nd place.

John, if I were you: I would not give this punk a dime. You are better off making your own trophy for less--and much better looking.

When he says he will return the stuff...

Does that mean just the trophy?

Or does that mean the trophy, and the RRP of the kindle, and however many packs?

And however much for the backpack? Given that it's mainly collectors value...

Actually, he is the only one that should be blamed. the Judges simply trusted someone.. Nothing wrong with that. The idiot knew that he couldn't play, but he lied to the judges. So, he is a liar and a cheater, and a fraud.

---------- Post added 08/03/2011 at 08:52 PM ----------

What would that show? It would show that you can do whatever the hell you want in tournaments and not get in trouble as long as you return what you won.

Glad that you can call him names sir. I mean I know he did something dumb, but that is no reason to call him something based on one action he did. How would you like it if you went out got drunk and got a DWI? Would you want people to judge you based on one decision you made?

Also how is the judging staff not at fault for this somewhat? I mean they should have checked. Unfortunately we live in a day and age where you can't always trust someone on their word. I wish we could, but even in something like this you have to do things by the book. It is their fault as well, you cannot put it all on him.

Like I said, what he did was not a smart decision, but the community as well as P!P will learn from this and move forward to make the game better for everyone!

Likewise with Ayden. By mentioning where he will be attending school, he has established himself as a representative. Personally, I had never heard of Kent State until reading this thread, and will now remember it as "the school where the guy who snuck into the Professor Cup said he was attending." Nice PR move there :rolleyes:

Well it's good to know we're not only known as the school that gets shot at by the National Guard and having massive riots now.

I'm so glad I go to a classy university such as Kent State. :rolleyes:

I wonder if anyone will actually report him though...

Seeing as he mentioned Kent State in his article, I think it would be reasonable for them to be made aware of the situation too. The university I attend hands out harsh repercussions to students who have broken the law, from underage drinking to copyright violations, separate from any police investigation. Conversely, the university also responds to academic dishonesty by both its own programs and simultaneous police involvement. Even if this whole thing isn't approached from a criminal path I would think that Kent State would like to know if one of their students, current or incoming, expresses such dishonest behavior, as it could carry into his academic career.

Every club and organization I've been a part of, including Pokemon, has said somewhere in its guidelines that while in a position that represents the organization each member should be on their best behavior. The actions of an individual identified as part of a group reflect the image of the group as a whole. If someone in a Pokemon Professor lab coat goes and robs a store, people won't be saying "Did you hear about the guy in the Pokemon Professor coat who robbed the store?" It'll be "Did you hear about the Pokemon Professor who robbed the store?" All professors would be looked down upon because the actions of one person.

Kent State has quite a bit of negative PR there already, if you've studied american history at all...

I'm posting this here so that people get their fair warning.

Adam C. has removed the article from the front page listing, as some of you might have noticed, but I'm now going to be giving out bans, warnings, and other infractions to members that decided playing troll on the article was fun. Everyone involved has 24 hours to redact (edit and/or remove) any statements they left that they feel are offensive. (If your argument was unpopular but sound and valid, PLEASE leave it, i'm only speaking to the hard-core trolls, you guys know who you are)

Furthermore, the article is now once again open to comments with approval, and should the community prove itself to have gotten better, I will remove the moderation requirement for new posts.

This is a grace period. The infractions will start at 12:01AM Friday the 5th, Pacific Time

You trolls should be ashamed, and i'll see to it that you don't just "get away with it"

To the mods here at the gym: I'm glad that you kept this thread somewhat troll-free. If you'd like a list of the IP addresses of the people flaming, please contact me, but if not, I understand, as technically 6P is not your site.

~Zack "Yanmega Guy" Ayello
~6P Forums Mod and FP Mod

Glad that you can call him names sir. I mean I know he did something dumb, but that is no reason to call him something based on one action he did. How would you like it if you went out got drunk and got a DWI? Would you want people to judge you based on one decision you made?

In this case actions speak louder than words, and it's not just one action. Sold the packs, effectively sold the other items, clearly had every intention of selling the trophy until he got thoroughly lambasted over his laugh-in-our-faces article.

His intent was clear -- the apparent remorse only emerged when he realized that almost none of us find this amusing in the slightest. It's not hard to read people like this.

Also how is the judging staff not at fault for this somewhat? I mean they should have checked. Unfortunately we live in a day and age where you can't always trust someone on their word. I wish we could, but even in something like this you have to do things by the book. It is their fault as well, you cannot put it all on him.

I don't think anyone has said the event staff is free of fault here. Clearly there was a process failure that needs to be addressed at future events.

But I made the point earlier -- if someone leaves their front door open and you walk in and take stuff, you're still guilty of burglary. So while a mistake may have been made that helped set things in motion, the full responsibility still lies with the person that created the situation. If he had not tried to enter fraudulently, there would be no situation.

The guy says he runs his own league, albiet not offically, he is very close to a Professor. To be honest it was the event holders for not checking properly. Also he guy beat all of you Professors, what dose that say?

I smell jealously to be honest, i can understand it a bit if you were in top 8 and the guy beat you, but lets face it, he didn't do that too you, so just let it be.

Next time event organizers only accept people with a Professor ID or something, no exceptions.

GZ to the player who beat the professors at their own game, sort of shows you something, I won't point it out for fear of massive flame.

He may have been an ineligible player, but he still beat everyone in a straight up game of Pokemon, by the same rules everyone else played by. He crashed an elitist party, and beat them at their own game. I understand both sides of the story, but honestly, anyone crying "I deserve to win because he was ineligible" really doesn't understand the spirit of the game either. Call the whole thing off and donate the prize to charity.

You know why I think this thread should stay open? Because it gives the folks at TPCi an opportunity to look at "professors" who do not uphold the tenets of the code of conduct and spirit of the game thus providing them the objective evidence to determine if one should remain a professor.

Figaro, thank you for your post. :thumb:

Have a great day.

The Prof Cup is intended to be a "Thank you for your hard work Professors" tournament.

Not a "Hey let's stir up some and crash this party" tournament.

Another beautiful reason why people who actually try to defend this guy should be ashamed. Most of those people, I wager know next to nothing about all the things an average professor does, yet they'd be lifting their pitchforks and torches the moment the Professors would say "Know what, forget about the game, let them run it themselves".

I am by no means trying to encourage people to bash Mr. A.A.

But I feel it potent to mention that he did in fact state the trophy money is to make it to grinders HERE.

Make of it what you will.

You know why I think this thread should stay open? Because it gives the folks at TPCi an opportunity to look at "professors" who do not uphold the tenets of the code of conduct and spirit of the game thus providing them the objective evidence to determine if one should remain a professor.

Have a great day.

With all due respect Steve, do you really think Figaro's post warrants the removal of professor status? It does not negatively impact the Pokémon brand in any way, and it would be petty of TPCi to strip someone of professor status for a post like that. As the 'Professionalism' section of the 'Professor Core Values' prohibits statements that hurt the Pokémon brand, Figaro's post was in no way in violation of those 'Values.' He is right as well that people looking for a win via disqualification are NOT in fact upholding the SotG.

I don't agree with Figaro but to squelch harmless posts in support of Aires by waving around the banhammer doesn't reflect well on TPCi.

Have a great day.

Good to know agreement with the mods is mandatory and free speech (even within the guidelines of the rules) is discouraged. :thumb:

At least, good to finally have it in writing.

Last edited:
Good to know agreement with the mods is mandatory and free speech (even within the guidelines of the rules) is discouraged. :thumb:

At least, good to finally have it in writing.

Where do you see "Moderator" under PokeDaddy's name?

Reading comprehension for the win.

How about realizing that there are literally hundreds of posts in this thread that don't agree with positions expoused by staff and they're all still here.
The ones that aren't were removed for going way past the rules, posts on both sides of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back