Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Catcher? Will it ruin the format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hispidey11

The title states it "Will catcher ruin this format?" I believe it will, because bringing any one of your opponents pokemon up and KOing with cards like donphan, zekrom, yanmega, reshiram, etc... is just too powerful. I don't think that Pokemon should have remade gust of wind in my opinion.

Discuss!

They shouldn't have remade Junk Arm. But because they did, they broke Reversal, so we might as well get Catcher at this point. The format will be disappointing and it won't be as good as it could be. But Reversal has already ruined the format by making it flippy. Catcher fixes that, but it doesn't fix the bad format. So ultimately it makes this format better, but it would make it worse if we didn't have Reversal.

In before "it can't be changed, so shut up and stop complaining"

I agree with the above but I also belive that it will influence players to put a 2-1-2 line of vileplume in their deck if space allows. Other than that I think some players may be outraged some won't care but I think that we survived it once why not twice

Considering that everybody will be playing 4 of it, it shouldn't be that different. The fact that in a game both people play it means that it (in theory) nullifies it.

I know that isn't really what will happen, but yeah.

Some people like being able to actually set up something instead of just cramming out stage 1's or big bad basics who completely murder the opposition.

Catcher can't ruin ReshiBoar, all I care about is Reshiram and Emboar, and most pokemon can't KO either, and next turn I'll play Switch...
Posted with Mobile style...

They shouldn't have remade Junk Arm. But because they did, they broke Reversal, so we might as well get Catcher at this point. The format will be disappointing and it won't be as good as it could be. But Reversal has already ruined the format by making it flippy. Catcher fixes that, but it doesn't fix the bad format. So ultimately it makes this format better, but it would make it worse if we didn't have Reversal.

In before "it can't be changed, so shut up and stop complaining"

Junk Arm did not break the format with reversals. In fact it was better than catcher because it at least it gave your opponent a 50% chance of losing one of their pokemon instead of a guarantee KO. Yes I will admit I hate the coin flips in this game but bringing back gust of wind for reversal is a huge mistake!

---------- Post added 08/16/2011 at 08:04 PM ----------

It will not ruin the format if you like fast short games

I prefer longer more skillful games, instead of catcher(draws prize), catcher(draws prize), catcher(draws prize), catcher(draws prize), junk arm catcher(draws prize), junk arm catcher(draws prize) Good Game!

But thats just me...

It's a necesary evil to get away from all the flipping of reversal.

Besides it will finaly bring skill back where mediocre players won't just be able to outflip the better players to steal wins.

You can ask GOOD players and they arn't upset, just the mediocre players that will no longer just be able to outflip to get wins against better players.

^No it's better to have both players on even footing. Even if it really restricts creative deckbuilding, it promotes the most skilled player winning. Sure, decks are more auto-pilot (but not all are - see Top 2 worlds) but still bad flips don't make you lose.

When it's BW-on this will be a completely different conversation though.

EDIT- Ninja'd post directed at hispidey but basically already said by PkB

I agree with the above but I also belive that it will influence players to put a 2-1-2 line of vileplume in their deck if space allows. Other than that I think some players may be outraged some won't care but I think that we survived it once why not twice

Only in some decks would people play 2-1-2 vileplume line because because it it slow there decks down alot. But other than that I agree with you.

Since I've gone 0/7 on Reversal flips in two crucial games during two separate tournaments, you can bet I'll be happy to see all my flips landing "heads." :cool:

It's a necesary evil to get away from all the flipping of reversal.

Besides it will finaly bring skill back where mediocre players won't just be able to outflip the better players to steal wins.

You can ask GOOD players and they arn't upset, just the mediocre players that will no longer just be able to outflip to get wins against better players.

I totally agree with you PkB! I just think this game could do better without either reversal or catcher. But yeah coin flips are awful.

I don't think Catcher will be played four per deck of honestly. It'll be attempted, but any successful deck won't be running four of these UNLESS all decks are. 2 or 3 with Junk Arm in the format is enough. It ruins deck consistency. Kiss your speedy setup goodbye and not sure how many people realize how important a speedy setup is for Catcher to work... But it is.

Quite the contrary. Catcher will definitely bring more decks to light than ever. It won't be run one of five to win.

With the use of recovery cards such as revive, junk arm, flower shop, I think it makes more sense to run less Catcher in a deck and more Junk Arm. It opens a lot of gates and there's a lot of recovery/techs for whatever you may discard.

Just stop complaining learn to adapt with the changes the strong will win and the weak will lose this game doesnt come down to skill it comes down how much you are willing to spend so stop crying this game is all chance and probabilities of you getting the card you need just adapt thats my main point and STOP CRYING OVER A CARD no one is forcing you to play the game
Posted with Mobile style...

Didn't know God was Japanese.

he is on the weekends other than that people did put up some good arguments what i think it will force people to make a faster set up decks, u know to counter all of it, i bet now there will be even more decks like cinccino or something that'll run alot of rare candy's(not that cinccino does but u get the point) and no baby's. you can bet people would want to add more switchs now when it comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back