Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Week 2 - NJ States Report - 10th Place

TheDarkTwins

So after getting 19th in PA, I decided to stay the course with the same deck, but this time I choose to take out my only remaining normal Zekrom for Thundurus. I figured it was a better choice for me due to it helps a bunch against CMT.

R1 – Mirror

I get an awful start, but one timely SSU flip won it for me. I went 1-5, which really hurt, luckily I’m able to eek it out.

Win (1-0)

R2 – Mirror

I go 0-5 on SSU, I can’t draw into what I need to KO him with Terrakion, and it’s just a horrible game. If I flip one or two of these heads, I can win, but it doesn’t happen and it ends up costing me.

Loss (1-1)

R3 – Reshiram Ex

I am able to KO his first Reshiram quickly. I’m able to then KO his second and bench him. I go like 0-5 on SSU again. I’m not happy about it, at all, but at least I’m 2-1.

Win (2-1)

R4 – Vileplue/Vanilluxe/Victini

He starts with lone Oddish, I T1’d him without him getting a turn.

Win (3-1)

R5 – Vileplume/Mewtwo/Virizion/CMT

I get to play against Frank Diaz, whom I’m 1-1 this year against. This matchup boils down to the fact that he whiffs on any energy on a Juniper early game to KO my Zekrom Ex. It was a game killer for him, and we both knew it right away.

Win (4-1)

R6 – Mirror

I don’t remember anything of this matchup for some reason. I don’t know why, but I know I won.

Win (5-1)

R7 – Terrakion

I get paired against Terrakion, but my opponent doesn’t get a good start and decides he just wants to focus on top cut and concedes.

Win (6-1)

I go in as the 4th seed. We had one player drop who went 5-2, so that changes up the matchups. I would have played against Mirror which I would preferred. However I get paired against a Terrakion (not the same as R7)

T16 – Terrakion

G1 – Game is super close, but in the end he eeks it out 6-5.

G2 – I have the game the whole way, but at the end I don’t drop a Mewtwo and he N’s me, which I should have expected and I screw myself because I can’t get the last prize which was just sitting there for me. It’s okay since he gets 2nd and the fact that I put up a good fight to a deck I was completely weak to.

Loss (0-2)/(6-2)

I finish 10th. I’m happy with my change, but overall disappointed that I didn’t do better. I’m happy that I managed to cut after whiffing going 5-2 last week.

Thanks for reading,
Drew

Back