Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Michigan State Champion Report Masters

smacktack15

Michigan State Champion Report

This is my first tournament report of the season and I am only writing one because Reed M talked me into it lol. My tournament season season before SPTs was mediocre by only gathering 16 CP and has really turned around ever since. I took 2nd place at Ontario Provincials to put me at 24 and placed 9th at Quebec Provincials to put me 28. If you look at 28 CP and the point of the season we are at now, it is on the fence, I really needed to pull out some high placings out of somewhere to catch up to players with ridiculous amounts of points. Now on to my journey to Michigan, USA!

I took a bus from my house to Newmarket, ON to meet up with my friends Reed M and Kent S for a 5+ hour trip to Okemos, MI. We easily got past the border by saying we were going to play Pokemon Cards lol, the guard asked us if we were going to play Pikachu and we all said yes :p We drove through 100miles of exits for Saginaw, MI and we thought it was weird so we named our new team after it. TEAM SAGINAW UNITE!!!! We ended up at our hotel around 10:30pm at night and went to Applebees.

This applebees was so sick it deserves its own paragraph lol. It was open late 7 days a week, had sick prices like 12 dollar steak dinners 1/2 price apps after 9pm, and the godliest drink of all Kiwi Lemonade w/ unlimited refills! I wish we had this applebees beside my house, so goooood!

After we ate, we caught up with our Canadian friends (Matt K, Juan L, Marvin P, Ethan P, Tristan P, Andrew E, David and his mom) and got a few games of testing. We also met up with another group of players and a judge and they were super cool too. Kent, Reed, and I went back to our room at 3:00am to test and Matt + Juan came a bit later too. We all tested for an hour or so, everyone went to sleep except me and we were ready for the next day.*

I played in Masters w/ CMT Tyrogue
Reed played in Masters w/ Volcarona.dek
Kent played in Masters w/ ZekEel

We had 7 rds of Swiss and a top 16 cut
I may not remember all names or decks or oder of rounds, if I faced you or you know otherwise, I apologize in advance :O

Rd 1 vs. Coballion/Scizor/Skarmory/Smoochum
I started this game with a mediocre hand facing a T2/3 Coballion with 3 special metals, not very fun to look at :p I hit the Coballion with my Tornadus for 50, he hit my Tornadus for 80, I retreated, brought up Tornadus #2 and hit for 50 + a Plus Power + a Junk Arm for the KO. He promoted a Scizor Prime which became scary but, I continued strong with my non-DCE'd Tornadus and eventually got past it. He benched a few Pokemon and started some Smoochum moves but, I took too far of a lead to make it matter much.*
1-0

Rd 2 vs. ZekEel
I went 2nd but, hit a T1 Tornadus and a Tyrogue to KO his baby eels. My Tyrogue unluckily only got 1 prize but, I PlusPower KOed a few Eels with my Tornadus. He didnt really draw into much and I overpowered his weak set-up for the better part of 30 mins.
2-0

Rd 3 vs CMT mirror
I got a T1 Tornadus start going 2nd to her Tornadus start with an energy. The whole game basically went like that with me having a lead and her behind a bit. She started a Mewtwo war in the middle of the game but, I had already drawn 2 prizes and can combat her Mewtwo ex. She couldn't really KO my Mewtwo back and I dominated the game from there on.
3-0

Rd 4 vs Dave R ZekEel
I started Celebi, Grass, Junk Arm, Junk Arm, PlusPower, Pokemon Catcher, Grass, top deck, Pokemon Catcher, topdeck Mewtwo ex, topdeck, Junk Arm and quickly lost to his better yet still bad start. Oh well, you cant win them all.
3-1

The PTO said there was a 1 hour lunch break so I went to the godly Applebees with Henry P and had some gross food. The godly Applebees only served a godly dinner lol.*

Rd 5 vs Quad Terrakion
I had a decent start to his Terrakion start and I fell behind on purpose. I kept a lot of his Terrakions with damage, Portraited his Twins after KOs on my guys and KOed a few to stay relevant in the game. He had 3 prizes left and catchered up a Celebi for a KO and it was looking bad for me. I had the KO on his Terrakion that turn and played an N to really hurt him. It worked and he draw-passed until I won. GG and thanks for being so nice, you were my nicest opponent all day (Even though most of my opponents were really nice too lol)
4-1

Rd 6 vs Evan B Troll (Terrakion/Tornadus)
He had a Shaymin start to my T1 Tornadus going 2nd and I took a lead quickly. Mid-game, I catchered up his Mewtwo ex and Tornadused it for 80. He looked everywhere for his SSU but, couldnt get a heads to save his Mewtwo. He retreated and attacked my Tornadus with his own. I had a Catcher and a PlusPower for the KO and took the game from there on. We may have had a small late-game Mewtwo war but, it wasn't really relevant at that point.
5-1

Rd 7 vs Matt K CMT mirror
Matt is my friend and he beat me in the finals of Ontario Provincials. I started this game by flipping a coin for the lols to start 1st and flip 2 coins at once for double heads on Dual Ball which was nice :p The game was me taking a lead and then I got badly N'ed to 2 cards in which I got nothing (not even off my Smeargle's Portrait). Oh well, GG Koo.
5-2

I make cut as a fairly high 5-2 because both my loses were X-1.
Kent, Koo and I make cut. Reed whiffs cut at 5-2 :(

Top 16 vs Matt ?? Quad Terrakion
G1: I had a decent start but, I couldn't hit anything late game to win and he hit everything he needed to win. It was a decent game though. I will point something out though, while I was still relevant in this game, I played Dual Ball like I did all day and he asked me to re-roll because I got double heads "rolling too low". I was like whatever and re-rolled because I was only using Dual Ball to search through my deck but, I wasn't happy with being asked again and saw it as a low way to try and win.

G2: I obviously chose to go first and started with Shaymin. I believe I switched to Celebi and attached 2 Grass, and skyarrowed to hit for 60. He played an Oaks Theory and attached and passed. I drop a Pluspower to T2 him.

G3: He went 1st with a normal set-up and mine wasn't the greatest again lol. I play from behind but I dropped an N to put him at 2 cards and he can't recover. He didn't hit an energy or an EXP Share to challenge my set-up at that point in the game. *I took the game from there on.*
6-2

Top 8 vs Lauren ? ZekEel
G1: I started quickly between Tynamo kills with a Tyrogue and a guaranteed Mewtwo war win. She didn't have the greatest start and I dominated this game.*

G2: She had a huge lead on my sub-par start until I dropped a Mewtwo ex with a DCE, a Tyrogue and an N. I KOed her baby eel, she couldn't respond. I switched into a Smeargle, she had nothing, I catchered her Mewtwo ex and KOed it. She still had nothing and I KOed her Thunderus. She still has nothing. I attach a DCE for the game and finished off her last Thunderus.*
7-2

Top 4 vs Matt K CMT mirror
G1: I started this game off by taking a lead and Matt was slowly keeping up. We had a regular Mewtwo war except he N'ed me to 2 cards and I lost control again, the same way he beat me in testing and Swiss.*

G2: I had a strong start to his weaker start and he couldn't hit any of his famous Ns to beat me. I sealed the game after I set-up a 2nd Mewtwo ex and he couldn't hit his N. The biggest point in this game was when Matt went to KO my Mewtwo ex and whiffed on a DCE.*

G3: He starts 1st and gets a good lead but, I was somewhat keeping up with his Mewtwo ex KOs with my own and it turns down to another N. I said out loud I wanted to draw a DCE and Revive off the 3 card N and I do + topdecked a Junk Arm. I wasn't expecting to hit those but, I still had a few other cards to help me out (Supporter, Junk Arm for PokeGear, etc.) I told Matt sorry about the luck sacking of the DCE/Revive and that I didn't expect it. *At least Matt has 47 CP if I recall correctly :D
8-2

Finals vs Kent S ZekEel

So I have to battle one of my friends and a member of Team Saginaw in the finals, Canada has officially put its name on the map at this point. Top 3 of Masters are all Canadian and top 2 of Seniors. Major props to everyone involved in testing, deck building, driving, and chilling.*

G1: I started out strong and Tyrogue his baby eels early game and start a Mewtwo war that I finish. This game wasn't the most hardcore finals match at all because we both won at that point. We both made numerous mistakes and laughed about it later, we joked around with the judges, and had fun.*

G2: I started out weak but, got a Shaymin attacking Tynamos turn 1 going 2nd and catchered up a 2nd Tynamo with 40 HP and played plus-power. The game comes down to me getting a Mewtwo ex out, KOing his Zekrom, and dropping another Mewtwo ex to KO his on the bench the next turn. Gg Kent, I still think your Zekrom list is sickkkkkkk
9-2

So I am the 2012 Michigan State Champion :)

Super Props
Alex Stewart is amazing and is legendary and I love him! He also stays home and plays Xbox when he doesn't want to go to Aaron's house. This guy is a bro and is super chill.

Props
Everyone who helped me out with my list, Team Saginaw and Matt K
The Judges for being awesome
Chris Fulop for hating my sleeves
Meeting some awesome HT members there <3 you guys
Most of my opponents were really nice people
Applebees
Dakota for always knowing everything and #callingit
Canada and everyone who did well or who tried their best
Volcarona love
Where's my son @ Rob T and Curtis L
Where are my caardz @ Jerry
Jerry
Steak and Shake
Kent's ZekEel list
Reed's Epic driving skills and playing Trollcarona
Target
Apples to Apples exclusives
Finally having a decent amount of CP (39)
I liek eggzszsz nonomnmnomnomnomnom
Evil Psyduck for letting me borrow dice :D

If I forgot you in props let me know by posting

Slops:
Jacob for not coming
No vanilla coke at Target
Dual ball re-roll
Fulop hating my sleeves
Long drives are fun, but sometimes are long lol
Miles. Km seem easier to me idk lol
Reed whiffing cut at 5-2

Hopefully you enjoyed my report and hopefully I can continue my winning streak at Ontario Regionals in Toronto, ON :). Hopefully I'll see a lot of new faces there.*

-Zach Lesage

Last edited:
obviously you win, cause the kangas khans were cheering team canada on obviously LOL

Grats bro! You gots this. :p

Congratulations to Zach, Kent and Matt! I keep checking back to see if Jimmy Ballard has stopped by to bless us with any of his profound Pokemon punditry. He really does not like it when Canadians do well. Somebody should remind him that this year marks the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 (look it up).

Ohio in 2011, Michigan in 2012, next year boys, we take Illinoise, Illinois in 2013.

I am looking forward to seeing most of you at Regionals in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the comments Paul, EP, and Mike. Yeah, I hope we can take another States next year and the year after that and so on. We are not the same "bad" players that people sometimes think Canada is filled with, we are definitely a force now :p Hopefully we can prove it on a larger scale this year at Worlds by getting more of our players into cut :)

I'll see everyone at Regionals and I know we will all be playing for 2nd Place because Reed has Regionals this year too lol

Back