Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Guy's concise Regionals and States report

tinox6

Hey everybody, I just wanted to write up a little report for States and Regionals. I played in NC and KY states and GA Regionals. Here we go!

In NC I decided to play Zekrom Eels. I went 5-2 in swiss, winning against CMT twice, Regigigas, and Zekrom Eels twice. I lost to Zekrom Eels twice as well. In top cut I faced Catherine with Magnezone Eels, and won in 3 games. They were all really good games, she’s a pretty good player too! So 3 of us from Team MissingNo. made it to top 8; Erik Nance, Zach Bivens, and myself. I played against Erik’s Durant in top 8 and just couldn’t do anything against it. So I finished up in the top 8. Erik went on to beat Zach in top 4 (sadly Team MissingNo. ppl had to face each other before top 2), and Erik finished 2nd to Ryan Sabelhaus. It was a great tournament and a good day for team MissingNo.!

I decided to try my hand at my favorite deck for KY states: Chandelure/Switch. It started out as Emboar/Fire Chandelure, then evolved into Chandelure/Vanilluxe, and finally became Chandelure/Mew (to see off the fire Chandy)/Switch. It was incredibly fun to play! I started off 4-1, but had a really bad feeling at that point. I got donked in round 6, and lost a SUPER close game to Alex Hass (by 2 damage counters, haha) in round 7, who played really well. So I ended up 4-3. It was fun!

For regionals, I convinced myself that everyone was going to tech for Zekrom Eels, making Mewtwo Celebi a good play, I also like the colors green and purple, so it seemed like a very visually appealing deck, haha. I kind of felt weird about my deck choice the night before because I was having a hard time focusing on the games with this deck. Traditionally, I like to play decks that challenge me to think things through (and I actually do believe that Zekrom Eels does this. The mirror match is actually a very fun match up!) so I probably should have played Chandelure/Zoroark/Switch for this tournament (evolving again!). Anyway, I went 4-4, losing to Durant twice, Zekrom Eels, and CMT. The best game I had all day was against Ann-Marie. She took a 4 prize lead with Regigigas, and I prized my Gigas, Shaymin EX, and 2 Tornadus, but I made a pretty decent comeback, tying the game at 1 prize in sudden death. It all came down to a Juniper which net her a Mewtwo and 2 grass. It was SUCH a good game!! She went on to make top 8, which was awesome. As far as Team Missing No. is concerned, Erik made top 32 with Donphan/Yanmega (awesome deck btw!) losing to Celebi/Straight Mewtwo…which seemed like it was probably his only really really iffy matchup in top cut. Zack finished in 4th with Zekrom Eels. I would like to point out that 5/8 in top 8 were from NC/SC and everyone in top 4 were from NC/SC. Good job guys! Ryan Sabelhaus went on to beat Ashon Haswell in top 2, and Robert Shipp finished 3rd.

The video game was fun as well. I finished 5-3 using Garchomp, Zapdos, Metagross, Lickilicky, Conkeldurr, and Rotom-W.

Props:
Team Misisng No!
NC/SC players
Noodles, comics, and ice cream!
Having fun with everyone in Athens.

Slops:
NoslopsNoslopsNoslops!
Oh wait…Kevin should have come to regionals….

---------- Post added 04/17/2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

Also, here's my Chandelure list. If you can make it better, please give it a try!! :) :)

4-1-3 Chandelure
1-1 Doduo
1 Smeargle
3-2 Zoroark
1 Mewtwo EX

4 Collector
1 Poke Gear
4 Twins
4 Juniper
3 N
1 Oak
3 Communication
4 Candy
4 Switch
1 Catcher
4 Junk Arm
2 Super Rod

4 DCE
4 Psychic (mainly just to attack with Zoroark)

Nice report Guy! Like you said, it was to the point. I'll probably write my own up this weekend, provided I find the time.

I honestly can't comment on the Chandy list, as I've never really played it myself. Is there a reason there's no fire Chandelure though? Seems like a great attack to finish the turn with (3 damage counters here, 3 damage counters there, 30-30-30 bam!). I also like Zoroark in here too. How does the 1-1 Dodrio stand up to Catcher?

He ran a Fire Chandy, must have forgot to list it!

GREAT game, Guy!! Probably my best game of the day!
Posted with Mobile style...

Back