Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Water Proof Card Sleeves [Ultra Pro: Pro Fit Video Review]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_meadowbrook

I recently bought some Ultra Pro: Pro Fit card sleeves that when paired with a normal sleeve, will make your cards water proof.

This is my video test of the cards. Venonat took a bath and is perfectly dry. (Hopefully this post is in the right place).

Video Link

Hmm...he mentions the added thickness of using the Pro Fits as a reason to only use them on valuable cards...but wouldn't that create a marked card situation if a pattern of cards (in this case, EXs/Tropical Beach) are noticeably thicker?
Probably irrelevant for games at home/league, where it's more likely someone will tip over a drink on the kitchen table...but I felt it was worth noting.

-Kooper, who'd rather double sleeve over the normal Deck Protector sleeve, to protect a Japanese/art sleeve as well as the card inside.

It's not noticeable at all. I've been play testing with a guy who judges a bunch of events. You cannot tell when holding one of each in your hands.

You can notice your deck is taller once you double sleeve half your deck as a test.

The difference between holo energy and non-holo cards is more noticeable.

You'll want to check with the PTO or head judge before using double-sleeved cards in an event. There is the possibility to use them to mark cards and the floor rules state "Each card sleeve contains only one card." This caused some debate awhile back as to whether the rules meant this as the only thing that could be inside a sleeve was one card or if it was just to stop players from playing with multiple cards in a sleeve. In the end, the rules state "The Head Judge has the final say regarding whether a player’s card sleeves may be used in a tournament." So the head judge at one tournament might allow it (interpreting the rules one way) while the head judge at another event might not allow it.

I have the pro fit sleeves, you can definitely tell which cards are double sleeved and which aren't. The double sleeved ones are stiffer and thicker. You won't be able to tell by just looking at them, but you can if you're holding them.

I have the pro fit sleeves, you can definitely tell which cards are double sleeved and which aren't. The double sleeved ones are stiffer and thicker. You won't be able to tell by just looking at them, but you can if you're holding them.

This is what I suspected, thanks for confirming it: If you double-sleeve just a few cards from your deck, it's not a major leap to "...and now I'll shuffle it to the top since I can find it by feel".

If anyone double-sleeves at an event I'm judging (or even just deck checking), I'd definitely require them to do all or none.

Double Sleeving HAS to be all-or-none, and even then it's at the discretion of the TO and HJ at the event in question.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion and I respect that.

Recently, I posted a thread about holographic energy clumping compared to regular energy cards. I can 100% feel the difference between official "Play Pokemon" holographic energy and regular cards.

There have also been replies on the earlier thread that people could actually see curled energy cards in their prizes during the hgss era.

All this to say, I don't think anyone needs to worry. This doesn't seem like the type of thing anyone is going to use to help them cheat. If you look through my cards, you aren't going to see or feel the difference in the extra sleeve. They are thin and barely noticeable. It you pay wicked close attention, sure, you'll notice but in real world circumstances, I don't notice a difference and no one else does.

All that to say, i will keep the rest of the sleeves on my person in case I do encounter a judge that has a problem with what I've got.

Guess I'll go ahead and say this. The perfect fit sleeves dont add any extra thickness to the over all deck on a few cards like penny sleeves would. I used 6 on my deck and that was to keep cards in a ideal condition for my collection or on my bird cards I wanted to keep in good shape like my zapdos, articuno and moltres. However if you are going to double sleeve half your deck, you need to do the whole thing.

Pokemon cards also have different thicknesses and weights that do affect the deck and how it shuffles and can sway how cuts happen. Would you really want to tell players to either have they deck full rev, full art, holo or no foils at all because of the chances of fowl play? I can tell when I have a foil card prized because of how they curve and with the knowledge of my deck, I can tell what card it is.

I dont think people would cheat with these but you never know. I dont consider perfect fits a sleeve but rather a really small jewel case meant to preserve the condition of the card but I would be cautious if half a deck is sleeved with them and those cards happen to be. Rather then making it about a few cards being doubled sleeved, we should make it about foil cards altogether.

So...a sleeve to put in a sleeve? That is kinda odd in concept lol...

I guess if you're worried about spills that much, it can work.

Well put Vaporeon! I agree with you completely. I'm pretty sure I only have 6 cards protected as well.

It would be great if there could be some pressure on the production of the cards in regards to playability.

---------- Post added 01/11/2013 at 08:48 PM ----------

So...a sleeve to put in a sleeve? That is kinda odd in concept lol...

I guess if you're worried about spills that much, it can work.

It's so we can play underwater!

All that to say, i will keep the rest of the sleeves on my person in case I do encounter a judge that has a problem with what I've got.

You're not going to find a judge who doesn't have an issue with double sleeving a portion of your deck. However imperceptible you claim it is, it is still a marked card situation. I worry more about a judge who doesn't see this as an issue than I do about the issue itself, and marked cards tend to be a very serious one.

I'm gong to post a follow up video. Last night I sleeved my entire deck with pro-fit sleeves and my deck is definitely thicker, but it's not unmanageable.

Originally I was concerned it would excessively thicken the deck, but this isn't terrible. My friends were suggesting that I make a shirt that says "my deck is bigger then yours". You can also make jokes about how Keldeo can't splash you since your deck is waterproof...

The deck is sleeved with Dragon Shields which are already pretty thick. Pro Fit sleeves make the deck about 1/4 of an inch thicker then a normal dragon sleeved deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back