Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Klaczynski Open, The World's First Major Unsanctioned Event (Aug 31 & Sept 1)

Ness

[gal=54913]Ness Open[/gal]
The
Klaczynski Open
:fire::grass::water::fighting::lightning::psychic::colorless::dark::metal:

August 31 & September 1
Tinley Park Convention Center
Tinley Park, Illinois

Tickets on sale now! http://ko2013.eventbrite.com

It's official! I am pleased to announce that this Labor Day weekend, along with the help of many other enthusiastic Pokémon TCG veterans, I will be hosting the world's first major Unsanctioned Pokémon TCG Event! The Klaczynski Open will be held at the spacious Tinley Park Convention Center, conveniently located right off of I-80 and just 30-40 minutes south of Chicago's two major airports.

The Klaczynski Open will consist of two separate, side-by-side tournaments:

Main Event
Intended for players ages 15 & up

14 & under Event
Open only to players ages 14 & under

Some exciting elements of the event include:

• Best 2-of-3 Swiss Rounds (featuring a 75 minute + 3 turn time limit)
  • Over 25 Booster boxes and more as prizes!
  • 6 Booster Boxes to the Main Event winner!
  • A custom die to all entrants
  • On-stage Top 8 matches projected to jumbo screen
  • Live Stream from Kyle "Pooka" Sucevich and The Top Cut
  • Custom 1st Place trophies to winners of both events
  • An on-site vendor (Top Cut Central) buying and selling Pokémon TCG cards
  • Seating for over 300 players
  • Win-a-box and Draft Side Events on both days
  • Foreign versions of Tropical Beach permitted in decks
  • Online deck registration
  • Online pairings

Format
2013-2014 Modified

Entry Fees
Earlybird Registration, Main Event: $30 ($40 after July 15)
Earlybird Registration, 14 & Under Event: $20 ($30 after July 15)

Earlybird Registration begins today! Buy your tickets before July 15 to receive $10 off the standard admission price!

Full Details & Ticket Purchase Page: http://ko2013.eventbrite.com

A large, unsanctioned event with great prizes has been a goal of myself, Kyle Sucevich and the Pokémon community for quite some time. Thanks to help from many others, this dream is finally a reality! I hope to see as many of you as possible at the event! I welcome any questions you guys may have!

Read more at: http://thetopcut.net/2013/06/26/2013-klaczynski-open-details-inside/

A special thanks to:
  • Kyle Sucevich & The Top Cut for contributing playmats as prizes and streaming the event live
  • Jimmy Ballard & Top Cut Central for contributing booster boxes as prizes
  • Sam Chen for designing our custom die logo
  • Dustin Zimmerman for designing our banner ads
  • Quiandro Verstichel for designing our logo
  • Heidi Craig for making the trip from Florida to Head Judge
  • Carlos Pero for designing simple online pairing software that will be used at this event
  • Laura McQuistion, Shaun Kauffman, Mike Newman, Adam Vernola, Theodore Johnpaul Adams & Chris Fulop for sitting out the event to judge
    [*]The countless others that provided feedback and guidance along the way

Last edited:
This is a huge milestone for the Pokémon TCG. I can't wait for this great event. If this one succeeds, the sky is the limit for the future of our game. You're missing out on history if you don't make it to this event!

Impressive that it's actually happening. This has been a long time coming for the Pokemon TCG. As a member of The Top Cut, I'm proud to be associated with this event. I hope everyone who has the means to attend this does so, so there can be many other events like it in the future.

As someone who judges and grinds competitive TCG events like this one, I am super stoked that something like this is coming to Pokemon. A large, unsanctioned event with huge prizes? I don't see any losses when it comes to this tournament!

So excited that Jason has taken the time and effort to make such a milestone in the game we all love! Come out to support and play in a part of TCG history!

Amazing!

I can't wait for this event! If you live in the U.S. you should attend! I can't wait to hang with everyone. I'm gonna kill the competition! I heard the Great White Hope will be there! I can't wait to meet him!

This will be an unforgettable event in Pokemon TCG history. I cannot wait to be a part of the first year of many more to come!

This is gonna be SO EPIC!! Thanks Jason and The Top Cut and everyone else for making such a fantastic event possible! I can't wait.

Quick question, if foreign tropical beaches are allowed what about other foreign cards?

After discussion with other judges, parents, players, etc., I decided to limit foreign cards only to Tropical Beach for two reasons:

1. Foreign cards might be particularly confusing to younger players.
  2. Since Plasma Blast will have recently debuted, players may not have all of the new cards memorized.

Overall, I don't think foreign cards would create that much confusion, and perhaps in a future event, I'll allow them, but being the first event of its kind, I decided I'd "play it safe" and just limit it to Tropical Beach.

This is literally the coolest independent Pokemon TCG event in the history of the game, and by the game's biggest celebrity and promoter no less! I am sure the Klaczynski Open is going to be a huge success and can't wait! Buying my ticket now while its still cheap!!!

Thank you to Jason for organizing!

Moss

This is going to be a fantastic event with the biggest prizes ever seen in an independent tournament. Jason has taken great care to make sure every aspect of this event is going to be awesome, professional, and everything else you want it to be.

After discussion with other judges, parents, players, etc., I decided to limit foreign cards only to Tropical Beach for two reasons:

1. Foreign cards might be particularly confusing to younger players.
  2. Since Plasma Blast will have recently debuted, players may not have all of the new cards memorized.

Overall, I don't think foreign cards would create that much confusion, and perhaps in a future event, I'll allow them, but being the first event of its kind, I decided I'd "play it safe" and just limit it to Tropical Beach.

Thanks man for replying back so quickly, this is a great idea and I'm already trying to get a group together to head up there to help support your event. Anything that helps pokemon in any kind of way I'm willing to help 100%.

I've been playing for a long time and I don't think there has ever really been an event quite like this, I'm extremely excited! I know for a fact that Jason and everyone else involved have put an enormous amount of time into organizing this event and working out every detail. It will undoubtedly be a ton of fun and I hope to see a lot of you guys there!

I am so excited for this. i feel like this is a HUGE milestone in pokemon, it is everything that the players wanted in a tournament and it will be exciting to see how our ideas will turn out. Hopefully this tournament will change some of the ways our tournaments are done now. Great job jason!

Kaitlin Young

I'm very, very excited to see something like this pop up, and from the looks of it, everything is very well thought out and put together. I will do everything in my power to attend, finances permitting!

Back