Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What happened to The PokeGym?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see instead of custom avatar days, the ability to make custom avatars all the time. I think some users like to "customize" their accounts on online forums and so I think that although premades are nice, a lot of people would rather make their own. Or perhaps make the custom days more frequent as we haven't had one in forever.

Also I think maybe reopening the moderator applications to people like myself who have been offering to help for months a chance to actually help. I understand the screening process but we need more mods who are available. Often when I come online under the online users no mods are on...

I've been offering my assistance for months getting run around replies. I was told by Pop I was going g to be set up. I was told by BJ that mods aren't needed. I was told by another mod that we need a lot more. I'm sure I'm not the only person that this has happened to. I still offer my resources by reporting posts but even then mods tell me not to. There is the "mod discussion" thread and I think something like should've been discussed...

just because you (...general "you") don't 'see' mods online doesn't mean they aren't here. many have their accounts set to 'invisible'...

The thing about being invisible is... If I had an issue, I'd want to contact whatever mod was online. I personally don't trust team compendium after they didn't reply to my thread for more than 2 months

if there's an issue with a post, report it and the mods will see it. that's the primary way to contact the staff members.

But if I have a general question and am not sure whether or not it falls within the rules, it would be more beneficial to clarify with a mod. Especially since I've been told by multiple mods that I should stop reporting posts

Being a "Front page news editor" is a misleading title- which needs to be changed for better clarification. I have the ability to transfer a thread I create in my area to make it show on the front page. I can not do so with an existing thread in an area I have no powers. I find VG news, create the thread in my area, and then I can move it elswhere- FP if I'd like. Sometimes other staff get info before me on news, and they have FP abilities to post there.

It's all in my access and limitations and where my specific areas are that allows me to do/not do certain things.

IMO- we are lacking in staff as far as numbers go. I work with what my limitations are, and with what my powers allow.

P_A, I don't find you being rude. I know you know the drill on staff/mod for here. I agree that perhaps I might be looking to much into "modding" right off over being more interactive with members-- that I will work on for improving upon.

I can see both sides. I personally don't like the idea of staff setting themselves to invisible. That's like a cop hiding in a city. It's hard for people to ask for help if they don't know you're there. Yes, someone can report a post, but I could see someone thinking that contacting a mod that is currently online would be a quicker way of resolving a problem. I've done it myself in the past on another forum. And members don't see what happens when they report a post. They don't see how it makes a post in Victory Road, how it contacts the mods of that area by e-mail.

I reported a post once and it took over a week for it to be moved to it's appropriate section here on the gym. So if it takes that long for a response to a reported post, then there's something wrong. Do you get so many reported posts that you have to ask people not to report them anymore? That's amazing. I would think you'd be thrilled that the members are making your job easier - that you don't have to go out and search for erring posts. If anything you should be THANKING people for their diligence. And if PokemonTrader feels like his help is not needed or appreciated, don't you think that might have some bearing on his and our response to your request to have posts reported? Don't you think that leaves an unwelcoming attitude with the members? Seriously, I'm surprised and disappointed in you guys. That's pretty rude in my opinion. From now on as far as I'm concerned you can do your own searching.

As for the "invisible" setting ... to be honest, I also have mine set that way. And I've had it that way for quite some time. I never really think of it anymore, since it really doesn't matter whether people know I'm online or not. However if you're a mod that wants to show people that you are open to suggestions, then you wouldn't have it set that way - you'd be truly honest about your availability. However being the person that I am, I'll also defend to the death your right to be as close minded and shut off from everyone as you feel necessary. You decide who you want to be. Hopefully it'll be the former. I know it's time for me to change my setting.

I know that reported posts go to the thread on Victory Road.
What I'm saying is, when I report things I never hear anything about it except if they PM me saying to stop reporting posts.
Well some posts stay with their errors for WEEKS.

It is so easy to tell staff how they can do their job better, without actually having to do any of the work themselves. It's so easy to suggest things and expect them to happen, and then complain when people say those things may not be possible at the moment. It's so easy to tell the staff how they've made mistakes in the past and keep repeating how many mistakes they've made.

This thread has been useful, but at the same exact time, I feel like it's wearing it's purpose. I've opened up and told everyone about the troubles of the PokeGym and the work that goes on behind the scenes, and I feel like lately the only kind of replies we are getting continue to tell us where we've made mistakes, where we're not utilizing our resources well, where our staff are being lazy, and other faults.

This thread is not being helpful anymore. It feels like people are just tearing at the PokeGym because they can. They are picking on mods because they can. They are bringing up past bad memories because they can.

I am trying my best to do the most I can to improve the PokeGym but for every hour I put into my work, I see replies asking for five more to do other things.

The members of this community don't have to lift a finger. It's easy for them to post in a thread and suggest ideas. It's easy for them to suggest ways to change things. But they aren't the ones putting in the months of effort to get something working. No, those members can come and go, spend less than five minutes on the forum in a single week and not even care about it.

We love suggestions, but this thread has gone beyond suggestions. This thread has become the place to tell the PokeGym where they went wrong. And I guess that's fair. The title of the thread is, "What happened to the PokeGym". But I guess I felt things were being productive for a while earlier in the thread.

I'm just not seeing that as much.

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just tired of trying to answer for every single wrong or every single mistake that has ever happened on this forum. Maybe I'm tired of trying to answer why every suggestion can or can't happen.

I am just one staff member trying to make a difference, and I feel like people are asking too much of me.

So I'm going to likely be taking a break from this thread. I have my projects on this forum, and I will continue to read this thread, but I can't keep answering everything. I don't have the answer for everything and I don't have the energy to answer it if I could.

I will be working with staff to open up a new forum called PokeGym Feedback, a public forum for members to post their opinions, ask questions, and offer feedback on topics. We will be sharing our projects and goals on that forum.

Until then, continue on with the discussion, but please don't expect replies from me.

It is so easy to tell staff how they can do their job better, without actually having to do any of the work themselves. It's so easy to suggest things and expect them to happen, and then complain when people say those things may not be possible at the moment. It's so easy to tell the staff how they've made mistakes in the past and keep repeating how many mistakes they've made.

I'm offering my services to help. I'm willing to work and help make the gym better.

What I'm saying is, when I report things I never hear anything about it except if they PM me saying to stop reporting posts.

You expect to hear about the end results of a post you reported?

Maybe because the post isn't in error?

Quick reply:

Prime, I still plan on giving you my brainstorming post (a post I might add will be 100% polar to my previous posts.) I've made my rant, made my point, and you and much of the staff acknowledged my opinion and my thoughts, regardless of you own opinion regarding the issues I brought forth (some of which we probably will continue to disagree on [which is fine]). I apologize if my posts came off in the manner you spoke of, I am very aware of the tone of my posts, it should go that I was passionate enough about helping the Gym that I was prepared to be that brutally honest in my opinion. My intent was NOT to turn this thread into a staff bashing thread...though I recognize that it has (and probably in no small part due to myself) been tilted that way. I promised you a serious brainstorming post, and unfortunately, I won't be able to make until at least tomorrow afternoon. I do hope you respond to that one, but you've responded to all my previous posts (as have much of the other staff) and to that I am grateful. If necessary, I'll PM you what I am thinking. It should make you feel better that this thread has personally renewed my respect and trust in the staff at Pokegym as a whole. I haven't rushed the post because I'm writing it with the mentality that I would write something if I was a moderator or admin on any other site and recognizing the time and effort some of my suggestions may entail. So if you don't respond to it I understand, but I want to make sure you know that.

EDIT:
In the meantime I would like to encourage all the other frequent (member) posters in this thread to change the direction of this topic and focus more on productive ideas and brainstorming that doesn't rely on attacking the staff. We've established many faults that members see in the staff. We've beat that Rapidash to death and then some, and it's all here in one convenient thread. I think both the members and the staff can agree on what both sides sees as "what happened to the Pokegym," even if they don't agree on every point. The next step is to find solutions and ideas of progress for the future. The staff has in turn acknowledged that we as members have those grievances and have promised to discuss and investigate them. This is a HUGE accomplishment in the member-staff communications, and in my opinion, a huge step in achieving what this thread is designed for.

I appreciate the time the staff is taking to read, keep-up with, and interact with this thread, I also want to thank the other contributing members who are posting in this thread. I know I'm not the OP, and I'm not in any kind of power position to "take control" of this thread, and I'm not trying to, and staff, I'm not trying to step on your toes with this either. However as vocal member in this thread, I acknowledge my part in turning the thread to a more "staff bashing" direction, which as I stated above, is not the best direction to take to make progress.

Last edited:
I know that reported posts go to the thread on Victory Road.

You expect to hear about the end results of a post you reported?

Maybe because the post isn't in error?

BJJ763,

When I report a post, usually it is a pretty straight forward rule that was broken.
eg.) Selling in trading post, cursing etc.
However, there are some occasions from the grey areas that each mod deals with differently. Like I said, some rules need a revamp.
eg.) Posting/bumping 4+ times is a reportable offense. Reply (which I would consider a bump) + 3 bumps is not. This is an example of a grey area rule for most. I only know that it is true because of a rude PM I received.

Sometimes there is no real clarification regarding rules such as the example above that when I report them, I don't here a reply. So if for instance, I see that the post hasn't been addressed or whatever for a few days I'll re-report because as I thought the reports went to Team Compendium not Victory Road. PokePop told me that Team Compendium is SWAMPED and "posts get lost" in there. What did I interpret it as?
A) You might have missed it.
B) There aren't enough mods to handle the reports.
So I would report if I saw the issue, time and time again. Finally some mods (who I won't name) contacted me via private message very condescendingly and told me that my reports are a waste of their time and that most issues you all see anyways.

However, you are taking my post out of context from above.

I don't want a "follow up" saying "Report #124 - User got a yellow infraction!"
If for instance I report something and it is incorrect, what I'm asking for is perhaps a little PM stating
"Hey, the post you reporting regarding X issue is valid. The rules state Y. Thanks for your contribution to the Pokégym community."

So that way, next time when I read through posts on the community, and I see something I can recall "Oh yeah, BJJ763 said that this isn't reportable because of Y." Instead of reporting it because the last one I saw had that rule "broken" and in reality they didn't break anything the first time. It is a snowballing effect.

Do you understand what I mean?

EDIT:
Absoltrainer - I hope this post is what you mean? Basically we need rules revamped.

Hmmm, now you've gone and done it. Eeveelover, I think you'll have to take that statement back. He has pissed people off. Just who do you think you are Prime? Do you think that you or any other members of the mod community are above reproach? Do I sound like a broken record to you? Have I repeatedly posted any mistakes you or anyone else have made? I think you are overstating a point. If you want to see some real change to the gym, then you have to realize that passions over problems occur on both sides. You've just inflamed them instead of trying to put the fires out. Yeah, I pity you.

This thread has been useful, but at the same exact time, I feel like it's wearing it's purpose. I've opened up and told everyone about the troubles of the PokeGym and the work that goes on behind the scenes, and I feel like lately the only kind of replies we are getting continue to tell us where we've made mistakes, where we're not utilizing our resources well, where our staff are being lazy, and other faults.

This thread is not being helpful anymore. It feels like people are just tearing at the PokeGym because they can. They are picking on mods because they can. They are bringing up past bad memories because they can.
Oh, so that makes it all better does it? So you think that anger produced by the members over legitimate complaints should just go away and never be mentioned again. Is that it? Then you surely must live in a dreamworld, or had an amazingly sheltered childhood, because that's not how the world works.

I am trying my best to do the most I can to improve the PokeGym but for every hour I put into my work, I see replies asking for five more to do other things.
Unfortunately Prime, sometimes that happens. Sure, I see what you are doing. And sure, I've been in your shoes as a mod when they weren't all that appreciated as well, so I know how you're feeling. But you lost control of your tact button - and believe me ..... that's a mortal sin as a mod.

The members of this community don't have to lift a finger. It's easy for them to post in a thread and suggest ideas. It's easy for them to suggest ways to change things. But they aren't the ones putting in the months of effort to get something working. No, those members can come and go, spend less than five minutes on the forum in a single week and not even care about it.
Oh really? Is that how you think of MY posts as well?

We love suggestions, but this thread has gone beyond suggestions. This thread has become the place to tell the PokeGym where they went wrong. And I guess that's fair. The title of the thread is, "What happened to the PokeGym". But I guess I felt things were being productive for a while earlier in the thread.

I'm just not seeing that as much.
Yes, Prime .... yes, that is fair. You provide a service. You're a volunteer. If I see a volunteer at a banquet picking their nose and then continuing to serve food afterwards don't you think I should call them on it? Or mention the problem to their higher ups? I have to exaggerate to make you see the point - but you know what I mean. You are not above reproach.

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just tired of trying to answer for every single wrong or every single mistake that has ever happened on this forum. Maybe I'm tired of trying to answer why every suggestion can or can't happen.

I am just one staff member trying to make a difference, and I feel like people are asking too much of me.

So I'm going to likely be taking a break from this thread. I have my projects on this forum, and I will continue to read this thread, but I can't keep answering everything. I don't have the answer for everything and I don't have the energy to answer it if I could.

I will be working with staff to open up a new forum called PokeGym Feedback, a public forum for members to post their opinions, ask questions, and offer feedback on topics. We will be sharing our projects and goals on that forum.

Until then, continue on with the discussion, but please don't expect replies from me.
Yes, Prime, right now, yes, it is you. You need to realize that actions here, just like anywhere else have consequences. Now you know why I said I pity you. Yes, it's probably time to step back and have a more detached attitude on things. You didn't make all the problems yourself, and you can't take possession of those problems. But you CAN help work towards an understanding between everyone and help to see it doesn't happen again. To that end, perhaps it's best if you do take a bit of a break .... I hate to say it, but it's best for all our sakes. You've been civil and understanding thus far on this thread, but you need to get back to a calm and reasoned demeanor or things will get much worse. We can realize that it can be tiring when dealing with a problem so we can all hope things settle down a bit. I hope however, that you realize that your outburst may have inflamed many users further and the discussion will be far from over. I sincerely hope this thread doesn't get locked because of that, since the responsibility WILL be yours. Good luck.

I sincerely hope this thread doesn't get locked because of that, since the responsibility WILL be yours. Good luck.

Most of your post I agree, but this 100% disagree...if this thread gets locked it will be due to the combined uncivil comments on BOTH sides. This is going to be a sensitive topic. We as members are directly critiquing the staff's personal project, one that they take great pride in. This is also the age of the internet. Tone and emphasis are easy to be lost when making a comment virtually. If progress is to be made, we must ALL (on both sides) be willing to take our hands off the keyboard and take a breather and calm down when things get too heated. Prime I do agree that you are taking the entire brunt of our complaints alone, and that's got to be stressful, I know from experience, in real life situation where I can't wait a week before I reply. Take advantage of the fact that you CAN re-read and edit your thoughts and take your time. The same goes to all the members posts (even myself.)

Whichever moderators inputs lead to this post, they are wrong. This is not the first time this problem has been addressed. Anyone remember Rogue Archetype tackling the problem of the staff's terrible reputation for social interaction with the members? Only at that time PokeGym had something to show for itself: a well-operated resource and activity center even if the staff was not very member-oriented. It was the only pokemon website anyone ever needed.

But now PokeGym is where it is because the staff let it go.
1) Yes, Facebook as a platform lead to people spending less time here but that is because the platform is friendlier: it isn't saddled with outdated rules. PokeGym threads/posts are a lot easier to follow than Facebook comments yet people use Facebook. Rules in the tournament boards are outdated and overbearing.
2) CotD is not updated but as a resource is antiquated. On top of that, the rules are restrictive and PokeGym has failed to adapt and so has lost both a resource as well as an activity (because CotD themes were a nice activity) and got was outpaced by other websites.
3) Deck articles and past CotD reviews are hard to find. I always thought that PokePedia was superior to Research Tower because you can search in PokePedia while Research Tower is a name filter. However, an opportunity has presented itself because Pokepedia's images don't work. If Research Tower was a bit friendlier to use, maybe incorporate links to CotD reviews, it would be a more powerful tool. Just an idea.
4) Important OP events and PokeGym resources for them are not newsworthy to PokeGym. You can't say this is lack of contributions. A look in the State Championships board shows lots of events there. LosJackal has the event locator resource ready to go.
5) Old/unnecessary posts/rules remain pinned. It makes the forum look unmaintained. If moderators are reviewing their areas, they need to take a harder look at making sure the boards are free of so much pinned clutter.
6) Articles stopped being contributed and PokeGym was outdone by other websites. I'm curious, if I wanted to write an article about how I was 56th at PA RC with Excadrill, would it be quick to publish or would it get trapped in weeks of editing and lines of requirements?
7) Staff on here is pointing out how they don't have time to sufficiently perform their roles and it is visible that the PokeGym is suffering as a result. News editors are taking on moderating roles. Roles are outdated or need redefinition.
8) Its decklist generator is missing 3 sets! :eek:

Prime, this isn't for you to address alone. This is a project and you won't be able to do it alone.

Yes, I agree, I think this thread has run its course. We have answered the question "what happened to The PokeGym?" The members have communicated that staff cannot largely blame the falling standards at PokeGym on Facebook and other websites that have incorporated new technologies and recruited talent. It's been a month. You say members aren't stepping up to volunteer but where is the application? PokemonTrader is begging you to sign him up. The staff doesn't appear ready to sign on anyone who wants to volunteer or make changes to bring PokeGym back up to par. Would new volunteers have to work with the same mentality staff currently has that keeps the outdated rules and resources without update? Prime, you may be ready to throw a fresh coat of paint on PokeGym but you need to go back and ask the rest of the staff if they are ready too. New Volunteers won't sign on if the current staff doesn't think new paint is needed.

Thank you for your attention in the thread. :smile:

Last edited:
As a long time member of this board, I have been off & on this site a few times over the years.
Trying other sites like Pokebeach for deck help/suggestions.

That site is just plain rude. They have way too many rules.
For example if you wanted to post an updated deck list, you have to make a new topic.
Plus they didn't let you suggest a deck idea for somebody else's deck (if you post a new deck list).

This site is much better about that stuff, however it does have a bad habit of wiping out all the old deck ideas when they purge the data.
Plus it seems that there aren't quite as many helpful people to assist with deck ideas as there once was.
With the huge influx of new players due to the new game/card sets there seems to be quite a few people that need help.
Yet not many people do so.

Also to an earlier statement about the forum color/design, just a reminder that there are a few different color schemes to choose from.

As for the mod stuff, as long as they do their jobs & keep people from doing all out flame-wars/attacks on other sites (I have seen it happen on other sites) they can stay in the shadows.

I said I wouldn't get involved, but after being away from the 'gym for a few months, within days of coming back I get a "warning". So I guess I'll share my opinion on things and why I, following folks I know, stopped using the gym.

As I stated to the mod, yeah, he was likely following the "letter of the law" here, but likely not the "spirit". Either way, while it might seem like a minor thing to you guys (meaning the mods), for me, and others I know, it isn't. No one likes to tiptoe around watching their every move scared they may step on some rule (or be perceived as doing so), then get the equivalent of a stern finger pointed at them (warning) or a slap on the wrist (infraction). How welcoming does that feel? I've been on MANY, MANY forums over the years, and I 100% honestly can not remember receiving an infraction or warning anywhere else except here (and once at Pokebeach, which wasn't even a warning, just a PM from a mod asking me to update a post). Here it just always felt like you were a guest that the master of the home doesn't particularly care for, and you were fine to stay as long as you didn't irritate him in some way you didn't realize

If I want to see rulings, I can browse as a guest, but participate in the "community"? Why bother when there are much more lax places to get the same info and conduct the same business?

Just adding in my 2¢ from someone who did indeed stop using the 'gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back