Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Changes to Definition of the Term “Defending Pokémon”

Ultimately yes.

BTW, the errata announcement is up here. Jamming Net was also mistranslated.

However, these are coming on the heels of the change in XY to the term "Defending Pokémon". Much like the "Push/Pull" changes in BW, there were some legacy decisions made about how some things were translated, way back in the WOTC days that have been followed. Given my lack of fluency in Japanese, we don't even realize there is an issue on these in some situations until something really bizarre happens. I'm confident the number has gone down, but here we are.

Back to "Defending Pokémon" there were 2 terms in Japanese, essentially "opponent's battle Pokémon" (they use Battle P. for Active P.) and "the Pokémon that received this attack" that were both translated as Defending Pokémon. Going forward we'll be translating that first phrase as "opponent's Active Pokémon" and only using "Defending Pokémon" for the second one. Given the change, there's still some occasional issues, but we're doing even more specific checks for those phrases, in both directions, to ensure there's no translation collisions like these.

So, yes, sorry, we goofed on these two cards. Hopefully going forward though we'll be in a more precise environment, which is my top goal for TCG text. We're also working on getting our Defending Pokémon definition locked down, and Team Compendium will have an update on that as soon as we get our communication translated, sent, returned and translated back from Creatures in Japan.

Back