Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Interesting Ruling at Cities

FunnyBear

In top cut, Player A counts his deck from the top down, reversing the order of the cards. His stated intent was to play a Colres next and he was counting to assure himself he would not deck out. The judge ruled it a shuffle without the use of a card effect and issued a prize card penalty.

Now, the gameplay error was completely reversible as the cards could just be recounted from the top down restoring the original order. Further, the subsequent Colres would make the whole point moot.

Is the prize card penalty appropriate given there was no damage to the gamestate? Could you consider this a minor error or is shuffling without the use of a card effect always major and the single prize penalty was at the low end of the penalty due to the lack of consequences to the gamestate? Interesting, though not relevant, the 12 year old opponent declined to take the prize card, feeling it was a bad ruling.

I can't fault the judge for this one. The player did shuffle the deck without an effect, and the subsequent Colress is a moot point itself in my opinion, since the player hadn't even decided to play it at this point. The judge followed the penalty guidelines; this case seems to me to be close enough to the given examples that this is definitely justifiable.

However, I would still disagree with it. I would have deviated from the guidelines and reduced the penalty. The mistake is not only reversible, if the player hadn't been stopped it would've self-reversed - the player would've put the cards back in the right order. A Warning would've been appropriate, along with an escalation if it happened again, because it's still definitely a mistake.

Prize Loss for first offense in not according to Penalty Guidelines even if judged as major: Cities are a Tier 1 tournament where the recommended starting penalty is Warning for Major GPE.

Next, I would disagree with assessing this as Major and the right term was already named in OP: "reversible".
Description of Minor:
These errors have very little effect on game-play and can usually be fixed with little effor.

Description of Major:
When game state has become irreversibly confused due to game-play errors, is it appropriate etc.

From the case description, it sounds as it was perfectly reversible, and if so, it cannot be major (the examples are exactly that: possible examples).

Age should also be considered. You say the opponent was 12, so this is Seniors.

Age should also be considered. You say the opponent was 12, so this is Seniors.

Just want to add on, experience should also be considered. Juniors and Seniors are people to, some don't know anything which warrants deescalation by one step. Experienced Juniors/Seniors should be treated like Experienced Masters.

Just want to add on, experience should also be considered. Juniors and Seniors are people to, some don't know anything which warrants deescalation by one step. Experienced Juniors/Seniors should be treated like Experienced Masters.

Agreed .

Back