Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Wally ban justified?

Should Wally be banned or errata'd

• Total voters

necronzero

Hello everyone,

I've been playing the game since it's very early years, but have never been an active online community member until today at the prompting of one of my professor friends who I was discussing rulings with. There are several rulings I personally disagree with, but for the sack of keeping things simple I will just talk about one here.

The "ruling" I am curious about what other people think of is, banning Wally entirely from the expanded format. As far as I am aware, the "problem" with Wally as it is, is that Trevenant can effectively lock an opponent out of items before they ever get a chance to play any, if the Trev player goes first, which I agree is something that shouldn't be possible, and in a sense am happy that the abuse is being dealt with, I just disagree with how it is.

My friends and I were discussing how best to deal with the problem, in the absence of straight up banning Wally. The reason I feel like a total ban of Wally isn't the right path to achieve the goal of removing Trevenant's or anyone "lock" pokemon (Alolan Muk, etc) whose ability to lock an opponent on the first turn of a game is because of the fact that banning a card removes the possibility of any player from using it entirely, rather than just the one/few card(s) that is/are abusing it to cause a problem.

I would like to posit the a better way of addressing the problem without overreaching and affecting every other player would be an errata of the card instead of a complete ban, after all cards like Pokemon Catcher were errata'd and not banned. I have two ideas so far on errata's and would like to have a discussion on whether or not these seem feasible and if they would indeed create a similar impact of prevent the problem posed by T1 locks based on theorycrafting.

The first idea, and simplest idea, for an errata that my friends and I came up with during our discussion at dinner was to errata Wally so that it couldn't be used on the first turn of the game. This seems at face value to address the problem of Trevenant locking a player out of items on the first turn of the game, and seemingly doesn't affect anything else. I feel as though this errata is simple, addresses the problem, and still leaves the card playable by anything not lock-based.

The second idea we came up with is a bit more convoluted, and ultimately less likely to happen due to the nature of it being confusing much harder to remember as being an errata. Let me explain...

One of the people in the discussion thought that the previously mentioned possible errata defeated the purpose of playing the card, which I disagree with, but I digress, this second errata possibility is the one he liked better and in a way I can definitely understand why, but I think it's not as feasible. So here's the second errata...
The errata would be that Wally could still be played on T1, but your pokemon's abilities would be turned off during your opponent's next turn. This would still give your opponent one turn of items, or whatever before the lock takes effect, which would address the problem of a T1 lock and your opponent never being able to play a portion of their deck. The reason I think this errata isn't as feasible or a good solution is the complexity. If you imagined having to add all that text to the card it would look like a brick wall, whereas adding the previous errata to the card would be much less text.

Anyways, I'm sure there are things I am not considering so please let me know if you think there is something I am not considering, but I want this game to be diverse and interesting, and in pursuit of that goal I believe that outright banning a card just because a very few select cards can abuse them, when other cards can still use them to interesting or fun effect isn't the right move.

The second one could never happen. It introduces an new effect of shutting off Abilites for that turn, and Pokemon would never errata a card to give it a new effect.
The first one of saying that it can't work on the first turn of the game makes a lot of sense and, if Pokemon wanted to do it, they certainly could.
Of course, Seattle can't do something like that on their own. They would have to get Japan to agree to make that change as well.
I don't know the internal discussions related to this card, but that is a pretty hard thing to accomplish.
They do, however, have the power to control their own formats outside of Japan through set rotations and specific card bannings, so it just might be a matter of what they can do vs what they would prefer to do

Thanks for the response PokePop,

I'm more interested in the principle behind the decision to straight out ban Wally and take it away from every player just because one card abused it to great effect, I feel like this is an extreme overreach and overall is a very bad idea for the overall health and balance of the game. They've done far less to far more powerful cards in the past, i.e. Pokemon Catcher. Catcher was literally a Lysandre on an item, but then became a coin-flip based card because of a rule/card-text change, and I feel like a similar solution could solve the Trevenant problem far more effectively than the ban to remove the problem while not affecting everyone else in the process.

So, I am curious as to what you think the right play is? Is the right move what they did, aka banning the card altogether? Or should we as a community "make a fuss" when we think they make a bad decision, so they hopefully "make" a better one, even if it takes time?

Again, this isn't so much of a discussion of what happened, so much as why it did happen, when there was, what I believe I was, a much better option available.
Anyways, I hope to continue this discussion, because I feel like there is something to be learned from having it.

Also, who should I talk to, that actually has the authority to make a change to the rules, for the purposes of proposing an argument to augment the ruling that has been made?

I don't disagree with your points.
I have no inside information on this, so I don't know what went into the decision.
I do agree that errata'ing Wally to make it not work on the first turn is a good solution, but I have no idea how hard that would be to accomplish.
Changes have been made before based on community feedback, but like I said, this would involve Japan also making the change, and that's not at all the same thing as getting Seattle to do something they have direct control over.

Would you mind discussing real quick on how to best get those things in motion? I think that's it's worth doing and will gladly take the lead if that will make the game I love so much get better.

Not really as I don't see that they would want to do it for something that is no longer in Standard format and they have already "taken care" of it by banning it.

I would like to offer another perspective.

A good Ban List needs to promote game balance. While it does this, it should think ahead yet be as small as it can be. Most Evolutions are designed with the idea that they require Evolving from their lower Stages and that Evolving requires those lower Stages be in play prior to the beginning of the current turn.

When a Pokémon has a very restricted form of Evolution acceleration available to it, it can be manageable; the method can take past instances of that Pokémon into account while future versions are designed knowing about the Evolution acceleration. Technically, the same is true with general Evolution acceleration however we are now dealing with all Evolutions. Simply put, Wally is a problem waiting to happen; as long as it remains in the cardpool, all future Evolutions must be pre-nerfed to take into account how they can hit the field on a player's first turn.

Yes, we could simply ban all "problem" Evolutions as they are released, but that goes against keeping the Ban List as small as possible. Which isn't to say the powers-that-be are totally averse to such a thing, especially when interacting with the new card results in an older one causing balance problems. As demonstrated with Forest of Giant Plants and (arguably) Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick, the older card is the one that will get the boot... until the root cause generates enough other problem decks.

Back