Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Power Plant (Aquapolis 139/147) versus Power Plant (SM - Unbroken Bonds 183/214)

Otaku

Recently, Power Plant (SM - Unbroken Bonds 183/214) released, with a rather different effect than the original Power Plant Stadium that released all the way back in Aquapolis 139/147). This has led to some questions that, while more academic than practical, seem like they may be useful for explaining other cards as well.

Normally, when an older card has significantly different wording than the latest version, the latest version is the only one that is legal, correct? If an erratum is issued for the older ones to bring them inline with the current version, only then may you use the older versions (but functioning exactly as the current version). This is true even in cases where the effect is radically different. If not, please correct me.

I neither speak nor write Japanese... but I can poke around the internet to look for a card's name as it appears on the Japanese cards, which are almost always the original, intended versions of what we eventually get elsewhere around the world. Seems the counterpart to what we received in Aquapolis is

無人変電所

While the counterpart to what we received in SM - Unbroken Bonds is

無人発電所

Though almost the same, the center kanji is different in each. Which leads to my actual question:

Are they officially the same card? If so, is it because the English names are the same, or because the Japanese names are actually the same even though that one Kanji is different? I mean, we've had that happen over here with card's like Prof. Oak's Research and Professor Oak's Research.

Thank you!

This question is a little beyond our scope.
However, in either event, whether they are supposed to have the same names or not, you wouldn't be able to use the older card in either Expanded or Standard (due to either a different name or a different effect), it's a moot point.
If it made a difference to current formats, we could make an inquiry, but there's not much point to it.

Back