Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Getting into the Game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol at my league im established, and I don't even play.. just becuase the Yugioh locals are at the same time as the league. But yeh, Bling isn't important till my card pool is established if thats what you meant.

lol "holo-ize" I'll probably pick one up in the upcomming weeks. thanks peepz. Its Feraligatr a viable deck in the upcomming format?
The whole format is wide open right now. There's no reason why you couldn't make a good deck with a Feraligatr swarm, Jolteon*, and a card called Plus Power. You'd have to watch for weakness, but it certainly is viable. Of course it all depends upon your supporting cards.

I realy need to get a hold of deck construction like "Dos, and don'ts" and a hold on cards that are "staples" ect...realy need to like, have an AIM convo or something lol.

Trainer Spencer- I'm on MSN if you've got that!

I'll do a quick do's and don'ts list!

Do's-
Be consistent!- Run enough copies of the cards you need (particularly cards you will need to set up such as Holons Mentor to grab basics) to ensure you get a good start/draw into what you want throughout the game. For example- many decks this season have run 4 holon transceiver (which grabs "Holons" supporter trainer cards) and 3/4 Holon mentor to grab basic pokemon. Thats effectively 7/8 cards that grab basics, so you should start with either mentor, or transceiver to grab mentor!

Have deck focus!- Your deck should have a clear FOCUS- every card should have a role, nothing in it should be in there cos "it might come in useful, in the odd game against person x" (that example links to CONSISTENCY). If you DO play the odd 1 card- for example, a big basic pokemon with a beefy attack, or a tool, it should be chosen carefully, and have a purpose. Often, these cards are called "Tech".

Have Definition!- Your deck should have DEFINED ROLES (who's your main attacker? who's your best starting basic? who's your best support pokemon and when is best to get him out?) and DEFINED STRATEGY (you should know what your deck aims to do every single time- if i start with X basic, I know i have to do X. If i'm against an X deck, i should do X)

Play around!- try out different things! Maybe a combination of pokemon powers that you think might work? Although you might go with an established deck for a tournament, theres nothing wrong with a bit of creativity for practicing with!

--->The don'ts would obviously be opposites of the above-

DON'T be inconsistent.
DON'T throw in cards for the heck of it.
DON'T throw a deck together with no idea what it's going to do in battle.

Other Don'ts-
DON'T ignore advice! Take it all on board, even if you don't agree with it- you might end up changing your mind/finding some great new ways to tweak your deck!
DON'T play with cards you don't understand yet! When I started out, someone lent me a deck to play at a tournament. I had no idea what anything did and bombed, not to mention annoying my opponents with slow play! :frown:

A final word of advice- DOOOOO read the articles that come up on the gym! They're very informative!!!!!! Always good to have a look in the deck help section as well- people post decks, other people try to fix them/discuss the best plays for the deck--> YOU LEARN WHAT WORKS :biggrin:

Hope thats helped!

Edit: theres probably already something like what I've posted above, but I hope that's helped anyway.............

It's a little generalized and outdated, but it's pretty sound advice, good enough to work with for a beginner.

lol I'm definitely able to handle more complex stuff, imo YGO is much more complex than pokemon so if anyone has anything more indepth don't pull any punches haha. I apreciate everything =)

Well that would get into metagaming and different deck strategies and stuff, it's not so much complicated as we don't know much about the metagame other than a few sparse deck ideas for the rotation.

lol I'm definitely able to handle more complex stuff, imo YGO is much more complex than pokemon so if anyone has anything more indepth don't pull any punches haha. I apreciate everything =)

If by more complex you mean 3/4 of the deck is already predetermined, then yes.

Hahaha. XD I played Yugioh for about a year and I stopped because it was too easy lol.

Anyway, welcome back to the world of pokemon and gl. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back