Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

øptions.dec: An introductory look at Absol Prime - Reply, please. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Politoed666

Hey guys! Figured I'd do something I haven't done in awhile and post one of my personal lists for consideration and suggestion. After having played a lot of theorymon games with it and exactly zero actual ones, I want to see how the 'Gym thinks this thing would play out at a cities. So, without further ado, I present...

øptions.dec
decklist
4x Absol Prime
2x Umbreon UD
2x Eevee UD (Call for Family)
4x Sableye Sf
2x Uxie LA
2x Unown R
1x Unown Q
1x Chatot MD
1x Mew Prime
1x Lucario GL
1x Crobat G
1x Unown UD (Dark)
22x Pokémon

4x Pokémon Collector
3x Bebe's Search
2x Seeker
2x Professor Oak's New Theory
2x Twins
1x Palmer's Contribution
2x Pokémon Communication
1x Luxury Ball
2x Expert Belt
4x Poké Drawer +
2x Junk Arm
25x Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums

4x Call Energy
4x Special Dark Energy
5x Basic Dark Energy
13x Energy

strategy
Although I've just tested this in theorymon matchups, the deck seems to do well against most of today's archetypes for a variety of reasons. Of course, the biggest contenders are LuxChomp, VileGar, Sablelock, Chenlock, and a few others. The deck is made primarily to beat the VileGar matchup, which a lot of the rest of the format has trouble with, while still having okay to good matchups against the other archetypes. The biggest strength of this deck would have to be its speed.

First off, the deck has a fantastic donking option with Sableye, and Unown Dark makes this even easier to do. I'd say the deck can probably win around 15% of its matches by donking, but perhaps that's overly optimistic what with all the SP builds running around. At the very least, it's often easy to take a prize on the first turn, and if that's not possible, Sableye or Call Energy provide fantastic ways to set up extremely quickly. Maxing Collector doesn't hurt either. The deck can almost invariably have an Absol powered up by turn 2, and hitting for at least 80 per turn. Scizor/Cherrim was never an especially bad deck, and that did 80 T2, couldn't utilize powers, and needed to evolve. Absol Prime is searchable by Collector, can easily do 90 T2, and, most importantly, the deck's speed and power are increased tremendously by the allowance of powers.

It's probably clear by this point that Absol Prime is the deck's main attacker. His Eye of Disaster Poké-Power is nothing to sneeze at, either, especially when he's active T2 against SP builds. This power alone puts most SP attackers within OHKO range for a slightly boosted Vicious Claw, when they can OHKO back only with Garchomp C Lv.X or a massively charged Dialga G Lv.X. Of course, there are exceptions, such as Crobat G drops and Expert Belt, but overall I think Absol simply eats many SP attackers. The fact that it doesn't need to level up doesn't really hurt the deck either. Umbreon UD is another main part of the deck, of course. It should be pretty clear why... when people are asking for anti-Umbreon techs, it's often a good idea to throw it in a deck. Now, Absol by itself pretty much has the VileGar matchup in the back (especially with Lucario GL in the mix), but Umbreon UD can really smack down on most of the rest of the metagame as well. Very little OHKOs it, while it can put almost everything within OHKO range of Absol, for just one Dark energy.

Now, although Absol Prime, Umbreon UD, and Sableye are probably the most important components of the deck, øptions has a variety of x1 cards and techs, which absolutely deserve mention.

techs
• Chatot - It's my firm belief that any deck that has room for Chatot should run it. øptions generally has decent spare bench space, and having a free retreating hand refresher is always a positive thing. Since speed is the deck's specialty, Chatter-locking the opponent generally isn't a winning strategy, but it can be done. All in all, Chatot is a good drawing card that is searchable by everything and can rectify a bad start. No reason not to play it.

• Mew Prime - Mew Prime fits perfectly with Absol, and another deck I'm thinking of trying out is Absol Prime/Mew Prime/Tyranitar Prime, but that's another story altogether. Basically, you can Lost Zone stuff like Absol Prime, Umbreon, or Sableye with Vicious Claw, then use attacks with Mew. It's one of the most useless cards in the deck ATM... I like the thought, but I'm considering taking it out. Your opinions?

• Lucario GL - Eh. Gives Absol a guaranteed OHKO on Gengar. Lets Uxie hit for double weakness on certain things. Again, not a super useful card. Considering scrapping it.

• Unown Dark - As previously mentioned, Dark allows øptions to grab an energy to guarantee the donk with Sableye. It can also be very useful in getting that one Special Dark you need for a KO with Absol, and can be reused when combo'd with Seeker. Oh, and it's searchable by Collector. :x

• Twins - Not really a tech, but it's used here because the deck often relies on a Sableye start which will occasionally be KO'd T1 or, in a pinch, T2. A pretty good resource, IMO.

thanks
So yeah, everyone. Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your opinions on the deck, potential matchups, better techs than what I have, etc. etc.. I will say right now that, what with the main attacker being a basic and all, the deck has absolutely no problems with consistency. I made sure of that. Try it out, it's lots of fun once you get the hang of what to grab with the search cards. Once again, thanks for reading.

Poli out.

I think it would be funny in some cases to Lost Zone a Machamp with Absol and then use Take Out with Mew to get a few KOs against SP decks. With Twins and Pokedrawers in the deck, it doesn't look too hard to get the Machamp and an Energy for Mew to use.

To get one KO against an SP deck. Then they Flash Impact you or something.

If you had more room, a Luxray tech would be kind of fun in here, dragging stuff up so you can selectively KO whatever you want, especially with the above Machamp idea. Even if it's only one KO, suddenly knocking out a Garchomp is pretty bad.

Looks good, but there's one thing I saw that stood out.

...This power alone puts most SP attackers within OHKO range for a slightly boosted Vicious Claw, when they can OHKO back only with Garchomp C Lv.X or a massively charged Dialga G Lv.X.
You fail to keep in mind that most SP decks tend to run Promo Toxicroak G as a tech against LuxChomp. Since Absol shares the same weakness, you need to be really careful to play around the Promocroak, as you set yourself up to be OHKO'd every prize you take. And, unlike SP decks, it (theoretically) takes two turns to get a revenge kill, while they only need one to Leap Away, replay and do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back