1 retreat per turn?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by afstandopleren, Mar 17, 2008.

1. afstandopleren

afstandopleren New Member

Okay, I have been playing in a league and I have never heard of this before:

I was playing with my Darkrai deck against the league owner and she said that you can't retreat more than 1 time per turn, while Trainers like Switch are allowed to be used to retreat pokemon. I have NEVER in all those years that I have played the game heard of such a strange rule.

I think she thought it up because she flipped 2 of her pokemon KO due to Endless Darkness.....:rolleyes:

But still, I am curious; Is it really an existing rule?

2. Blaziken 1111

Blaziken 1111 Active Member

Yea you can only retreat once per turn. I didn't know this rule also and I learned it the hard way in a tornoment when I could of won a game if I just could of retreated a second time but I couldnt and it costed me the game which because of that I ended up getting 9th place in the top 8. But yea the rule exists.

3. afstandopleren

Good to know but I still think it's a bit weird.
    If it is a rule, then why does almost no one seem to know about it and why does the rule not show up in those rulebooks that come with a starterdeck?

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

It's in the rule books.
    Question is, though, how old are your rule books!
    The rule was changed when Ruby Sapphire came out 4 years ago.
    If you have rule books older than that, you have some seriously out of date rule books.
    Many rules have changed in the last 4 years.
    Diamond & Pearl and newer sets have the most current rules in their rule books.

5. nekorion

nekorion New Member

it does show up in those rule books. It's on page seven in my rule book I got with my dialga deck. It's even on the placemat those decks give you as well.

I think its only a lesser known rule because special conditions tend to be rare, and free retreats are rarer, which is the only time youd actively would retreat that often.

6. I'm pretty sure everyone who plays competitively knows this rule.

7. afstandopleren

I have only played in 3 tournaments so ofcourse I am surprised.
    And about the rulebook, I have looked over it. It is indeed in the book and on the mat.
    But did I just read that if a pokemon has free retreat cost, you can retreat more than once?

8. Chromecatz

Chromecatz New Member

lol no, you can only retreat once during your turn.

9. afstandopleren

Thank you all for the help.
    I learned something new, I am surprised.