Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2007-09-09 Electivire Lv. X - MT 121/123

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokePop

Administrator
Staff member
displayimage.php

Electivire Lv X is a shockingly good LV X card (pun intended). It brings with it a very useful Poke-Body that punishes the opponent for attaching energies (though obviously he must be active to use it). Pulse Barrier is also a great attack, negating any effects and damage done to Electivire LV X during your opponent's next turn providing you can discard a Tool or Stadium they have in play (both of which are common).

Modified - 7/10 (The Poke-Body is nice as well as the attack, but still he's only going to be used as one copy for most Electivire decks)

Unlimited - 1/10 (No real reason to play him here)

Limited - 0/10 to 5/10 (Last I looked, the MT set didn't have any Electabuzz, making him a dead draw here. But if you're drafting other sets that contain an Electabuzz and Electivire, go ahead and drop him in but he's still hard to get into play).

2nd....again(I WANTED TO BE FIRTS!!)...*evil look at Regis Neo*
Electivire lv.X is a great card.
Its poke-body makes your opponent think twice before he/she attach any energy. His attack makes him think twice before your opponent plays any stadiums/tools. He can also use the power of electivire(DP) and also his attacks which allows him to OHKO a lot of pokemon. with the help of his body he can OHKO all pokemon. His x2 weak to fightning hurts him badly against mario, luckily his attack can make him invincible. His resistance could be useful too.
Having 3 retreat cost is bad. so play switch with him.
His (L) type is great because empoleon, octillery have his weakness.

Modified(8/10) His type is good inj this format(his weakness can hurt him). If you have an electivire deck you MUST play one of these. His body will hurt flygon(d) and altaria ex BADLY.(also all pokemon that let you attach extra energy from your hand via a power or attack)

Limited(0/10)...NO COMMENT...no electabuzz, electivire in this MT.

Electivire is a great card by iteself that it doesnt need windstorm to support Electivire. His pokebody's awesome by placing 2 damage counters on your opponents pokemon that tries to attach an energy card. This card can go well with any card that spreads damage counters like crazy. By using his Pulse Barrier, you can use this card as if it were a windstorm and the new age Ampharos EX, thanks to its Pokebody. His retreat cost is pretty bad, but you got switch or warp point to take care of that problem. Resistance is always a good thing but there arent many metal type pokemon out there at the moment.

Modified- This card is pretty amazing but watch out for Mario as Lucario or Machamp can cripple that deck to pieces. I like the fact that Empoleon and Feraligatr are both weak to Electric, which makes Electivire a more playable card. 7/10

Unlimited- Energy Removals, Hand makers, anything weak to fighting will give this deck a tough time. Also its slow on top of that. 1/10

Limited- LOL you cant use this card because neither elekid or electabuzz are in this set. 0/10

Modified: 6/10
Personally, I'm not a fan of this card, the instant Agility will rarely happen against a smart player. If you're playing Electivire (which isn't a very good deck anyway...), I wouldn't lay a Tool or Stadium at all. So, 50 for LC isn't that great. The body is surprising ineffective. I hear everyone saying that it helps kill 130 HP stuff, but what 130 HP stuff isn't OHKO'd due to weakness anyway? Garchomp is the only one of the top of my head. You'd probably throw a copy into an Electivire deck, but personally, I would never PLAY Electivire, let alone add the Level X. Just my opion on the card.

Limited: 1/10
Congrats, you pulled $25, enough to pay off entering this worthless event.

Unlimited: 1/10
Not many modified things are good in unlimited, when you can do infinite damage with Suicune ex or block trainers with Vileplume ex on T1, a Level X really sounds like ****

Electivire LV.X is pretty good but not something you base a strategy around. I don't think the body is even that good in comparison to the HP boost or attack. If you're playing against something non-fighting the HP boost is really helpful and it makes them think about playing that cessation crystal.

Side-note: Electivire/Flygon is NOT the best way to play it!

Modified: 6/10
It's nice to drop for a free windstorm, although they might just predict that and have a warp point. The HP boost and body are still nice. It's a good card that can sway the game, but not totally game-breaking either.

Limited: 0/10
No pre-evos, :(

Electivire Lvl. X is a very solid card. It isn't something that is going to be the cornerstone for a tier 1 deck or the type of thing you will build your strategy around, but can be a very nice compliment and be the difference in winning you some games.

The 120 HP, a +20 HP boost from the regular Electivire, is nice, but nothing too special. While it's body seems really great, the fact that you are going to be playing a max of 2 of these in a deck, and the rules in general that apply to getting a level X on the field that make it hard to swarm, makes it mediocre at best. With it most likely only being active for 2-3 turns as well, your opponent can play around it as well pretty easily.

Its attack can be very good when used properly. While Electivire's Giga Impact will be the attack you use mostly, you are going to be relying on his power Intense Voltage quite regularly to get it powered up quickly. Cessation Crystal, one of the top 3 trainer cards in the format right now, could otherwise cripple you without Pulse Barrier since Windstorms will not be as easy to draw into now. Not only do you get rid of all Cessation Crystals and other tools on the field along with their stadiums, it adds that nice effect of not being affected by your opponents attacks next turn (in most cases).

The weakness is a killer. Not only are you weak to fighting, which is becoming one of the strongest types in this format with Lucario, Rampardos and other fighting types running around, but it is double weak. This means that for simply 2 energy a Lucario does 80 damage to you, and a Rampardos has the ability to knock you out depending on your current HP. The resistance is pretty negligible, with Nidoqueen d being the only metal type I've seen used much so far in this format. A retreat of 3 is obviously very high, and with the number of energy Electivire's Giga Impact is already going to be discarding, makes it very tough to retreat this thing.

So what kind of combos can you use with Electivire Lvl X? Well, first you can give yourself a good draw engine by using Elekid and Electabuzz d to sit on your bench before evolving, and eventually leveling up. I personally think the new Raichu from Mysterious Treasures is a great play with this card. Many people have also been trying it out, with varied amounts of success, with Flygon d, which uses it's Delta Supply power to put lightning energy on Flygon itself, then use Intense Voltage to move it to Electivire. I personally think anything that is a great damage spreader, such as Prinplup or Empoleon, can help out as well by putting damage on the pokemon you believe they want energy on, thus using Shocking Tail to its fullest.

MODIFIED RATING: 6/10

120 HP is good solid, it's poke-body is solid, retreat cost and weakness kill it, but its attack, while situational, can be slightly above average, so I give it a slightly above average score. If Lucario and Rampardos weren't around, I would bump this up close to a 7.

UNLIMITED RATING: 1/10

While base set Electabuzz sees some play here, Electivire and Electivire Lvl X are terrible.

LIMITED RATING: N/A to 4/10

If you draft just Mysterious Treasures, it is a dead card. But if you draft something else that has it's pre-evolutions, this can be a decent card. 2 for 50 is wonderful in limited, but being a lvl X it functions like a stage 2, which are almost impossible to get out in limited.

Electivire Lvl X is a nice card, but very difficult to pull.
You can only play 1 or 2 of it, which makes it hard to be you main attacker.

All Lvl X have the same "problem" you can only level up when the "normal" stage is 1 turn in play and is active. These restrictions make all Lvl X pokemon to be difficult to use.

However if you get this Lvl X active it's a very great card. The body is nasty because everybody needs to attach nrg to attack. So if there is no Cessation Crystal in play everybody will feel the pain of this body.
The attack is very good if your opponent has a Tool or Stadium in play, you will deal 50 damage and are protected next turn. If you opponent doesn't have Tool or Stadium in play you might want to use the normal Electivire attack which deals 120 damage for 4 nrg.
The weakness is bad, double for fighting.

Flygon d combined with Electivire looks like the best option at this moment, but you will depend very much on the use of Powers. At this moment it's a playable card but not super.

Modified 7/10
Unlimited 1/10

Electivire Lv. X has a nice Body, and a nice attack. Though it may be a good card, it suffers from the fact that Lv. X's and normal Pokemon are exactly the same in terms on how many you can use in a deck, so that kills any strategy anyone has to run 4 Electivire and 4 Electivire Lv. X. Using the normal Electivire's power may be useful to get the energy onto the Lv. X, but you have to hope that your opponent doesn't use Warp Point, part of Pulse Barrier's effect will become useless. If your opponent has a Cessation Crystal, or any other tool attached, Pulse Barrier's a great way way to get rid of them without using Windstorm. 120 HP to boost up the normal Electivire is nice though. Here are my ratings:

Modified: 6.5/10 - It has a lot of potential, but since it's a Lv. X, you're going to suffer using 1 or 2 in a deck with 2 Electivire (or 3 if you're using 1).
Limited: 0/10 - You can't use it at all, so what's the point?
Unlimited: 1/10 - Ampharos ex and Dark Ampharos are around. Besides, why use this in unlimited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back