Status
Not open for further replies.

PokePop

Administrator
Staff member
displayimage.php

woot first!!!

alakazam is a great card

i run that with delcatty lin e 4-3(draw)-2(ex) flygon ex (pk) 3-2-3 then 3-0-4 kazam line

ditch energy with power cancel and the flygons power and delcatty draw...

Alakazam isnt a good card itself but this is one of those cards that can be put as a 1-1 tech. Also he can also be a good replace for Cessation Crystal (If your not a big fan of that card of course). His Hit Points are low, and his pokemon power is expensive just by discarding 2 cards in your hand to negate a pokemon power. If he did negate all pokemon powers, then he would be a much better card. Psychic Guards no big deal, an attack for 50 is nothing when there are other cards that deal more damage out. I guess reducing the attack from a stage 2 pokemon by 30 isnt so bad, but still 50 damage is low. His retreat cost isnt so bad for one energy and there arent many psychic pokemon out there so his weakness is pretty good as of right now.

Modified- Cessation Crystal outclasses alakazam, but can still be a good tech to play with in the near future. 4/10

Unlimited- Many cards can cancel pokemon powers like magby, goop gas attack, muk jungle, medicham ex, cessation crystal, pidgeot D. There are many cards that are better than alakazam. 1/10

Limited- Not many cards in this set have pokemon powers and there arent any that are usful in that environment. 1/10

Finally, this is the first Alakazam card since what, Expedition?

Anyways, Alakazam MT is a decent card with a very unique Poke-Power: If your opponent tries to use a Poke-Power of their own, you can use Alakazam's and discard 2 cards from your hand to negate theirs once per turn. This can be very crippling for many decks who rely on their Poke-Powers to function. Alas though, Alakazam is weighed down by several strikes against it: Limited ways to get it in play (only Rare Candy and Abra's one attack since some idiot ruined Kadabra for us), Poor HP for a Stage 2, and an overpriced attack (though ideally you won't be using it for attacking). Best used as a 1-1, maybe 2-2 tech at best.

Modified - 5/10 (like I said, only really useful as a tech, it's not going to be the center of a deck)
Limited - 8/10 (Abra can evolve into it for immediate benefits and it has good HP in this metagame)
Unlimited - 1/10 (Ever hear the old joke of Base Gastly being better? This applies here as well)

Actually Alakazam has not not been seen since Skyridge.

Alakazam's specialty had been either moving damage counters or energy cards, but with this new-age Alakazam, he can cancel poke-powers with his own, an extremely deadly thing in this power reliant format.

However, overall, this card lacks the power house abilities of other cards. Furthermore, the cost of 2 cards to nullify abilities is expensive and is if used heavily will cost you more than it does your opponent. Therefore, in a deck it should not be the main pokemon but the support, to disable the opponent while you attack with a stronger card.

Such an interesting PokePOWER, but at a high cost: discard 2 cards ugh.

Because we don't have a Kadabra in the format you either have to candy it or use Abra's {P}{C} Ultra Evolution attack. A two energy cost attack on a 50HP basic is unlikely to see much play in any of the constructed formats. The result would be an Alakazam with little remaining HP, after your opponents turn.

Alakazam is looking like a bench warmer at best, which is a shame. You'd think that with such a high IQ it would be a little bit more usefull.

Limited: 9/10. lots of potential as its effectively a big accessible stage 1.

Constructed : Oh dear 4/10. Tech only and uninspiring tech at that.

Last edited:
Ya WHAT a card Alakazam tech is really neat-o, if you can sling a couple cards that 1-0-1 line can shut off an important power at a crucial moment, keeping it up is hard and ya its costly for only shutting off ONE power but this is something unique to the format and I'm glad it exists, a format with lots of intetesting options like this is a healthy one. USeful card, not game breaking by itself but indeed useful

Modified: 6.772/10
Limited: Dunn don't care
Unlimited: Dunno don't care

His power can be useful, but not against a deck that has aq lot of powers like Electivire, where a lot of powers are being used. Delcatty works well with him since it lets you draw cards so you can use his power.
His attack isn't so Great. 100HP is bad for a stage 2 pokemon.
Not a lot of pscychic are being played in this format so far so his weakness isn't so bad..

Modified(5/10). There are cards better than him. I wouldn't play him in a deck.
Limited(7/10) he is good because you evolve him with abra's power. his attack isn't great.

Lol, Magneton, problem solved.

Only combo i see, is in a deck where there's already Magneon in, or something like Delcatty.

4/10 Modified.

Personally, I think he sounds neat but I don't like the addition of this PokePower to the game. One thing that I really like about Pokemon TCG is the structure of play and that on a player's turn it is his/her turn only. What s/he can play may have been limited by the opponent's play - Cessation Crystal, Safeguard, etc. - but all the affects are static from the beginning of the turn. Introducing the ability for an opponent to interrupt and change the play out-of-turn (ala MtG) disappoints me.

This card is fun and will see some play just because of the new mechanic with his power. The consistency in finding Alakazam with Abra's attack is the real prop. Personally I feel.

Modified-5/10 Cess. Crystal is better but I agree with the others 1-0-1 or even 2-0-2 tech will work in many decks so start playtesting!

Limited-8.5/10 If you pull the line in a prerelease/draft there is no reason to not play it. Any ability to search is HUGE here. Great to have early to stop any powers that might get your opponent up and running. Good late-game if they manage to get a Stage 2 up which usually would win the game in a draft but the -30 damage+effect really stops most of the threats.

Unlimited-1.5/10 Most new cards just don't perform well in limited because they just don't make broke cards as often as they used to. Fossil Muk is a much better play but I'll say 1.5 simply because you can search for Alakazam with Abra's attack;if you live more then one turn to try. ;]

-spaz

Alakazam's line is pretty decent. Abra is a great basic to start with, allowing the player to pull out a wishing star attack. Its 2nd attack is great for getting the 'zam up, but having him active is usually not a great idea. As for his stage 1...well, he is lacking in that catigory. Big time. This forces you to be incapiable of making a deck around him. So he would be a tech card only. Comparing it to other possible tech lines in the format, shiftry ex is very similar to this card, but it gives the opponet an option on using powers (which they will usually do with delcatty or magneton, unless you can attack with him). Unto why you would play the card. His power is a very unique one and gives you an option to stop an opponets pokepower on the opponets turn. The price is a pretty hefty one for such a great ablity in the form of losing 2 cards from your hand. This isn't a big deal with cards are not doing anything in your hand (an extra part of a line, windstorms, ect.) but can be really difficult when you need such cards or you have a low hand size. Of course, this could also be a plus and allow you to play a steven's advice next turn. His attack is below average in terms of damage but has a pretty decent affect of gaining a -30 resistance to all stage 2 pokemon. This, however, will not be enough to help its very low 100 hp and it will probly get koed in 2 attacks anyways. His weakness is the standard +30 for a stage 2 and his retreat cost is relatively low, at only 1.
Scores
Modified: 4/10-On paper, he's pretty good (for a tech line that is). But the cost of playing him is too high for most decks to handle. He will see play in a few decks, but its not that likely he'll become mainstream.
Limited: 9/10-Abra is a great starter, and having any pokemon with over 80 hp in limited is always a plus. The power won't be that helpful, but his attack could always come in handy.
Unlimited: 1/10-Unless you pull it out t1, it won't make a big difference. This format is a format that can support his power, but a simple GOW kills the psychic.

Is everyone here forgetting Alakazam * CG?

While this does have the good factor of not being a real Stage 2 (Abra goes straight into it). This isn't all that great, considering you have to use an attack to get there. 100HP is a bad amount for a stage 2 in the DP era, when there's stuff like Gatr or Garchy with 130.
The power isn'y that great, considering you get a better result with C.crystal. The attack isn't very energy efficient, and the effect is rather siuatuional.

Modified 4/10 Not it's time to shine yet, if it does get one
Limited: 8/10 This is actually quite good, as is can come straight from the deck into play and do some real damage.

This card would have been AMAZING last format, but I am not sure about this format. There seems to be many fast decks, or decks using Delcatty. Giving up cards to stop their draw isn't that great (I mean vs Delcatty). If setup decks become big again, this card may as well, but right now setup decks need to find a new engine to emerge again in the format.

Otaku's CotD (Alakazam LV.47)

Alakazam LV.47 is a Stage 2 Psychic Pokemon, but Abra LV.8 from Mysterious Treasures allows one to run it as if it were not only a Stage 1, but a self-searching Stage 1 line. Just make sure you either also have Rare Candy (the attack specifies deck, not hand) or something to shuffle Alakazam LV.47 back into the deck (neither is very daunting a task). This efficiency allows it to slip into many decks, though you will need to provide at least one-Psychic Energy to Evolve via the Ultra Evolution attack of Abra LV.8.

100 HP is about as small as one can safely run for a Stage 2 line, and even Stage 1 lines don't want to get any smaller so the short cut won't offset that score. Still, you should survive one-shot from many Pokemon, and the one's that can OHKO Alazakam LV.47 will probably be End Stage Evolutions with big attack costs, and not many Pokemon are safe from being OHKO'd by such monsters.

Moving onto the "bottom" stats, we see Psychic Weakness at the +30 level. Still better than the old double Weakness since it takes 70 damage for a Psychic Pokemon to score a OHKO as opposed to just 50. 70 damage isn't easy to do unless you're an End Stage Evolution and even then it tends to be costly or far from straightforward. I am annoyed as ever by a lack of Resistance: with the new variable Resistance, they could at least think about bringing it back to a more prominent position. The last of the bottom stats is a single Energy Retreat Cost. This is quite good, and can be eliminated entirely by Phoebe's Stadium.

Alakazam LV.47 seems to scream "bench-sitter". It has a potent PokePower in Power Cancel, and proper use of it can really devastate the opponent. It does require a two card discard to activate, but this is Pokemon, where draw power is abundant. There are cards that can combo with it exactly for that reason: think of all the draw cards that are better with a low hand-size, and hurting an opponent trying to gain advantage through prodigious Copycat usage. It may seem lame that it can only be used once, but that is plenty: even if you could use it multiple times in a turn, I doubt most players would: I said two cards a turn wasn't bad, but even in Pokemon four or more would be quite a challenge. Besides, this still messes up a multi-Power using Pokemon: which Power will one negate, or will it negate any? By not using the Power, you can force an opponent to second guess themselves. Cards with costs are especially fun to negate as it is not like a player gets a refund. At least if precedent is followed (both in this game and in TCGs as a whole). Remember this fun ruling?

Q. If I attempt to play a card that requires a discard cost (Computer Search, Item Finder, etc.) and the opponent has a Slowking, do I have to pay the cost *before* the check for Mind Games?
A. Yes. (Dec 12, 2002 WotC Chat, Q107)

Psychic Guard is a solid attack, but doesn't seem strong enough to base a deck around. For the Energy put into it, the return is decent: pay for 40 damage, do 50 and reduce any damage done by an opponent's Stage 2 Pokemon is cut by 30 on the next turn. Being attacked by a Stage 2 is reasonably common, so if you do attack with Alakazam LV.47, you will probably enjoy this benefit. Granted, it won't let you survive more than an extra hit against most strong attacking Stage 2 Pokemon.

Ratings

Unlimited:
1/10 - We have more efficient negation, better bench-sitters, and since it only works on Poke-Powers, so many cards that can't be affected.

Modified: 8/10 - As a supporting Pokemon worked into different decks, for the most part, though as a bench-sitting focus it could be worthwhile: something to get Energy back, and something else to attack (it wouldn't need to be too strong if Poke-Powers are crippled).

Limited: 9.5/10 - Probably the best Stage 2 in the set since you don't need a Stage 1 for it. The only downside is you might draw into Alakazam LV.47 and be unable to actually Evolve. As long as you run multiple copies of Abra LV.8 this shouldn't be a huge drawback. In this format, its weeny attack is still quite potent and when Power Cancel has a chance to be used, it will be devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back