2007-09-14 Dusk Ball- MT 110/123

Discussion in 'Card of the Day' started by PokePop, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

2. Jason

Jason New Member

Dusk Ball.

Same purpose as Master ball but other way.

Good for pokemon heavy deck
    Bad for T2 decks
    so yehh... I rate it 2/10 for Modified since it all based on luck *sigh*

3. homeofmew

homeofmew Active Member

Dusk Ball is the opposite of Master Ball as in you look at the Bottom 7 cards vs the top 7 cards of your deck and you choose any pokemon and put it in your hand. Pretty nice you can play 4 Master Ball, 4 Dusk Ball and 4 Quick Ball, 4 Poke Ball, 4 Dual ball, and a Supporter in the Same turn

Limited: 9/10: Can get pokemon out of your deck, any trainer like this in a draft is always nice to get.

Modified: 6/10 You can't always pull a pokemon, however in some Deck like T2 Kricketune it may be a good card to play.

Unlimited: 3/10: Theres really no reason to play this in unlimited, I would Play Quick Ball and Fast Ball.

4. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Dusk Ball can be pretty neat when used in combination with something that puts cards (in this case, hopefully an Evo or a Basic) to the bottom of your deck, then using Dusk Ball to draw it. Basically, it's Master Ball in reverse. Use accordingly.

Modified - 6/10 (Not too many reasons to it, but it can potentially weed out a Pokemon that's hiding out in the bottom)
    Limited - 10/10 (Take any Trainer you get, and this one has a much better chance of working in a 40 card deck as opposed to a 60 card deck)
    Unlimited - 1/10 (No reason to use this here)

5. Mew*

Mew* Active Member

Dusk Ball:

I really like Dusk Ball and Master Ball. Dusk Ball is powerful when you know there is a Pokemon on the bottom of you deck, like possibly after using Pokedex Handy910is. It is luck based, but it doesn't take a whole lot to find one of the Pokemon. It is great late game for cleaning out your deck of a card that you don't want to waste a turn drawing. I personally like it, but I prefer Master Ball because it looks cooler :p I play Master Ball in my Infercatty and it almost always works well, it gives the deck more speed, and Dusk Ball is VERY similar, so it's affect would be the same. The only time I'd play Dusk Ball is if it would be more beneficial to see the bottom cards because you placed one there, or if you think it looks cooler than Master Ball.

Dusk Ball: 6.5/10 (for modified of course)

6. Shellshock929

Shellshock929 <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Dusk Ball is a decent card, but it's overshadowed by many other cards, such as Quick Ball and Master Ball. It's cool that you get to look at the bottom cards of the deck this time around. I honestly wouldn't recommend this card to be used in competitive play because, Like Master Ball, you have to get lucky to find at least one Pokemon out of those 7 cards.

Modified: 6/10
    Limited: 9/10, because it's a trainer.
    Unlimited: 1/10

7. Flareon

Flareon New Member

There might be a few cases where Dusk Ball>/<Master Ball, but generally they are the same. Remember, even if they are at the bottom, the cards are still random (if you're not cheating, of course).

The only time I think I can see a difference (outside combos) is... I got nothing.

8. redostrike

redostrike New Member

Hmm, as said by many, dusk ball is a reverse masterball. I could be fun whit Celebi* :p but celebi star on it's own sucks so :p

9. Ultima

Ultima New Member

Dusk Ball. Yes, it's the reverse of master ball. Unfortunately, stuff like Delta Control has just left the format, meaning this isn't a whole lot better that master ball.

Modified. 5.5/10 The same as master ball, really
    Limited 10/10 Anything that searches your deck is worth its weight in gold here

10. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Basically you should just look at it as Master Ball.
    I don't really see much more use for it in this format than the last. T2 decks will benefit much more from Quick Ball. Setup decks may be able to use it, but probably more draw to get the many pokemon it needs will be more useful.

11. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Otaku's CotD (Dusk Ball)

Name: Dusk Ball
    Set: Mysterious Treasures
    Card#: 110/123
    Rarity: Uncommon
    Type: Trainer
    Sub-Type:
    Ball

Text: Look at the 7 cards from the bottom of your deck. Choose 1 Pokémon you find there, show it to your opponent, and put it into your hand. Put the remaining cards back on top of your deck. Shuffle your deck afterward.
    -----------------------------------------------------

“Ball Type” Trainers are a sub-type designation established by Apricorn Maker from Skyridge, and are Normal Trainers that specialize in searching your deck. Poké Ball (search your deck for a Pokémon on a successful coin flip) is the oldest (and probably weakest) of them, and other currently legal versions are Dual Ball (flip two coins, get a Basic Pokémon per head), Great Ball (searches for a non-Pokémon-ex Basic and Benches it), Master Ball (search the top 7 cards of your deck for a Pokémon), and Quick Ball (reveal the top cards of your deck until you hit a Pokemon, you get the Pokemon).

Dusk Ball is the counterpart to Master Ball: instead of searching the top 7 cards of your deck, it lets you search the bottom seven. Still limited to Pokémon, of course, and it combos a bit different: things like Celebi* from EX Crystal Guardians and the card you don't add to your hand from Pokedex Handy 910 (if it was a Pokémon) would easily and simply combo with Dusk Ball.
    There is one thing that is nicer about Dusk Ball than Master Ball: unless your deck has seven or less cards, you won't have that annoying "the next card was what I wanted" or "the next X cards, which I could have drawn with my Supporter, had it". Also good for the people who claim "my good Pokemon are always stuck at the bottom of my deck". Granted we almost always have a search card available to run (it isn't Yu-Gi-Oh, after all), but they guaranteed ones are Supporters and one's deck can only handle so many.

I think this card has great promise: we already have two cards left from the last format that can still combo with it (though neither are worth building an entire deck around). TPC seems to like working with the bottom of the deck now. Even ignoring such combos, Master Ball has long been a solid Normal Trainer to add to one's deck, and very speedy, low Supporter decks may indeed find running more than a combined four copies of Master Ball/Dusk Ball handy.

Ratings

Unlimited: 3/10 - Not bad, but oh-so-outclassed by the available card pool.

Modified: 7/10 - A very good card here. It isn't anywhere close to a staple (few things are now, much to my delight) but like Master Ball, it will now be one of the first things I turn to if I notice my deck is too Supporter heavy or just amazingly has room left.

Limited: 10/10 - Search power in Limited is almost always a must, though with me that is still only worth nine of the possible 10 points. The rest comes from not being a Supporter or Pokémon (obvious though that might be) and because your deck is much smaller in this format. Do the math: 40 cards total less your seven card opening hand, your four Prize cards, and initial draw means just 28 cards left in your deck if you use this card on your first turn (and you went second). Oh, and this is the format that lacks draw power and where a card hiding in the bottom of your deck is actually likely to happen. So yeah, a staple if you pull it. :lol:

In closing, let me once again clarify what it is I am trying to say: this isn't a card for Unlimited (that should be Obvious), is a must-run in Limited, and for Modified is one of those cards you should always look at if there are any slots left after "staple positions" (Main Pokémon line, any supporting Pokémon, draw and search supporters, Pokémon-switching cards, maybe a category or two I missed). That isn't always going to happen, but I find at least half my decks have such room. This is also good if you find you have too many Supporters, and maybe a Celio's Network or the like is safe to cut. Finally, I compare this card to Master Ball a lot, and would score that card quite similarly.

12. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

Lol, almost the same as Master Ball, which is almost never played. I guess there's a reason why..

2/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.