2007-09-22 Tyranitar- MT 17/123

Discussion in 'Card of the Day' started by PokePop, Sep 21, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

2. Jason

Jason New Member

This card does not combo with anything in the format...however this Pokemon would combo well if T-tar ex UF wasnt rotated out... I'll rate this card... 3/10.

3. Let Fire Fall

Let Fire Fall New Member

you have to look at the pre-vos. Memory Berry + this thing means you're doing 10 to the bench plus however many darks you have on it that add onto the active. You're spreading a lot of damage after a few turns and after you lose a few tyranitar/pupitar and spread decent damage, both of Tyranitars attacks hit for big damage that are easily scrambled letting you 1 shot everything.

5/10

has potential

4. Mew

Mew New Member

Garunteed 100 with Mantine d.

5. Mew*

Mew* Active Member

A Mediocre card. Good Resistance. Bad Weakness. Exceptional Hit Points! Awful Retreat Cost. Expensive attacks that require obscure types of energy. Cool Artwork :biggrin:. Gets a boost from darkness energy.

This card is very interesting. It will only shine if an energy accelerator is printed that can help this guy power up. Mantine d makes a good partner since it can put energy from the discard onto the top of the deck. I'd say that there is an energy on the top of the opponents deck about 1 in 3 times. I personally think this guy is amazing, but for now it is around being an average card since it has such high energy costs.

6. Skarmbliss

Skarmbliss New Member

Horrible card to play with, there are no cards to combo it with and hes the slowest pokemon to build with. His hit points maybe good and resistance to psychic is very helpful. But being weak to figting is BAD NEWS BEARS. His retreat cost is way to overpriced. This is one of those cards that need lots of Scrambles and Double Rainbows since its that slow.

Modified- Horrible card with nothing to combo it with and bad weakness. 2/10

Limited- Not many fighting types so this card may be see in play. 7/10

Unlimited- ER's, Tyrogue's,Hitmonchan, other fighting types will screw you over big time. 1/10

7. L00p_H01eS

L00p_H01eS New Member

i dont know.. i kinda like it.

i was always a fan of t-tar..

8. skarmory777

skarmory777 New Member

Honchkrow tyranitar. I've seen it work. It has potential in my eyes but not right now.

3.5/10

9. Dr. Mason

Dr. Mason New Member

Combo this with the new Weavile from the english dp03 and mantine. It kills.

10. Hatter™

Hatter™ Active Member

As proved at my battle road today, THIS CARD CAN WORK AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    right now 5/10.

11. G-Dog4377

G-Dog4377 New Member

Yeah, you beat me to it. Attach :fighting: Energy from the hand to it while Weavile is out searching for :dark: Energy. We'll just have to see. :colorless:colorless:colorless:colorless Retreat cost is also pretty steep, as well as the :fighting: weakness.

6/10, varying greatly upon how it's played.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  12. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

T-Tar MT is ok, but nothing that special imo. Good HP, but the attacks are awfully expensive along with its Retreat Cost and a bad (imo) Weakness. Payback is ok, but only in the late-game. Ground Burn is expensive for its cost.

Modified - 4/10 (Unless it gets some better support, no real reason to play)
    Limited - 8/10 (Once you get it out, it can last a while with the HP and you should eventually get the energy needed for Ground Burn)
    Unlimited - 1/10 (No reason to use this here)

13. Rai

Rai <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Tyranitar MT, one of the biggest HP stage 2 pokemon we have in the format right now (140 HP with a +30 weakness means minimum damage to One Shot it is 110 fighting type, which frankly isn't going to happen)

So, we can establish once it gets out, it'll definately be alive for several turns, which is good. What about when it isn't out?

You have three choices of basic Larvitars to pick from. Two of them are from Dragon Frontiers and the other is obviously from Mysterious Treasures. While the MT Larvitar might look best (Fighting type 20 damage for one energy and discard of top card of deck), keep in mind that the Dragon Frontiers Larvitar Delta is capable of paralyzing an opponent for only one lighting energy. Both have a respectable 50 HP, which won't save them late game, but prevents t1 losses from Riolu and the like (Which is the important part).

Also, keep in mind the Stage 1, Pupitar. Considering that the alternatives have 1 retreat cost and no resistance, it only makes sense that MT Pupitar is the best choice at all times (-20 lightning resistance, 0 retreat cost). Also, a vital point to make note of is the fact that MT Pupitar can place 10 damage on all of your opponent's pokemon at once for 2 colorless energy. 70 HP is becoming just below the standard (I'd consider 80 HP on a stage 1 to be standard due to regular HP increasing in recent sets), but is workable.

So Tyranitar already has a decent basic, and a good stage 1. Since the pre-evolutions aren't worthless (ala Gyarados), this makes Tyranitar capable of touching the table. And my, both of his attacks make him a scary opponent.

So what about Tyranitar's first attack? Even though it requires your opponent to have 1 prize left to activate, it has a massive effect for a low cost (2 energy, one being specific to attack. Damage of 80 + discard top 3 cards of opponent's deck). Should a Pupitar have been spreading damage earlier, this should be sufficient to knock out most stage 1s and basic pokemon. Also, unlike previous cards that have had bonus effects when the opponent has one prize left (notably Pokemon *), Tyranitar has high HP, making him very difficult to knock out quickly. Should you have a way to prevent damage to the benched pokemon, Payback can completely turn a game around.

And then the obvious attack, Ground Burn. To continue the discard theme, it does discard the top card from your opponent's deck. 80 to 120 damage is a highly respectable number, knocking out almost every stage 1 and several weaker stage 2s. With 2 special darkness energies on Tyranitar, an energy card set ontop of the deck, and a damage counter already on the defending pokemon (via Pupitar), Tyranitar can reliably one hit KO Empoleon, Machamp, and several other lower HP pokemon. Notice: reliably. It is a huge point to notice that Tyranitar is dark type, as the ability to utilize special darkness energy vastly outweighs the loss of his Fighting Type (doing more damage to any pokemon is better then slightly more damage to a few pokemon).

So, the benefits of Tyranitar have been established. His cons?

-Stage 2
    -4 energy for his large attack
    -Massive retreat cost
    -Fighting weakness makes Lucario able to 2 shot him.
    -Bench hitters make his best combo (with Mantine d) cry

How does Tyranitar overcome these cons?

- His basic and Stage 1 have a delta option, meaning Fearow d can Delta Call them out (making it a consistant line, only requiring supporters to find the final evolution). Also, his stage 1 is respectable in it's own right, being worthwhile attacking on its own.

-Tyranitar is not an EX, so Double Rainbow Energy and Scramble are more then viable options. Additionally, his delta pre-evolutions and mantine d all are lightning type, while Tyranitar MT does not care what color of energy is discarded with his attack. Therefore, it's not out of the question to use Raichu MT as an energy accelerator, then comboing with Holon's Castform to replace a lightning energy with 2 of any color (preferably the 2 fighting energy requirement). Once Secret Wonders is released, Weavile SW can search out the darkness energies that make Tyranitar absolutely devastating, and make the Pupitar benefit from the Darkness energies as well (just keep in mind the damage boost is only to the active, not the bench).

-Trainers that cause switching of the active pokemon are NOT hard to come by. Additionally, the stage 1 has free retreat, and usually you won't evolve to the stage 2 until you're ready to attack with it. No problems here.

-Fighting weakness isn't that bad, because nothing can one shot Tyranitar, while Tyranitar can one shot most fighting pokemon even without Pupitar placing damage onto them previously.

-Pokemon that hit the bench usually have low enough HP for Tyranitar to one shot (such as Prinplup and Octillery). The highest HP bench sniper, Torterra LV.X will be an auto-loss should it hit the field due to weakness advantage over the stage 1, and ability to pull any pokemon active when losing. The second biggest HP bench sniper though, Empoleon LV.X can be KOed by Tyranitar with slight boosts to the damage output (as demonstrated above). Also, Bastiodon/Dugtrio can be used should such pokemon become massive threats.

Final Verdict: Tyranitar MT benefits from a good family tree, useful attacks that place a lot of damage on the field, and the HP to take several blows. Definately worth looking into, and finding a good combo with something. The only unresolvable flaw is that it can not place damage onto the active pokemon and a benched pokemon at the same time (ala Empoleon).

Modified: 8/10
    Limited: 9/10 (Definately play if possible. The Pupitar alone will be worth it in a limited tournament. Additionally, it is easier to get Payback activated with less prizes)

14. Bitmancer

Bitmancer New Member

Rai:

Best single card review I've read anywhere in MONTHS. (Admitting, haven't been on the P-gym enough...)
    Well done! :thumb:

15. (TYranitarFReak)

(TYranitarFReak) New Member

Hands down everyone!

:lol:

Rai , u just beat all of the former posts.:thumb: Now i have confidence in t tars again!

16. Kenshin's Garde

Kenshin's Garde New Member

Rai, you have to realize that Lewis and Clark would NOT be happpy about this guy. I mean, maps have to be redrawn! after ll that hard work! That monster!

anyways, thiscard is bad right now. there is simply too much fighting stuff for this guy to be effective. in addition, with all the speed decks out, this guy will never successfully hit the table to actually do something that a strong basic or stage 1 couldn't

17. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Anything with weakness to F+30 that isn't Blissey should be bindered.

Modified: 5/10? (that's still an F)

18. smileydude560

smileydude560 New Member

it has lots of hit points, while not ex..... its attacks take 2 different types of energy...... I'll say 6/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.