Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2007-10-02 Mantine - MT 029/123

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokePop

Administrator
Staff member
displayimage.php

Free retreat is really good as long as Mantyke is underneath this Mantine. I love this card ALOT and its always help me out especially in an Empoleon deck and maybe a Palkia deck or Gatr or whatever.... :D

my rating: 9/10

p.s. no steve irwin/stingray jokes please :(

I second what Jason said. I use a 1-1 Mantine line in my deck to help with the retreat costs. Of course you run the risk of hitting one of those as your starter pokemon; in which case you better pray to the poke-gods that you get something good on your first turn. Over all though I think it gives those water decks a lot more flexibility in strategy.
My rating: 8/10

Mantine is a nice tech in water decks along with Mantyke. Throw in a Plus Power or two and he can even OHKO an Infernape for you. Decent HP for a Stage 1 and a nice Resistance to Fighting, meaning you're not going to get donked by Riolu/Lucairo. Lightning Weakness might be problematic for Electivire match-ups though.

Modified - 8/10 (Decent 1-1 or 2-2 tech for your Water decks if you can afford the bench space)
Limited - 7/10 (Can be great if you get him out for your other Water Pokemon, otherwise he isn't that effective here)
Unlimited - 1/10 (Not needed here and a somewhat easy target for Gust Of Wind to target and pick off)

It is OK. It can give a lot of pokes a free retreat, but so can a lot of other cards, and people don't play them. It doesn't combo well with empoleon because Empoleon usually plays Cessation Crystal, thus shutting down Mantine's pokebody. It would take up two spaces in the deck to work. One benefit is that you can use mentor to grab the full line. It is really nasty how it can only attack once every-other turn. Good resistance, Weakness wont matter a whole lot, and mediocre HP. I don't see what the rave is about.

5/10

EDIT: ^ That score is for modified

Last edited:
Mantine is great teched in decks like Empoleon, to make sure that Empoleon X can get away after firing his 80 to something. Only to be used if you use Mantyke anyway though, and since Mantyke isn't a bad card in itself for said Empoleon deck, Mantine is an easy option. You just got to hope he isn't going to have to attack by himself since he doesn't really have a high damage output.
As such, you should completely ignore its attack - you aren't supposed to use it. Just have one resting on your bench and you have some more versatility in your water based deck.

Ratings:
Modified Empoleon - 8/10 - It is one of the best teammates for Empoleon. Maybe only Octillery is better when looking at pure waters.
Modified Non-Empoleon - 6/10 - Most Waters can keep up their assaults anyway so they have less need for this thing.
Limited - 6/10 - Not bad, but nothing to get excited about if you pull it.
Unlimited - 1/10 - Pschyeah right.

One of mine favourite cards in MT. It get many of water's 0 retreat and also that combo with it move, what can be used in a "hole" of the game. Modified rating 8/10

This is a nice little tech card for :water:-type decks - Empoleon and Feraligatr in Modified, and Rain Dance in Unlimited. Shaving down a large Retreat Cost is always a good thing, and Giant Wave could prove useful in emergencies. Mantyke's Call for Friends attack synchronizes well with this guy. Being able to get it all out in 1 turn w/Mentor is a plus. 3.5/5.

- Croatian "how 'bout them Rays?" Nidoking

6/10 Modified/ 1-1 tech in Water deck only.
1/10 Limited/ bad for limited :O
2/10 Unlimited/ Pretty useless only if your using Blastoise Base 1

p.s. no steve irwin/stingray jokes please :(

Yes, that is not somthing to joke about. :frown:
It's bad enough with all the cheep magazines and papers going on about it, we realy don't need any of that on pokegym.

I think that this card could have potential as a 1-1 line to give free retreat in water decks. How good is it for this? I think only time and the next sets will tell.

Modified as a 1/1 line in water decks 9/10, any other use = 3/10

mantine wins. it is such a nice tech for water decks,gatr being a fav.,also can help infernape matchup for weakness and mario matchup with resistance. starting with mantyke isn't as bad as it seems with the attack for 0 to get a poke. with the spots for it a 2-2 of this ensures you get one going unless you prize both mantyke/mantine,or start with mantine and prize the other. a slim chance if you like to play the odds. overall i rate this card well.

Modified 8/10
Unlimited 2/10 (something with blastoise,rain dance varients maybe?)
Limited 8.5/10 alone 9.5/10 with mantyke

I'm still wondering if this is better or not than switch or fluffy berry in rain dance decks for unlimited.
Free retreat for Suicune ex might be kind of nice. It's easily shut down, so that's where it ends.

Unlimited 5/10

i think that atm this isn't the most useful card, there isn't enough room on the bench for gart (well, there shouldn't) and empoleon should play cessation. i'm not sure about other water decks (if any), but the two mentioned don't use them to full potential, in my oppinion.

Mantines pokebody is simply broken. The fact that all water pokemons retreat cost is reduced by 2 can make alot of pokemons retreat cost to 0-2 depending on the pokemons original retreat cost. This body can help alot in gatr decks, empoleon decks, any water decks. Only problem is cessation crystal can easily get in its way and you have to worry about the baby evolution because if you cant evolve mantyke to mantine, that means you cant use mantines pokemon body.

Modified- Great card for any water deck but terrible card for everything else. Cessation crystal will give mantine shivers. 7/10

Unlimited- There are just too many pokemon who have free retreat cost and its not really all that worth it. 3/10

Limited- Like i said for modified, it can work really well for a mono water decks. 10/10

Great card, when used as part of a very specific deck. Not just for the free retreat water types effect in things like Empoleon though. 8/10

I think the body is really good but not broken. Broken is if it should enev been made. this is just really good in some desks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back