Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2007-10-23 Island Hermit- DF 076/101

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokePop

Administrator
Staff member
displayimage.php

Not sure how the rating system works, but I like this card. Drawing 2 cards and getting some information about your prize pile is a good thing. Perhaps it gives a little information to your opponent, but I don't think it's that big of an issue.

Unlike some of the other card drawing cards, there are not negatives such as discarding a card or shuffling a card back into your deck.

This card is like pokedex hand 910, in that it ONLY works in the right deck.

The purpose of Pokedex is, realistically, to deck thin, and the purpose of this card is to make the odds of pulling a key prize better.

However,in almost all decks, it's easier to not waste deck space on inferior draw, and instead spend time during one of your turns in the game to quickly figure out what is or isn't prized.

Rating: 4/10

Last edited:
Drawing cards in any card game is a good thing. Pokemon is no exception. Island Hermit has given us another powerful, but not broken card. Flip up to 2 face down prizes face up. That gives you the advantage of knowing what to draw when a Pokemon is knocked out and the knowlege of what is possibly in your deck. Draw two cards. Two free cards, no side effect (discarding). Speeds a deck up right away. There are better supporters for card drawing, but all of them have side effects.

Rating: 7.5/10 If you can fit them into your deck, use three only

IMO one of the best draw cards in the format, very helpful if for example your only Lv. X is prized.
8.2/10

i want someone to run this "amazing" (=/ yeah right) card in Gallade.

ok, you draw 2 cards. that is far inferior to drawing 3 or more cards with a different draw card. in addition, giving away what your prizes are are a HUGE factor in game play . . . for your OPPONENT. if you pick a flipped up prize, your opponent can usually plan what you are going to do next. if you DON'T pick a flipped card, then you obviously don't need the card face up, and thus gives away what you most likely have in your hand. while knowing what your prizes are are helpful, there is simply too much risk of a good player predicting your next moves after you knock out their pokemon.

I like Island Hermit. Being able to scout out 2 cards you have prized is useful, and then you get to draw 2 cards from your deck to sweeten the deal. Island Hermit is most useful in decks like Kricketune, where it is essential that you know if you have Kricketot/Tune prized, as having a Kricketot prized can very well cost you the game. By being able to scout out 2 of your Prize cards, you can either find it or at least eliminate what 2 aren't Kricketot.

Modified - 8/10 (Useful effect, but many people will prefer more cards from their Supporter, like TV Reporter or Steven's Advice)
Limited - 10/10 (You get 2 free cards and scout out half of what you have prized, and as you may only run 1 particular card you need, this can find it if it's Prized)
Unlimited - 1/10 (No need for this, quantity > effect here)

This card is bad right now, and will be even worse when Team Galatic's Mars comes out and destroys any semblance of worth that it had.

Modified: 1/10
Unlimited: -1/10 (Try Oak and Erika, kiddos)

Last edited:
It's Torterrible!

No, really, it's bad. Like Chad said, basically every other supporter you can play would be more beneficial. Getting to peek at your prizes is neat, but not worth your supporter use for the turn.

A cool card for juniors who are new to the game to play at league, but has no place in a major tournament.

2/10

This card is doubleplus ungood.

The inexperienced may think that being able to flip two of your prizes is a good thing, but you quickly learn that any deck search card allows you to view your entire deck and determine if anything important is in your prizes, without wasting your supporter play on a simple draw. Also, flipping your prizes reveals significant information to your opponent, and you don't want your opponent to be able to predict your strategy by seeing what you do or don't draw from your prizes -- see Kenshin's comment above.

So the card makes you do something you really don't want to do from a strategic standpoint, and then only gets you two more cards. Pretty much any other draw card beats that. Use those instead.

I can see why its used in Kricket, but for every other deck out there, there's no reason to play this instead of Stevens or TVR or something.

Not a good card. Maybe in Kriketune, but i wouldn't play it in it.
Still it lets you draw 2 cards, and flipping over prices is almost never bad.

2/10 - modified

Well i have to give this card an ok rating. Yes i know the con and pros of this card, i know there are other < supporters out there. Even with that all said above, this card isnt that bad, yet. Its more like a bill and here comes team rocket put 2gether.

Mod. 7/10 (atm its not to bad, but i still dont run it)

Limited. 10/10 (Draw is never bad here)

Unlimited .5/10 (Why use it?)

Yeah, this seems below TV Reporter in general usefulness, since most of the time your hand and the top three cards of your deck will contain at least one card you won't need and will be happy to discard.

I like this card but don't play it much. Any deck that relies on one or two key cards can benifit from it. Searching your deck may tell you what is prized ... but that may not help you much if you can't get to it even after taking 3-4 prizes yourself. Hermit can speed things up tremendously if your needed card is prized and you *have* to get it ASAP.

On the other hand many other decks simply don't need that, and consequently shouldn't run Hermit.

This card's rating will depend on the deck but I'll give it a 6/10. It's playable in the right deck, but not generally useful to every deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back