2007/2008 OP Season explained...no European cup?

Discussion in 'Tournaments & Events Worldwide' started by andceo, Sep 20, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. andceo

andceo New Member

This mean we will not have a European Tournament this year? Too bad:nonono:

2. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

beware of inferring the negative. Or at least if you do then make sure that you acknowledge the inference. POP don't detail what they aren't doing.

I read the announcement differently: If there is a European Cup this year then we should not expect such an extra event to offer invites to Worlds.

I have no idea if a European Cup will happen this season. In an odd way its probably easier for POP to introduce a European Cup after POP organise a Worlds in Europe. Which I think means that if we want a big prize pan Europe tournament then its down to the locals to organise one.

3. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

I would think a European Cup would be a good practise to see if we are ready to have an event as Worlds.

The only thing clear to me, it's going to be a short season.
    Not much traveling if those time frames are really become true.

4. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I can't disagree that a European Cup would be "good practice". But do we actually need to practice? Practice costs money too. Thats why I said that though its a bit odd it just seems more likely that POP will go for the BIG event in Europe first.

5. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

A European championships gives everyone something to aspire to, as there can be more trips than to Worlds.

6. Prof Donphan

Prof Donphan Member

I think that there will be no European Championship and it's a pity.....
    We wil have more Special Events like on 24 nov in London, with high k-value only for ranking..... and we still don't know if ranking will give invite only or invite + trip to Worlds this year.
    Surely, as Lia said, travels are expensive and if players don't know if ranking will give invite+trip...

7. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

I suggest you just run a tournament giving three flights to the US away as prizes plus the hotel accomodation and let the winners play the grinder -

You'll get loads of uptake - So money please DOM..

8. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Sniff Sniff... beef .. cow... bull? ah ..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  9. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Okay Dom -

Venue - Around £2000 - maybe cheaper but good to budget around this mark

Prizes Flights - say £700 per winner with adults maybe required too taking it to around £1400 per winner per age group so thats £4200

Prizes Boosters etc for age groups say 2 cases £600

So far up to £6800 for your costs

Judges and Judge support - probably at least another £1000 if you are to run it properly

Now costs are £7800

Persuading POP to give you 3 seats at worlds - Priceless - Where are they to be taken from?

Better to go for a seat at the grinder that can be delivered - now adding in contingency and other potential costs I think you should budget for between £8000 and £10000 for the tournament.

The word now would be show me the money ... snide remarks aside your assertion that :

Is a little hard for anyone to swallow and your dismissal of the only real viable option leaves us all thinking its bull ..

If you are serious forget getting seats at worlds as prizes they are all allocated - go for what you can deliver not what you can't.

Good luck on delivering your event and coming up with the money..

10. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Isn't it - I thought you were proposing to fund a European Championships where flights and even accomodation would be funded by you?

Okay so not funded by you then...

And where do those invites come from - POP has set the budget and invites already - you can only gain places by taking them from someone else..

better to aim for a grinder place and see worlds - and maybe have the winners earn a place in the main event

So not an open championships like US Nationals at all then?

Ah I see .. mmm and who decides that one country is less deserving than another..

Oh so again we were right to think that ..

wasn't to be taken seriously... snide remarks aside ... :rolleyes: