2008-2-21 Pachirisu - GE 005/106

Discussion in 'Card of the Day' started by PokePop, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

2. master of puppets

master of puppets New Member

first post!

not quite as good as dunsparce, but still good none the less.
    great for set up decks and made it so that theyre acctually viable in the format now.
    also gets rid of annoying tools AND does 40 damage AND discards the same tools in their hand.

9.5/10 (only cause i never start with it, lol)

best starter till we get phione, and even then it might be better.

3. Tego

Tego New Member

10/10

An almost ridiculously good starter. Both attacks are overpowered and godly, and the amazingly good 70 HP adds the icing to this Dunsparce-beating luxury cake.

4. aade8

aade8 New Member

One of, if not the best starters this season (maybe ever). Pachirisu stinks in the VG, and its first card debut in DP was terrible. The little squirrel begged for a boost, and it got a heck of one. BAM, three basics on the Bench ready to go (to evolve, energize, etc.). The hopes of set-up decks got seriously heightened with this little guy. Its second attack only sweetens the deal being that it ALSO only requires a Colorless Energy to work, and it has the ability to totally screw-up Leftover, Amulet Coin, Cessation Crystal, and occasionally Strength Charm users.

In my opinion, the most playable card from GE (although, Claydol has it goin' on too). Modified: 10/10

5. G-Dog4377

G-Dog4377 New Member

I used to hate, hate, hate Pachirisu. It was just another Pikachu knock off, useless in DS gaming, and for some reason, people couldn't seem to get enough of this lousy piece of garbage! It doesn't even evolve! Now, however, it gets my deck going very easily, and it also gets rid of Cessation Crystal.Now I think it is fantastic! It even seems to be a little cute.
    9.5/10 (Because of Fighting weakness)

6. Dom

Dom New Member

Yeah its good, in an obvious way. Not that Corsola wasn't DECENT enough, but ya this is better. Possibly better than Dunsparce considering: a) The higher HP, and b) the fact that there's no Swoop in the format anyway.

8/10.

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

No Unlimited ratings?

8. Shino Bug Master

Shino Bug Master Front Page News Editor

7/10

Don't get me wrong, its a great starter, bt I feel it's being way overhyped here. for no energy Stantler can get you a mentor which is basiclly Pachi here, and can then get you anything else you need. Pachi's useless after 2 attacks. Unless of course you are facing Wailord with Leftovers, in which case pachi dances all over it. That being said, it helps prevent donks and fast evolutions and will see play in many decks. I find it rather sad that Mentor, Castaway and Lanette's Net Search as Pokemon attacks. Nice CC disrupter, but Leftovers and Amulet coin got killed by the "at the end of your turn" clause and SC gets discarded before you can attack. So the occasional BP and CC are all you have to hope for.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

10/10. I don't even have to justify my logic.

10. PkmnManiac

PkmnManiac New Member

Well, I think there's a lot of good Unlimited format decks out there that don't "require" Pachirisu for a setup.

Course, I think 9/10 either way simply because you get 3 Basics out Turn 1.

11. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

The next Dunsparce SS (or at least as everyone seems to be hailing it as), Pachirisu GE is actually quite a good card. 70 HP is good for a Basic with no evolutions, +20 Weakness to Fighting doesn't help though, neither does the oddball -20 Resistance to Metal (who uses Metal?), and 1 Retreat Cost is normal. Call for Family Family is the primary reason anyone will use Pachirisu, allowing you to search your deck for 3 Basic Pokemon and to put them on your bench for 1 Energy; this is increadibly useful in the begining and aids in your eventual setup. Smash Short is also another great reason to use Pachirisu; it deals a basic 10 damage for 1 Energy initially, but if the Defending Pokemon has a Tool attached, it deals an extra 30 damage and discards the Tool attached AND lets you search your opponent's hand for Tools of the same name and to discard them, if any. This also makes Pachirisu useful in the mid-to-late game as well, negating the need to run Windstorm or something and allowing you to make full use of all your Pokemon (though admitedly at this point, Pachirisu is also open for an easy KO).

Modified - 9/10 (A great starter that can fit into many different decks)
    Limited - 10/10 (Searching out specific Basic Pokemon is great here as well, though Smash Short isn't an effective option due to limited people getting Tools to play)
    Unlimited - 2/10 (Could be useful, but more than likely not going to be played)

12. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

This card is godly for setup and prevents early Cess. Crystal locks.
    The picture is really nice too.

10/10 no doubt

13. AnimeDDR110

AnimeDDR110 New Member

He is a fast attacker, and a great starter. Great tech for beginning game, it moves fast and gets out of the way quick.

11/10 =]

14. SuicidalPikachu

SuicidalPikachu New Member

this card brings back the setup decks. It has CFF for 3, something we haven't seen since dunsparce, and its second attack hurts all of the rush disrupting decks we have sen coming out since Delta(Reggs). it has a very nice 70hp, resistance to metal may seem odd, but i'd rather it have that then no resistance at all. 1 retreat is standard for starters.

Modified: 9.5/10- arguably the BEST starter right now, some still prefer absol or stantler, but meh.

Limited: 9/10- still a great starter, but there are so many things that could be counted as starters in this set, it kind of dampers the awesomeness of this guy.

Unlimited: 5/10- it is still a nice starter, but as others said, Unlimited is so fast you rarely ned a starter.

15. Zezeta

Zezeta New Member

Probably the best starter in this format. He'll see plenty of playing time right up until he gets rotated out.

9/10 (like people said the fighting weakness hurts just a little bit)

16. Zyklon

Zyklon New Member

The best starter in the format.

10/10

17. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

let's be realistic here. You can't make a deck around Pachirisu. He only really has 2 uses, getting basics, and removing tools (w/ a little damage). Sure, he does those things really well, but he isn't so powerful to warrant a 10/10. A 10/10 means the card is perfect or darn near perfect. A card that only use most of the time is within the first few turns isn't a perfect card, or even a card that warrants a 10/10 imho. You won't even play this card in every deck. I am sure Blissey variants and Honchkrow, and probably every Lucario/Banette variant out there will not play Pachirisu. I'd give the card a 8/10 because it's really good, but it would be better if it evolved and you could base a deck around it's evolution. That's the winning combination. <3 FRLG Nidoqueen

18. eriknance

eriknance New Member

^Well, a perfect card to me means that it does it job perfectly, not that it is perfect at every moment during the game. I get what you're saying about not being able to build a deck around Pachirisu, but it still does its job almost to perfection. However, I have a few things to say about this Pikasquirrel...

I'm quite surprised at all the hype this card has gotten. I mean, I recognize it as a great card, but most of its comparisons are to SS Dunsparce. Let's look at the history of "Basic-grabbing Basics" with this game. Dunsparce was an amazing card that found its way into nearly every deck. If you didn't have 4 slots open for it in your deck, many would say that you didn't have a deck. When Dunsparce rotated, everyone turned their eye to DX Plusle, another Basic that could grab you more Basics with a second attack that was amazing. However, the entire strategy for getting Basic Pokemon into play soon changed with the addition of one particular card: Holon Mentor. With Holon Mentor essentially doing what Dunsparce could do, who wouldn't run it? Why risk running Plusle if you could just throw in Mentor and get started with your main Pokemon (or something else to set you up)? Look at the typical MetaNite build of last season. Did you see any Plusle in those decks? Any Lanette's Net Search (the "Corsola" of Basic-grabbing Supporters)? Nope, you saw Mentor with a good starter that didn't get Basic Pokemon -- Holon's Castform.

The thing is, Pachirisu is overshadowed by the existence of Holon Mentor. Yes, it's true that Mentor isn't as powerful without Holon Transceiver, but with 4 in your deck you're still leaving yourself with plenty of room to focus on Basic Pokemon that can help you set up in different ways... Pokemon such as SW Mew, Stantler, Baltoy, etc. The reason I'll put Pachirisu in my deck, however, is because of its second attack. Smash Short is basically a Windstorm in the form of a Basic Pokemon (with the exception of not being able to get rid of Unown G). With the absence of such things as Cessation Crystal, I've wanted to drop Windstorm from my deck altogether. Pachirisu lets me do that, since I can always rely on it to knock off those pesky Cessation Crystals if I need to. Since it's a card that can be recycled back into my deck, it's great both early game and late game. So though Pachirisu's first attack isn't all that much to look at, its second attack certainly is, warranting at least 1 spot in most decks as a tech.

I'll give it a 7 out of 10 in the current modified format. Not all decks will even use Pachirisu, but most decks will tech at least 1 in because of its second attack. If you don't go up against any Pokemon Tools that need to be done away with, however, Pachirisu probably won't even hit the field.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  19. flariados

flariados New Member

9/10 I like it and I have 4 of them! It is great in my magmortar deck. And stantler is not better because Absol could discard the holon mentor before you even used it. And you need to discard a card with holon mentor. And you are a turn later in setting up.

20. Pokeric

Pokeric New Member

Great HP for a Basic, and has two great attacks for only 1 :colorless energy each. I also think that Hironobu Yoshida deserves a big round of applause because I absolutely LOVE the artwork :biggrin:

9/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.