Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2008-5-20 Porygon Z LvX - MD 100/100

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokePop

Administrator
Staff member
displayimage.php

an excellent addition to a porygon Z deck, although the lack of a reliable move makes the true usefulness of this card debatable. While the ability to sweep all of your opponent's sp. energy may be good, and the double smooth over effect amazing, the fact that you basically need at least 2 heads to do a ko with a Lake puts this card at a disadvantage imo. good if your name is Jeremy Schariff-Kim and can get infinite heads on your reversals tho. ;P

7/10: if you can get him out at the right time, this thing can be a BEAST. however, this card usability is based heavily on its non x form, which, while potentially powerful, lacks a good move to complement it's otherwise ridiculously powerful Poke-Powers.

I think the LvX is good. The ability to discard special energy's is good (but won't be as useful next season with the elmination of scramble' and DRE's). It's other power is double what the old macargo used to be, which is also faily useful. It's down sides of course are that its a stage 2 lvX so it'll take forever to get out, and it has no attack to make up for Porygon Z's useless attack.

7/10 It might be playable if there was a useable Porygon Z

This card has some potential. But the fact that it doesn't give Porygon-Z another attack kinda really doesnt make it any better. Still, the powers give Porygon-Z a good boost.

8/10

Well, this thing dies in this format. Not only does it have but one attack, which is flippy, but it has x2 Fighting Weakness, dies against Psychic Lock and Glaceon Lv.X and Cessation Crystal, is a Stage 2 Lv.X, AND has 2 Retreat Cost (which is average, but come on, 1 MIGHT make it decent). Overall, EPIC FAIL. Binder candy, IMO. Maybe it has the most broken Powers in the game. Well, if it can't attack, it's no good. It can't be used as a tech, because it's a Stage 2 Lv.X. If they'd make a good Porygon-Z that can actually compete in this format, it might stand a chance, as a tech in Porygon-Z decks. Put it down at the right time, and it can win you a game. Unfortunatly, it gets even worst next format, when DRE and Scramble are rotated... then, Mode Crash won't be good AT ALL. Let's see, what can we discard... Call Energy... Heal Energy... what else? Um... Multi Energy? Okay. Anything else? Hm... nope. 3 single Energy. Call and Heal are used for one occasion, your opponent usually won't care about those. Multi is rarely used now, won't change next format.

4/10

At most it's okay. The thing is it's first power can be quite useful, however, as most people know since the Porygon Z has to be active to be leveled up.. this is the root of the main problem.. In short it's second power is very good especially with claydol. It's just too hard to consistantly get into position. Since the porygon z is so awful, you don't wanna play too many/too much space. but 1-0-1-1 is so iffy.
Anymore is so much space.

Remeber though, the porygon is not a terrible starter. The porygon z does an average of 60 (120 if weakness) p/ turn for two colorless which is not bad for a support pokemon, (even if it is stage 2).

A potential tech maybe in skittles but even then I'd say the garchomp would be better as a tech.

So yeah. 2 r/t...

Porygon Z: MD 100/100

Lets take a look at the vital Statistics:

Hit Points: 130. A decent amount, but not anywhere near where an 'in effect' Stage 4 should be. 150-160 would be better.

Retreat: Manageble at 2. Not bad, but certainly not what you would like.

Weakness: Fighting x2. Bad vs Gallade, but anything gets OHKOed anyway, it just saves them prizes.

Onto the meat of the card.

First power: When playing Porygon Z from your hand, discard all Special NRG attached to your opponent's pokemon.
At first glance, it appears to be pretty sweet. However, lets look more closely. DRE, Scramble, and Heal are all being rotated. These make up the majority of the Special NRG cards being played in today's format. After August, this will not affect much of the game. Unless someone can combo it quick, there is no hope of this being usefull.

Second Power: Search your deck for 2 cards and put them on top of your deck.
This is where it gets good. In effect, a dual Pidgeot, but you need Claydol to take advantage of it. (which most decks should run claydol anyway...)
Pretty sweet for a power.

Unfortunately, the rest of the card weighs down the one upside, and I have to give Porygon Z a 3/10.

Oh it looks SO nice, but there are just way too many negatives:

• Psychic Lock stops it and Porygon2
  • Needs to be active to level up
  • Bad retreat cost
  • Bad weakness
  • Porygon-Z isn't the best
  • An opponent can play around it

Maybe a GE-on format might give Porygon a chance. But then what would it discard with mode crash ;)

3/10

I think it's going to be usefull... if I can get my hands on one. With claydol or delcaty it's a search for to cards that you can play THAT TURN!? That's better than furret. As for attacking abilitys, I'd use it only as a search tech. Also, to get it on the bench use warp point. Yes, it can get shut down in multiple ways, but you can deal with them, like windstorm for cc, or just K.O. Glaceon Lv.x or gardivoir. (No problem for my curent deck.)

9/10

Porygon z lvx is an ok card. It has 2 poke-powers, this can be a good/bad thing. It's fist power Mode Crash let's you discard all of your opponents special energy cards when played from hand. This ability can be good in this format since there are a lot of special energy's running around. It's second poke-power is Decode which allows you to search your deck for up to 2 of any card and put them on top of your deck. This can be very good for you can draw those cards with claydol/ draw cards. The down side to this card is that it has no attack to get around it's one flippy attack. Also having all powers is not a good thing since gardevoir can psylock it and there is glaceon and cc'. It has a weakness of x2 to fighting which makes it gallade bate. Looking at the rest of the card 130 hp is kind of the normal for a stage 2 lv x. No resistance is also normal on this card. 2 retreat cost is kind of high but could be worse.
In a porygon z deck I give it a 8/10
In anything else a 6/10

When Kettler gets a hold of this card he will sweep Battle Roads . He knew how to play Macargo so he will learn how to play this. At 130 hp its not going to get sniped off the bench and thats where you want it. So after you level up decode for a switch or a warp point. Play your draw card. Enjoy getting the cards you need for the rest of the game. 9/10 for expert players. 4/10 for players like me.

When Kettler gets a hold of this card he will sweep Battle Roads . He knew how to play Macargo so he will learn how to play this. At 130 hp its not going to get sniped off the bench and thats where you want it. So after you level up decode for a switch or a warp point. Play your draw card. Enjoy getting the cards you need for the rest of the game. 9/10 for expert players. 4/10 for players like me.

EXACTLY! If you know how to use it, the card itself can be very very good. Also, people are always going to be using a special energy of some kind, and imo, it would be silly to list a card with an attack that would have no future uses (hint hint). What I mean is, there were twenty cards that we didn't know about until MD came out, and what's to say the next set or the set after won't have some surprises either? I wouldn't bank on DRE or Scramble going away fully, an interation of one may show up in the future. Also, for the drawing tech, it's just the bees knees. If you're worried about the retreat, add a couple Unown Q to the deck and make the retreat cost less in a single turn, you could use it's pokepower for that if you so wanted. I see a lot of potential for skilled (or interested) players who love using difficult decks (ie; me). I'd combo it with a Porygon2 and a delcatty/claydol on the bench and let the powers FLY!!!!:cool: Though, it can be teched, in which case, there are solutions. It's a puzzle lover's sort of card.

Modified (regular play) = 4/10 (I doubt it will see a ton of play in the normal game).
Modified (skilled play) = 9/10 (if you can use it to it's fullest potential).
Other formats= Noooooooooooo wayyyyyyyyy.

I'm very sad about how much this card will be underlooked. Its 1st pokepower lets you discard all special energy cards when it comes into play, and its 1 once per turn double smooth over.

5/10.

If it wasn't a stage 2 level X, it would be a 9/10.

I like this card a lot. But unfortunately, it will be a pain to play. Yes, it will have 3 beast Powers, but it doesn't have any firepower. Porygon-Z's attack just isn't sufficient for winning games. If this card had a good attack or was a basic or something, it would be bigger. But no, all this card is good for is bench warming and developing your fire power, and well, Lv. X's just aren't for that. It would be to much of a pain to get it active, level it up, then retreat again. There are small tweaks that could be made to this card to make it incredible, but unfortunately, those tweaks were not made.6/10

Porygon Z Lv X makes a great addition to any Porygon-themed deck. 130 HP is an improvement over regular Porygon Z, x2 Weakness to Fighting isn't helpful since Gallade is so popular (strongly consider Holon FF), no Resistance, and 2 for a Retreat Cost, which is ok. Porygon Z Lv X doesn't add any attacks (a bit lame considering Porygon Z's attacks aren't that great), but adds 2 useful Poke-Powers: Mode Crash and Decode. Mode Crash can be devestating if timed right, as it discards all of your opponent's special energies in play, letting you prevent their attempt at a comeback with Scramble or a quick donk with DRE. Decode is also very useful, letting you get any 2 cards from your deck and putting them on top.

Modified - 6/10 (A great addition to any Porygon Z deck, which itself isn't played much due to weaknesses)
Limited - 0/10 (Unless you're also drafting GE with this set, you cannot use Porygon Z Lv X, so put him safely in your binder or trade him later on)
Unlimited - 1/10 (No use here)

I got this card in my booster box today, and I was pretty dissapointed.

The only attack it has is really flippy and Garde conpletely shuts it down. Gallade kills it by only flipping 1 prize.

1.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back