Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

SD PokeMom

Mod Supervisor
Staff member
New changes have been made to the Modified format for Organized Play tournaments.
In the interest of maintaining a healthy tournament environment, Pokémon Organized Play removes older sets from the Modified format at the beginning of each new tournament season. Each rotation challenges existing players to create new strategies while enabling new players to get into Organized Play with a minimal investment.
Last year we announced that our goal was to have a Modified format that starts with 9 regular sets at the beginning of the season and ends the season with about 13 regular sets. Now that we have achieved that goal, we will continue to rotate sets each year to ensure that our Organized Play environment remains healthy and vital moving forward.
The Modified format for the 2010-2011 season will consist of the following sets:
dp5_symbol.png
Diamond & Pearl—Majestic Dawn

dp6_symbol.png
Diamond & Pearl—Legends Awakened

dp7_symbol.png
Diamond & Pearl—Stormfront

pl1_symbol.png
Platinum

pl2_symbol.png
Platinum—Rising Rivals

pl3_symbol.png
Platinum—Supreme Victors

pl4_symbol.png
Platinum—Arceus

rumble_Exp_symbol.png
Rumble

hgss1_symbol.png
HeartGold & SoulSilver

hgss2_symbol.png
HS—Unleashed

TK4_Expanion-Symbol_R.png
TK4_Expanion-Symbol_G.png
HS Trainer Kit
blackstarpromo.png
Black Star Promo Cards numbered DP22 and higher and Black Star Promo Cards numbered HGSS01 and higher.
In addition, future Pokémon TCG sets will become legal as they are released, per the Pokémon Organized Play Tournament Rules.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/news/

[edit: and for clarification, this includes POP pack and league promos whose set symbols are from rotated sets. such promos will ALSO no longer be legal when the new tournament year begins on september 1, 2010.]

'mom

Last edited:
WOW!

MD-on sounds awesome....glad we get to keep call energy, azelf, and uxie! Also means Garchomp X stays.

I can definitely see Gyarados getting big again with all of stormfront and Regice staying.

This is a huge surprise, I thought it was going to be PL-on just wow, This is even better though!

I called it. Absolutely called it. First on that Spec thread to notice both PCI's tendencies AND the wording from last year's announcement.

BTW, ILOVEIT!!! My current deck LIVES for another format! Though I'm probably going to have to find a new way of getting it going... 3-1 Uxie FTW!!! I now don't feel so stupid for having two Uxie LvXs in my Keepers binder ^_^

Oh yeah. NO MORE SPECULATION TOPICS FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!! I'm absolutely stoked about that :biggrin:

Oh no, we still have to deal with the ridiculous speed of Uxie and the annoying Gyarados SF, Gengar SF and Machamp SF. I'm glad Call Energies stay, but there are lots of cards that have had too much time in the format and simply need to go.

I'm not very happy about this. This means that SP because the dominant decks in the format, entirely. Without Claydol, Stage 2 decks don't stand a chance against SP, at all.

Yeah I mean seriously. Claydol gone but Uxie stays? Like what kinda messed up logic is that? Hello to another super fast format with SPs.

Better? Seriously, MD-on is the worst possible format.
Taking out Claydol but leaving Uxie? Probably no more chance classic decks? Even more Domination of donks and SP-decks?

I was really looking forward to the next season, excited of the new sets, and even comfortable with the expected PL-on format (which actually would make sense). But now... I seriously consider quitting. =(

Why?! Why not PL-on which would be the perfect block-rotation?

Better? Seriously, MD-on is the worst possible format.
Taking out Claydol but leaving Uxie? Probably no more chance classic decks? Even more Domination of donks and SP-decks?

I was really looking forward to the next season, excited of the new sets, and even comfortable with the expected PL-on format (which actually would make sense). But now... I seriously consider quitting. =(

Why?! Why not PL-on which would be the perfect block-rotation?
SP won't dominate when they have no Unown G, Gengar-Machamp will be dominating there'll be nthing from stopping them take outing and Shadow rooming.

SP won't dominate when they have no Unown G, Genger-Machamp will be dominating there'll be nthing from stopping them take outing and Shadow rooming.
You seriously think that a Machamp which loses Claydol wins against SP decks that lose nothing? And even if they would fear Machamp (which they clearly don't) they could just tech Toxicroak.

This Rotation changes... Absolutely Nothing!lol

Seriously, This makes judge and hand-disruption decks the most powerful card/deck in the format. This also only eliminates two decks in the current format: Gardevoir/Gallade and Beedrill. I can't remember that ever happening before.

This Rotation changes... Absolutely Nothing!lol

Seriously, This makes judge and hand-disruption decks the most powerful card/deck in the format. This also only eliminates two decks in the current format: Gardevoir/Gallade and Beedrill. I can't remember that ever happening before.

This kills every deck that isnt sp or donk aka jumpdrachampdosableye...
Might as well switch the round time to 10 minutes now...

Wrong.
It eliminates all decks that needed Claydol, at least until a new draw engine is released.

There will be two competitive types of decks left:
- SP-decks (at least more variety than just Luxchomp)
- Gyarados

As I said, I'll wait for Clash of the summit, but there have to be VERY great cards (something similar to the Holon-Engine is the absolute mininum!) to keep the game alive.

You seriously think that a Machamp which loses Claydol wins against SP decks that lose nothing? And even if they would fear Machamp (which they clearly don't) they could just tech Toxicroak.
Machamp still has Uxie, BTS, Rare Candy, pokemon communication, Poke Drawer + then there's also draw supporters. I just don't think you quit because of this, I think that SP might of been better with PL-on than this because of a lack of Machamp and Mewtwo.

Wrong.
It eliminates all decks that needed Claydol, at least until a new draw engine is released.

There will be two competitive types of decks left:
- SP-decks (at least more variety than just Luxchomp)
- Gyarados

As I said, I'll wait for Clash of the summit, but there have to be VERY great cards (something similar to the Holon-Engine is the absolute mininum!) to keep the game alive.

True, but Judge screws every thing over now.

I sure hope there a new/better draw engine than Ninetales/Magnezone Prime

Reprint Steven's Advice and then I'll be happy(er).

Oh yeah. NO MORE SPECULATION TOPICS FOR ANOTHER SIX MONTHS!!! I'm absolutely stoked about that :biggrin:

*Fixed*

Eh, the rotation is what it is. We all have the same cards to build with, so no point whining just because our favourite type of deck won't be playable until the new Pidgeot/Holon Engine/Claydol comes along.

Just make the best decks you can with what you've got. That's what I try and do.

Back