Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2010-3-16 Typhlosion GS 110/123

Burn it Down!

• This card is on FIRE! No Really!

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Well, comboed with other Typhlosion, Energy EVERYWHERE!

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • Another Prime of little usage.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Yea, I got a Prime! Oh, it is Typhlosion.

Votes: 11 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMeches

"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal= 49765]
2010-3-16 Typhlosion GS 110/123

[/gal]​

As usual, whoever makes these poll topics needs to come up with better things to say...2 of the options are basically the same, and the other 2 are eh.

Anyways, today's CotD is Typhlosion Prime from GS, definitely a nice card for :fire: decks. Statwise, 140 HP is nice for a Stage 2, x2 Weakness to :water: is bad, no Resistance is common, and :colorless::colorless: to Retreat is eh. Afterburner (its Poke-Power) of course is the reason you're running this guy, being able to grab a :fire: Energy out of your discard and attaching it to one of your Pokemon is very nifty, even if it puts 1 damage counter on them. Flare Destroy is kinda meh at :fire::fire::colorless: for 70, plus you have to discard an Energy (though at least you make your opponent do the same).

Modified - 7/10 (With other support like Ninetales GS, could make for a staple deck next format)
Limited - 8/10 (Hard part of course is getting him out, but the Poke-Power is nice)
Unlimited - 1/10 (No use here)

Used ALOT and for good reason, the power comes in handy for Lugia, and your typically Typh/ninetailes decks. the attack is ok, could be good for a disruption deck or running with Infernape.

7/10

2nd !!!!!

7/10 in modified.
can help a lot of pokemon out there. and 1 damage ounter isnt so bad. the attack is really good when it has its pokepower by its side.

the only bad thing from my opinion is the weakness, but its pretty understandable.
retreat cost is 2, but is it really that bad?
140 hp is great for a stage 2 pokemon. you can jump from 50 hp to 140 with a rare candy xD.

but if only it have a resistance...

8/10 modified

this card gives fire decks the acceleration it needs to attach energy and be able to use their high 3 and 4 cost energy attacks while still competing with much faster decks, such as SP decks with energy gains.

unfortunately, gyarados is rampant and these decks die horrible deaths to him.

but he still combo's nicely with HS ninetails~

5/10 limited, stage 3 are hard, its even harder to pull enough of his previous evolves.

6/10 unlimited, can help accelerate any fire deck.

Man oh man, looks like we have one burning card!

140 HP is OK for the Typhlosion, but water weakness isn't too good, and the retreat cost is slightly heavy.

Well, no wonder this Prime can help so many :fire: decks. This is mainly thanks to the poke-power that does so. You can bring back a :fire: energy from your discard pile and attach it to one of your Pokemon. Altough you put 1 damage counter on the Pokemon that gets the :fire: energy, this isn't much of a hinderance. The attack is quite decent too. You do 70 for 3, or to make things better, 90 with Expert Belt, and after you discard an energy on Typhlosion, you can discard an energy on the defending Pokemon. Remeber, you can bring back an energy onto Typholsion thanks the power.

Overall 6/10 in modified

Typhlosion Prime is indeed one decent card. It can be runned on its own, with other Typhlosions, or even Charizard AR. Currently it shines Charizard, because it helps to rack up more damage for Charizard. Also, don't forget to play Ninetales to put some more consistency. Now why can't it shine? A deck like Gyarados owns this.

140 HP is nice, Water Weakness is bad, and a Retreat Cost of 2 isn't too great. The Poke-Power is really good. The energy attachment is usually worth the extra damage, and when you have more than one Typhlosion Prime in play that can really establish firm energy control. 3 for 70 is not too great, the discarding effect on yourself is bad, but the discarding of an energy on your opponent's Active Pokemon can be really nice and disruptive if they aren't running Unown G. 6/10

7/10

I swear, this will be meta material after rotations. It'll have one of the best draw powers around, but until then it's a bit sub-par because of Gyarados ._.

Right now, however, it's still decent. The Poke-Power is awesome, and combining with Nideoqueen will neutralize the 1 damage each turn. 2 Retreat is fair considering the way it's Power can just stack it up for you in one turn anyway. I also love the synergy between this and Ninetales.

To be honest, i think this card is a bit overhyped, compared to the MT one, and i like the MT one more. They basically can the same, except the prime typhlosion can attach from discard to anywhere for 1dmg counter, over only being able to attach bench. Then you might say that, it's often the active which need the energy, but all you have to get it on the active, is to add in stark mtn, which will prolly be used in most fire decks anyway.
7/10 for modified (6/10 for the power, but attack and hp gives it the last point)

I think this guy will be great next format when (assuming) Kingdra and Gyarados are rotated out. Also, Unown G will go away leaving his effect being much more usable.

Currently though his weakness is no good and I would not think about using him competitively.

6/10

Next format,

9/10

4/10

yay. energy acceleration. are you guys just exited because he is a prime? the other typhlosion did pretty much the same thing, and did you see THAT in top cuts? This card just dies. it is just a support card for zard. you can shadow room this thing, psy lock, unown g makes it so you discard, THEY DON'T, and it is only 70 for three! i would pick flygon ANY DAY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back