Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2013-02-25 PLS Manaphy 044

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=54149]2013-02-25 PLS Manaphy 044[/gal]​

Not a terrible card to tech 1 of in Keledo Blastoise decks. Too bad the ability doesnt work if it dies from laser.

it sucks that it cant deal any damage. Not like your playing it for that. Getting back a potential 3 energies is pretty good. A bit situational, but can be a difference maker. The ability is pretty good if it can go off.

HP is low but you want it to be low to get off the effect. Retreat isnt bad, weakness is alright.

Overall Id give it 6/10. Has some potential. Most likely wont see any play but you never know. For a basic and a support card for keledo / blastoise its not that bad.

0.5/10 OK, is it just me or is this card worse than Magikarp released in Dragons Exalted. I can only see this card being used for early game but it can't because for it's attack, it needs at least 2 or 3 water energy in the discard pile, something Blastoise/Keldeo isn't good at early game. So it's only use is for the ability but you have to be knocked out by damage for an attack but if you're going up against a deck That uses Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym, this card becomes worse than every Magikarp released. I really don't see any use for this card unless you're playing a Lot of Shaymin Ex and you need to give your opponent free prizes but would like something in return.

I like the card. It has an excellent ability, and would be a good early game trade trade off (Prize card for any card you want). I almost wish it had less HP, so it would be KO'd easier. This card was very fun to use at the pre release. I'll give it a 6/10.

Don't rely on any half-decent player doing you a favour and triggering Final Wish. They'll either leave it there to clog up your Bench or KO it with HTL.

Could be used as acceleration if you feel like having some fun.

6/10

Yay a good card for once!

This would be the ideal starter for water decks. You got an attack that accelerates energy and an ability that gives you a free computer search when knocked out. I actuyally thought this was going to be a staple in a lot of decks... until I realized a few things. The energy acceleration is from the discard pile. If you start with it, you're going to have to find a way to get energy in the discard pile. Since the attack is flippy, you're taking a gamble that you won't be able to get back those energy. Then there's the ability, final wish. It is a good ability, but it's not foul proof thanks to the line "damage from an opponents attack". With 70HP, it's not hard for an opponent to set you up to die from poison, thus negating the ability. Even then, it's still relying on an opponents play. They could always catcher around it and hit the thing you were trying to power up. Or they just donk you, meaning that even if you do get the ability, it won't matter.

With all that said, I don't think this is a bad card. Energy acceleration is never bad, especially on a basic. It's actually better late game when you have gone through all your energy and need to power something up for the win. The ability, while not reliable, can at least make your opponent think twice before KOing you. And when it does go off, it's well worth it.

Overall, pretty good card, but not without it's limits. 7/10

It has good intentions, but Manaphy was designed poorly. If Manaphy could knocked itself out with it's ability to search for a card, rather than the opponent knocking it out, then I would really enjoy playing this card. For example, while Manaphy is your Active Pokemon, use Seafearing, get some energies on the bench. Then, during your next turn, knock Manaphy out, promote the Pokemon you placed energies on, and further support the new Pokemon to setup with whatever card you search for (Eviolite, Rare Candy, Energy Switch, etc).

As it is, though, I'm not a fan of Manaphy. Too many factors outside of your control. It's ability relies on your opponent, and it's attack relies on coin flips. Final Wish can be avoided with poison damage, and while Seafearing is a decent attack, it requires Manaphy to be your Active Pokemon, with an energy on it, and enough energies in your discard pile. This all too hard to setup during the early game, which is when you would want to use Manaphy.

5/10

Can't believe no one mentioned the coolness of it in a garchomp deck with garchomp discarding stuff off the deck you can use this card to put it on people on the bench
5.5/10

Every time I see a Manaphy, I think to myself "We could have had a Jirachi instead."

Cards that are begging to be knocked out like this are so situational. You think its easy bait, but it has to be knocked out by damage--not placement of damage--from an attack. No one would ever target this on the bench so you'd have to somehow make the opponent attack Manaphy while it is active.

Roserade's Le Parfum has the same effect without having to wait for the KO and it is easier to reuse too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back