Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2013-07-20 PLF Tornadus EX 098/114

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=54775]2013-07-20 PLF Tornadus EX 098/114[/gal]​

This card is great for setting up....its second attack can do a lot of damage on the second turn but it can really use a lot of plasma energy's in your deck. ill give this a 8.0 out of ten.

2nd! I was gonna be first, but I posted a long post and got beat to the punch. Anyway, at first I hated this card, then I loved it, but now I hate it again. First attack seems great at first. If you start with it, GREAT! You can use up whatever you launch off with in your hand and then shuffle that back into your deck. But that's only good for about 2 turns, because you want to start attacking. I tried this in my TDK deck, but I'd have it out and 2 Kyurem, 2 Deoxys and then Thundurus EX. And then it just hurt my deck. I could only get out 2 Deoyxs at a time. So basically this card was good for me at first and then became deadweight for my deck. But I run 14 Supporters in my deck and it's so fast, I don't even need Tornadus in my deck. And I'm glad I dropped it. I found myself, lots of the time, setting up everything and then I'd draw into this Tornadus EX and it became a dead draw. So I wound discarding it with Juniper or Ultra Ball. Once I dropped this card, my deck instantly improved. I also had an Absol in my TDK deck. Now I've replaced Absol and this card with 2 Kyurem EX. So now my deck runs 4 Kyurem. And it's really good now.

The HP on this thing is great. 180.

And don't get me wrong, fresh hands are great, but not when they are in the form of a Pokémon attack. The very same Pokémon that can just clog up your bench in place of other, better Pokémon that can be on your bench. It's 2nd attack is powerful, I'll give it that, but you don't want to toss all your Plasma Energy Cards onto this thing and then this thing gets KO'd or Enhanced Hammer knocks off your Plasma Energy Cards. I'd rather have my Plasma Energy Cards in my deck and Colress Machined onto something useful, like Kyurem.

Lightning Resistance is actually pretty good in this meta, as there aren't very many Eel Decks these days. Fighting Resistance isn't so effective any more, because Landorus is seeing a huge drop in play, due to Kyurem.

Retreat Cost is a bit heavy. 2 but that's what Float Stone was invented for. Or better yet, Keldeo EX with Float Stone.

This thing gets the joke of the new Cleffa HS, but with 150 more HP and having a 1 attack cost instead of none.

In the end, I find the other Tornadus EX way more playable than this card. 1 DCE to hit 90, now with Virbank City Gym and Laser and a DCE with 1 other Energy Card to hit 130 with the same combo.

This card is mainly good for it's draw power, not it's attack power. If you want an attacker, go with Tornadus EX DEX. Tornadus EX DEX may have 10 HP less than this 1 but it also has 1 retreat cost and better attacks.

I give this card a 2/10. It's really not very good.

I think this is the most underrated card of the set. It can serve 3 functions.

1. Hand refresher. One of the better hand refreshing moves. Most attacks of this nature simply let you draw until you have 6 cards in your hand. This lets you shuffle in cards you don't need for a better hand. Of course, that's not the best use of an attack, but it can save you when you're in a tight spot, and for that cost, you can do a lot worse.

2. First turn pressure. Thanks to it's plasma/colorless typing, it's not too unreasonable to get this attacking turn one. That doesn't seem likely with a four energy attack cost, but with a DCE and two colress machines (or one colress machine and a skyla or shadow triad), you can be hitting for 120+ on the first turn.

3. Sweaping. With either 4 plasma energy or 3 plasma energy plus 2 or 3 Deoxys EX, you can be taking down EXes in one hit. Now this doesn't sound too likely, but I've seen it happen. There are so many ways to get plasma energy onto your pokemon be it from the deck (colress machine) or from the discard pile (Thundurus EX). And once you get it powered up to be doing 180, you're set. You can consistently take down any threat that stands in your way with no drawbacks (energy discard like BKEX).

It's downsides are it's weakness to lightning, two retreat, and reliance and special energy, but the first two are minor and the third is no big deal if you're playing plasma.

9/10 for the plasma deck
6/10 for the non plasma deck (you still have windfall).

IMO This is a great 1 or 2 of for blastoise, for those who just can't drop 100-150$ for a single card. It even provides some advantages since your opponent can't use it and you can shuffle in dead cards in your hand (although sometimes you have to shuffle in cards you'd like to keep) and I almost always have a keldeo/float stone on the bench, in a pinch it even helps against frozen city since it's a plasma poke. And it helps power up colress. 7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back