Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2014-2015 Format: What Pokemon will change up the current Meta?

Benzo

Front Page News Editor<br>Forum Moderator
With the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire set to be released in the near future- and the X/Y Dex only Format being what is allowed for Competitive Play-

Which Pokémon would you like to see on the battle field that has been currently restricted?

Metagross?
Brongzong?
Swampert?
Dusknor?

What do you think will bring in a new breath of change to the current meta?

Which Pokémon do you think should be allowed in the next format?

Feel free to toss in your thoughts or wants!

Game Freak and Nintendo should stop with the restrictions on whats allowed. Its pointless to prevent non native XY Pokemon from being used. They should focus on more balanced play.

I am rather sure that X/Y breed Pokémon that get transferred over to ORAS will be able to be used in the new format. Those Pokémon do fall under the "breed in" category with a mark, and more then likely ORAS will require the game symbol (if the games continue the symbol and they do opt to keep X/Y blue symbol)-

I do not see much of an issue to not want to start breeding for the transfer over.

I think the entire reason to have those symbols was a way to track a better history of a Pokemon's "history" and to be "filtered out" of the older system to in hopes of having a non-hacked atmosphere all- around.

Even though it is electronics, and hacks are still around- the best thing to happen is the attempts to weed out the hacked and try to implement a better system to conquer a never ending cycle (but to greatly slow down the process of allowing hacks to get into the competition which is the #1 main concern of the players base IS handling hacked Pokies in battles)- so, over all- I think we can see a rather smoother transition to making the jump to ORAS with less hassle.

For example- there should be a compatible way to link the Bank between X/Y to ORAS, and, Bank is a filter as it is- and to me it looks as if people are welcoming the attempts to make the competitive scene "hack free"- there shouldn't be a step back but steps forward to move on to include the combination of X/Y and ORAS to better the games for everyone.

My guess as well that there will be some point in the new games that Bank will not be accessible right away (if so, full dex right off, :)), but, to be X/Y mixed per say to have access to all the POkies is looking like the format will be expanded into a lager base to break up the meta in allowing more available Pokémon to battle.

If they do decide to restrict the format to ORAS for the format and restrict the Pokémon to that dex only- I think there will be a great amount of severe disappointment and a huge step back and IMO it will hurt the game. As I see it, instead of restricting the stratagies to only a select few battle worthy Pokémon to a format is most hurtful and creates a format that is left to a "stale year" of seeing the same teams face off due to the lack of strategy out there when there are so many battle worthy Pokémon and so many teams to create- it would be great to see different teams throughout the year then just what is "meta" the whole year and being predictable and repetitive.

my thoughts, 2 coppers is all--

I still think Speed Boost will rule the meta. On XY right now, I keep losing to teams that abuse it and other Speed/Whatever modifiers. I would like to see speed balanced out. I know that wont happen till the next gen but as of now, speed and power rule the game.

The current format is rather heavy on speed and power being the main "strategy", because it is what is working for getting wins.

That is what has been shown right now that the balance is off, with little options to counter the trend of teams being built to exploit that unbalance.

If perhaps a suprise "7th Gen" happens, meaning there are added Pokemon to boost the type (single or dual type [maybe a 3 type like poison+dark+grass :p]) count total (more Fairy, poison, dark..... the types with the lowest count by battle worthy Pokemon)(liike, so many water type Pokemon yet only so many make good for VGC play time)- then there will be even more balance brought in.

Just bringing back in all the Pokies that have not been able to be used since it is X/Y dex only, we will have a good amount of balance brought in that it will change up the current meta alot and we will see more team building options for sure if the format expands to include both X/Y and ORAS.

The abilities are out of control. Just all of Pokemon really. Abilities are better when they were defensively passive or used to enhance a Pokemon's natural ability, Like Keen Eyes seeing through evasion mod. Now abilities boost raw stats a great deal and are no longer exclusive as these abilities are going on Pokemon with huge stats. Speed Boost a Ninjask was not that big a deal because it was not really a offensive threat and take a spot on the team. Speed Boost on a Blaziken, who also has a mega is a big deal.

Also, Where is my lightning rod Zapdos?

Oh- lightning Zapdos is in the Lost Zone hanging with his bro Giratina..........

Abilities are meant to provide a Pokemon with a way to enhance the various aspects of the battle. While a good number of abilities do not serve much of a selection in the competitive scene- I do agree that some are over used and slightly misplaced on the wrong Pokemon.

The main core to wrecking that IMO is to build your team with a strategy that is not "meta" reliant to counter it. There are ways to get around abilities for sure- but looking beyond what "should" be there is harder then looking for "what's missing".

When the meta is stale and repetitive, people have already looked at what is working and what is well built to handle at least 85% of what is out there based on the current trend.

Going rogue and finding the "missing" means that regardless of an ability that is over powering to looking at what your team is missing in order to use that ability being used against you and turning it against that Pokemon. There are solutions that are there, and building Pokemon to the meta expectations is what most of the time is the wrong approach.

Like Garchomp having hidden power ice. The new "norm" to counter other Garchomps. Why not look into the "missing" and find a strategy that makes your opponent surprised that you didn't build only to counter, but to put their strategy in risk even if it is at the cost of your own Garchomp?

It is harder to recover a strategy then it is to make up a loss of a Pokemon over the continued attempts to worry about the abilities the opposing Pokemon have and how over powering you believe them to be. I never build around abilities as it is.

Well, I play with Pokemon I like and their abilities aren't aggressive. Gale Wing Talonflame is questionable but its made up for its lack of power. Sure Pidgeot has a 101 speed based stat but its attack was not raised so I would have to give it a choice band, same with Talonflame to get any good damage while a Pokemon with Speed Boost has the raw attack and speed to begin with while also being at least 100 base stat higher than most. Im not saying my favorites need to be the best but lots of Pokemon are getting overlooked because of those with aggressive abilities.

its also Pokemon with aggressive attacks. Like some dragons/dragon egg group pokes have the ability Moxie. While not a issue all in its own, they also have Dragon Dance. So in most of the competitive games I lost, I lose to either Speed boost or Dragon dance. Those are the most annoying losses to have because no matter how well you play, you still lose to nonsense.

I started going around with Murkrow but thats like me using a 5 poke team and dont even get me started on Shell Smash.

Well, I play with Pokemon I like and their abilities aren't aggressive... Im not saying my favorites need to be the best but lots of Pokemon are getting overlooked because of those with aggressive abilities...So in most of the competitive games I lost, I lose to either Speed boost or Dragon dance. Those are the most annoying losses to have because no matter how well you play, you still lose to nonsense.

There are a lot of Pokémon that I like, but which are terrible in competition, and so I don't use them on a competitive team. That's because competition is about winning. Wishing that competitive battling were 'more fair' to underused Pokémon and the trainers who love them is just silly. Imagine a World Cup soccer player who feels that shots with the dominant foot are 'overused and broken' and then complains when the game doesn't go well for him when he shoots only with his weaker leg. The game is what it is. The rules are what they are. The Pokémon are not going to change.

So, you can whine, or you can counter the 'broken strategies'. For instance, if you are really worried about Speed Boost Blaziken, you could counter it in many ways. Priority attacks such as Brave Bird from Talonflame, Aqua Jet from Azumarill, and Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan work well. So does Trick Room. Intimidate users, Rain/Swift Swim teams and Bulky Water Types are also solid choices. You need to accept that others are going to use whatever they feel will give them the best chance to win, and counter it with your own viable team. Either that, or find something else to do besides competitive Pokémon. :wink:

^Nonsense is still nonsense. You can't counter everything. I do have a dedicated team for VGC though when I play in it. Everything else is too and far in between.

Back