3 Element Decks--A Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Skywolf1, Aug 26, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywolf1

Skywolf1 New Member

As one who is always looking to "break the mold" when it comes to traditional thinking, I wanted some insight here, as to what the general consensus was with a "tri-colour" element deck, encompassing, grass, electric and steel type Pokemon.

I have always been "conditioned" to believe that more than two energy types, could cause confusion, and create imbalance within the deck, thereby making a stragic deck of this many different types, quite a challenge to build.

Then there is the issue of energy. Since, I am using a specialized energy type (steel) in this deck, it doesn't seem to detract from the over effectiveness of the deck as a whole.

After doing some "mock" draws, draw power doesn't seem to be greatly hindered either, with mulligans only showing up about 30% of the time.

I am relying on two key elements here for the stragic impact of this deck to be optimized:

1. Utilization of trainer card(s) that allow me to "replenish" discarded energy from KO'ed Pokemon.

2. Resistance to 3 different energy types, which allow for substantial damage reduction during play against an opponet with that energy type in play.

It seems to me, that in THEORY, I have got a working deck, that could actually be effective against many of the major archetypes currently in use.

In closing, when building a "tri-colour" element deck, a fine line must be trodden at all stages of the deck building process, and I fell that I might have accomplished that here.

I am looking for the community's opinion on this matter.

Do these type of decks work? If so, how effective are they?

I look forward to all thoughts on this matter.

Take Care,

Skywolf1

2. Baboon

Baboon New Member

I have yet to seriously try a 3-color deck in Modified. Usually, the only time I'd do three types is when 1 or 2 of them are very minor, just having like 1 or 2 cards of that type, so you can't really consider it a full type. Usually, in the past, 3 full types wouldn't work that well.

BUT, your deck has only 2 and a half types. (Metal, to me, is half a type, as you can only have 8 Energy for it counting Rainbow.) You'll be resistant to Grass, probably Water, and possibly Metal, if you're using newer Lightning Pokemon. Grass and Water are some of the more popular types, so being Resistant is good.
    As far as you having your opponent's Weakness, you don't have too much of an advantage here, since not many Pokemon are Grass or Metal-Weak. BUT, Water Weakness is everywhere in Fire type, and Blaziken is all over the place, so this should be good.

I'm not speaking from experience, but it *could* work. Having 3 types is not an easy thing to pull off, but if you can do it, it's definitely worth the effort.

3. Darkleaf Master

Darkleaf Master New Member

For this type of deck, i would consider playing Lady Outing... just a thought

4. dkates

dkates New Member

Making a good 3-color deck is not impossible, although it is difficult. Such a deck would have to have only Stage 1's and Basics. The best way to make it effective is to make sure that you minimize the number of actual different Basic Energy types needed, by having as many of the Pokemon as possible use only Colorless Energy. Qwilfish (Needle Storm) was an excellent example. Also, such a deck would need Rainbow Energy, if minimizing non-Colorless costs doesn't work. Also, look for Pokemon of one type that use Energy from another type. A few Water cards have Psychic costs, for example. But yes, it could be done. It's a lot easier in Unlimited, since so many Pokemon fit the bill.

5. adrianmew2

adrianmew2 New Member

check my lugia power deck. With me it really works. I have beaten 6 deck of 2 kinds of pokemon in the battle zone and I have be beaten just one time. I have been doing deck of more than two kinds for almost two years but this is just a little better than other decks. :)

6. farbsman

farbsman New Member

Forget 3 color decks, try 5-6. Okay I know what your thinking, Derek has lost his mind. But bear with me.

Lets see, I will take Ho-Oh rare non holo card from revelation, and then add an above mentioned card called Lady Outing. This combo is deadly and I have seen it a few times at my league lately.

For those not sure what the cards say here are the text from pokeschool.com

Name: Ho-Oh
    HP: 90
    Type: Colorless
    Basic Pokemon

Attack 1: CCCC Rainbow Burn 30+
    This attack does 30 damage plus 10 more damage for each type of Basic Energy card, if any, attached to Ho-oh.

Weakness: Water
    Resistance: Fighting
    Retreat: 2
    #18/64
    Rare

Lady Outing (Trainer) Supporter

You can play only one Supporter card each turn. When you play this card, put it next to your Active Pokemon. When your turn ends, discard this card.

Search your deck for up to 3 different types of basic Energy cards, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

(83/109)

Now understand, Lady Outing allows you to seach for 3 different tyes of energy and put them in your hand. This means you wouldn't really need that many of the different types in your deck. 3 tops. Then you can build your deck of whatever type you want with possible colorless pokemon or even a one type deck just adding extra energies of that type into your deck. Team Lady Outing with Oracle and you could have a deadly combo. When you get Ho-Oh out you could search for Lady Outing and another energy. Put the energy on top, lady outing second. Then you could have 4 different types of energy ready in your hand in 2 turns!! YOu could also use Oracle to pull up the Ho-Oh and the Lady Outing. What a great combo!!

7. dkates

dkates New Member

Grass, Electric, and Steel, you say? Pretty easy types to combine -- a Scizor deck covers Grass and Steel already, and Electric is one of the easiest types to tech into a deck, IMO, because most good Electric Pokemon are pretty easy to run -- especially the original Electabuzz. You could even use the Steel-type Magnemite set, if that tickles your fancy.

8. Pablo

Pablo New Member

i really think, 3 type decks will see more play around, since Lady Outing with Delcatty is awesome. People (including me) will start playing Lday Outing with Delcatty, and using 3 type of energy's in a deck, just to maximize the combo.

1.- Use Lady Outing and get 3 different basic energy cards.

2.- Start discarding with Delcatty's, for up to 9 cards each turn.

I don't think we had this type of drawing in any format, not even unlimited, since we were never able to draw 9 cards for the price of 3 energy's.

Dual types are going t be popular in MF3, whatever format it is, but if the format is RS-on, (which I'm expecting), I will surely use 3 different type of energy's in my deck, to abuse Delcatty.

From my point of view, 3 Holo Delcatty and Lady Outing must be a staple in any RS-on deck which uses evos.

Just my thoughts :)

9. adrianmew2

adrianmew2 New Member

Just like I said before I liked this idea, but I think that is better using lugia from Neo Genesis, here are the steps of an strategy.

1)If you get a healing field and Lugia in your first 7 cards you're lucky cuz you have the posibility of not being damaged then you could charge lugia since most of the basic pokemons and stage 1 have less than 90HP
    except for some like chansey you will get rid of them but you can do up to 110 of damage if you use a strenght charm and a plus power.(you can also use counter clawsand you will defeat a stage 2 pokemon with a succesful flip.

2)Another way to survive with lugia is by using the multi technical machine(to paralyze whie you charge lugia.

I have more ideas for my deck of Lugia's power in mind but this is just a little.

10. biogopher33

biogopher33 New Member

i don't think you should

11. dkates

dkates New Member

The trick on a 3-type deck would be what I'll call the Weakness circle. Say one of your types is Fire. They're weak to Water, so you'll want to counter that. Best counter for Water is Electric or Grass. You'd want both, because Grass also counters some of Electric's Fighting Weakness.

12. Captain Obviousx1

Captain Obviousx1 New Member

Yea, and it could also work if you play Pokemon of the 3rd type who only need Colorless Energy. The best example of this is Scyther. Electric/Grass/Steel is a viable deck, especially if you play the Scizor line without Grass Energy. Then all you would need is Electric and Steel, with optional Rainbows. You would get resistance to Grass/Fighting, with possible extra resistance to Fighting if the Electric was Rocket's Zaps. The only problem is a major Fire Weakness...but with enough Steel, you can work around that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.