Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

3rd place Florida w/The megazord

Curry

Got third in GA with lostgar. That was pretty cool. FL was a bit more important to me in terms of wanting to do well but spring break was over and I had a few big school-related things this past week so I didn’t test at all. Didn’t want to play lostgar again due to being afraid of playing against vilegar every single round. Still don’t want to play SP decks. Machamp isn’t that good. What’s left? The big, jolly green dinosaur. The nats deck makes an encore appearance at FL states.

Woke up Saturday, got a muffin, registered, and played KGL vs random decks while I waited. Things got started pretty soon after. 155 people. Decent number.

Round 1 vs Thomas W w/DLG
He opens chatot to my azelf. I draw, bench a larvitar, attach dce to it, and pass. He draws, benches dialga, attaches dce to chatot and chatters me without playing a supporter. Odd. I draw, evolve to pupitar, collector for chop, tomb, and uxie, communication away nidorina for champ, candy into it and set up into a bunch of garbage =/ He chatters me a couple more turns while still playing no supporters and attaching a call to dialga. Eventually he attaches a call to chatot and calls for luxray and bronzong. I retreat and power claw him. He bright looks an uxie and takes a prize. I megaton tail. He second strikes, I megaton tail. He toxic fangs. I warp point and take out an uxie. He scoops. Not really the best game.
1-0

Round 2 vs Jumpluff
I shuffle up and start lone Q =’( He wins the toss and I’m ready to get T1d. Instead, he opens lone hoppip and bounces. I make the only sensible play I can and bebe for tomb, retreat and quick to prevent a regice play and will-o-wisp him for 20. He collectors for sunkern, uxie, and hoppip, attaches to hoppip and bounces to uxie. I topdeck a larvitar, attach dce to it and darkness grace. He psychic restores, I retreat, communication away something (machoke?) and get an uxie, evolve to ttar, and set up into a collector for two more larvitars and nidoran, and darkness howl to ko a hoppip and start building damage on his field. He kinda explodes and gets out a sunflora, a jumpluff, a skiploom, and a second sunflora. Hits me for 80. I get out queen and another pupitar with dark before power clawing him to 80. He mass attacks and kills me. I promote tomb and darkness grace. He leaf guards. I warp and darkness howl while getting the third pupitar down with a dark. He whiffs a grass, has to retreat to uxie and pass. I just darkness howl the rest of the game. Easy peasy.
2-0

Round 3 vs Jose w/ Vilegar
I don’t remember all of the details. I know I didn’t get to play any trainers all game and I made sure I wouldn’t take any from my prizes. He had some difficulty setting up and retreated gengars to prevent me from getting prizes. There was a turn where I darkness howled to kill two gengars and he whiffed both fainting spells which sealed it up for me. The flip was the only shot he had at the game though. He needed to hit one of those AND a fainting spell later in the game to force sudden death.
3-0

Round 4 vs Edwin w/Lostgar w/Palkia
Decent game. He starts off pretty well but his first hurl hit nothing and I got my bench to four guys when he collectored for palkia. It could’ve won him the game but I warp pointed and he promoted it, I promoted uxie to get it off my field and pushed up tomb. He leveled up and passed. I passed. He passed. I drew a dark, put it on my benched, dced ttar and passed. He attached a psychic and passed. I attached a rainbow, retreated, and wrecked it with my giant green lizard. He started to seeker hurl stuff but I never let him get more than one guy per turn and he couldn’t get six guys before I got six prizes.
4-0

Round 5 vs Nidoqueen/Ampharos
I had to play down and drew the worst hand I’ve ever seen with this deck: Larvitar, ttar, pupitar, pupitar, nidoqueen, machamp, basic dark. He opens sableye and mareep and impersonates a collector. The cards he gets make me wanna say fml since I knew I was gonna lose. I topdeck a candy to at least make it interesting. He gets a t2 amphy belted, flashbites me a few times (wth?) and impersonates. I darkness howl again. He gets queen out T3. I’m still drawing pokemon. The turn before I lose, I topdecked a communication for uxie for two and get nothing good. I tried to mount a comeback by capitalizing on his cautious play of using gigavolt repeatedly instead of reflect energy but it’s really hard to come back from 6-1. I brought it to 1-1 and the only way he can win is if he runs two crobats since he had used all of his turns already. Apparently he does and he topdecked it to win =(
4-1

Round 6 vs Mitch w/ Gdos
He opens sableye to my q and impersonates. I collector for chop, uxie, tomb, communication away tomb, drop bts, candy into champ, and set up into a rainbow to win.
5-1

Round 7 vs Orion w/Ttar
Not a very interesting game. He takes the first prize with a sableye against my tomb and I respond with a power claw. He hits me with his ttar, I hit him for 70, He kills me with megaton tail. For some reason I push up a machamp with just a rainbow on it and do take out… -_-‘ I deserved to lose after that. I killed that ttar and another and he couldn’t get an energy to attack with the third so I got back in the game. I went for a hurricane punch with my second champ to set up the win by just getting two heads but only get one =’( He belts because he thought I only had one prize left apparently and kills my champ. I power claw him and he has to retreat so I don’t win the next turn. He sacs an uxie and tries to get a spinning tail ttar out since I was down to my last sp dark so I couldn’t one shot it. He whiffs and has to evolve to the prime to prevent me winning that turn. I win the next turn instead.
6-1

Round 8 vs Pierre w/BLG
He portraits me no supporter hand of 4 which is uxie, communication, energy, machamp and I set up behind a tomb. He opts to retreat and jet shoot me, I ko him with champ and basically end the game there. Champ took 3 prizes, megaton tail took 2 and he still had 4.
7-1

Made cut at second seed and had to play straight champ because Jason dropped.

T16 vs Cory Goff w/MaCHAMP

Game one: He opens slow and I get three fast prizes with a machamp before he sets up. Nidoqueen takes a couple more prizes and a warp point into a megaton tail wins it.

Game two: He opens with double smeargle to my larvitar. He portraits for nothing, single drawers for nothing, junk arms the drawer and hits nothing. I set up off a communication into double copycat so I have to use it for 5 to prevent him from getting a new hand of 7. I hit collector AND bebe off of it and he manages to set up after I get his first smeargle to 50 with a darkness howl. He double portraits next turn and starts setting up. I spent the entire game darkness howling keeping queen on my bench as a threat. He makes a couple of questionable warp point plays that move my ttar out of the active when he had the resources to simply kill it and I manage to catch him with a warp point to get a two prize turn with a darkness howl leaving him with a machamp prime with 4 fightings and 120 on it, another champ prime that has no damage on it, and an uxie with 60 on it. He belts uxie to stop me from getting my last prize and fighting tags the fresh champ up and kills me. I warp again to win.
Two weeks in a row I beat the autoloss in T16. This one was a bit easier and less luck reliant than last week but still tough.
8-1

We were the last game to finish (probably twenty minutes after everyone else) so I didn’t get a break before T8.

T8 vs Luxchomp
Game 1: I open chop, q, candy, choke, collector. He has to go first and passes with a lone luxray. I got a champ….
Game 2: He actually manages to set up a bit this time but I slow him down with tomb and set up a ttar and two champs. The first champ took 5 prizes alone though. Not much of a game.
9-1

Got a nice hour long break here and wandered around with the girlfriend.

T4 vs Justin w/Sableye
I was one of the first people to play that deck! I should be scooped to out of gratitude ;) Nothing worth noting here. I played 3 supporters over both games and lost. Game one was still kinda close but I just drew passed during game two after opening: tomb, larvitar, larvitar, warp, warp, rainbow, sp dark and top decking another larvitar =/ At one point I had three pupitars on the field though. That was kinda cool.
9-2

Got two third place medals by drawing dead both weeks. Kinda lame since I’m pretty sure better hands would’ve had me winning both tournaments but there’s nothing I can do about it. The 130 point rating boost is a nice pick me up so I can’t complain. Just gotta win regionals now I guess.

Props
Pretty much everything

Slops
Crobat
Ampharos
Playing down

Dead draws did me in. Had nothing to do with what I played against, but you can think that if you want Brendan.

I was mainly referencing SabeLock because it's what I lost to in top 8. Anyways, nice job with a somewhat-rogue deck.

Good job dude. I scrubbed out in South Carolina to two Gyarados decks, lol... now I'm 0-8 in competitive play against that crap. But really, 3 sets of Poke Drawer turn 2... man, I wanna play Gyarados. Haha. And I even ran Lucario like you said! Unfortunately, he was prized BOTH games along with Azelf one of them. Pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Congrats on your rating and whatnot. I guess you'll be going to Florida's Regionals this year instead of Georgia? Or will you be representing Florida here instead?

Good job, I am sure you will pull the win soon! I love that you decide not to play SP. See you at regionals if you go to FL.

Nice job Aaron, I really liked your deck this weekend, seems like it was the best deck choice for the day, just you unfortunately drew two dead hands.

Hi Aaron this is Alex, really nice job at states sounded like a BEAST of a deck, I'm glad I didn't end up playing against you 0_o I would have got destroyed.

Kevin- not interested in politics. Sorry ;)

Allen- thanks. Maybe I'll see you at regionals depending on where I go.

Justin- sucks you cant beat it. Don't know too many people that have that problem unless the gdos is etched against luxchomp. Maybe I'll see you in GA. Don't know where I'm going yet. Depends on school.

Robert- thanks. Like I've been saying to everyone, maybe I'll see you. And sp just isn't fun to play at all. Not my thing.

Zack- I really liked my choice too, hence why I picked it lol. Good job both weekends.

Alex- good job yourself! Wish I could've played you haha. I'm sure it would've been at least interesting.

Austin- I do what I can my friend.

Kevin- not interested in politics. Sorry ;)

Allen- thanks. Maybe I'll see you at regionals depending on where I go.

Justin- sucks you cant beat it. Don't know too many people that have that problem unless the gdos is etched against luxchomp. Maybe I'll see you in GA. Don't know where I'm going yet. Depends on school.

Robert- thanks. Like I've been saying to everyone, maybe I'll see you. And sp just isn't fun to play at all. Not my thing.

Zack- I really liked my choice too, hence why I picked it lol. Good job both weekends.

Alex- good job yourself! Wish I could've played you haha. I'm sure it would've been at least interesting.

Austin- I do what I can my friend.

Thx! It would have been nice playing you but just a quick glimpse at your deck walking by scared the crap outta me personally haha I wanted nooo part of it so I'll take a raincheck :)

It would have been nice to see You,Steve or Twitch take it,in fact didn't the 3 of you make the top4?

Nah. Twitch lost in T16 and would've had to play Steve in T8 so there was no way for all three of us to repeat T4 this year.

You could always get Michelle to give you advice. Just watch her with the -1 bad player, +1 good player line...

Back