Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

5th at NM States and 2nd at AZ State.s Master w/Gyarados

Blastoise_Trainer

So we head to Arizona States on Friday. Around a 7 hour drive over there. Get into Phoenix and get lost not able to find where the Hotel is because of the wrong directions they had on their web site. Get there and Kaleb and I wanted to go for a quick swim and find out the pool is closed as it still needs cleaning. So we take a break and start play testing later that evening.
Saturday Morning day of the tournament I still didn’t know what to use. Bring Luxchomp or Gyarados. Gyarados got me 5th place at my State Tournament in New Mexico. We get lost on our way to Gamers Inn. We were all worried that we were not going to make it in time so I called the store and we get better directions. We get there on time with 30 minutes left and Kaleb and I write out deck list.
I choose to stay with Gyarados because how well I did at NM states.
70 Masters/ 7 Rounds/ Top 16

So it’s:
Jose (Me) w/Gyarados
Kaleb w/ Luxchomp
Joshua w/ CurseGar
Misty w/ Flychamp
Michel (Our Junior) w/ Kingdra

1st Round- Vs. GG
I get a Sableye start and do the usual. I get set up faster than him. I using Pokemon Reversal to slow him down even more. At one point his Warp Points my Gyarados to my Bench and Dark Palms it back. I recover it fast from the deck and knock out his other pokemon FTW. GG
1-0:cool:

2nd Round- Vs Luxray (AR) w/Crobats

Again I start will Sableye again and do the usual. He has 2 Shinx on the field. I set up faster than him and start to knock out stuff. He gets a Prizes by knocking out a Crobat G. It was a long game as he got a very bad hand. He Flash Bites me 3 times and I just OK them one by one FTW. GG
2-0:cool:

Lunch Break- We all go to Subway. My friend Kaleb sees this hot girl there and just couldnt stop talking about her the whole way back to the tournament. Even now that we are at home he still talks about her. :lol:

3rd Round- Vs Luxchomp

Ok this was a fun/weird/epic battle. I played a guy that I beat last week at NM states. We were both playing the same deck, and knew each other. He wanted his revenge after last week at NM states. We start, I notice that 2 Magikarps were prized. I quickly grab Azelf and Time Walk to fish one out of there, he didn’t have a power spary in hand. I do a really stupid move and Felicity Drawings to discard 2 Magikarp and Regice Move to discard one more. I realize I just discarded my Magikarp I was supposed to evolve. I get behind in prizes and catch up a little too late 3-2 and lost. GG man (You got your Revenge)
2-1:thumb::cool:

4th Round- Vs FlyChamp

I forgot some of the first few turns. I do remember that I got very lucky on my dice rolls with SSU and Pokemon Reversals. It really slowed him down a lot! He couldn’t get any prizes and his 2 Pokemon Reversals were prized. He did discard both of my Expert Belts which made me only do 90 damage but I Cyclone Energy FTW at the end for my last prize. GG
3-1:biggrin:

5th Round- Vs Speedrill

He gets 4 weedles really fast. And I thought he was going to win. I get my set up fast, attach a Expert Belt to Gyarados to knock out his Beedrills with a OHKO. He didn’t get a prize until almost the end when it was 1-6, he KOs a Belted Gyarados. He attaches an Expert Belt to his Active Speedrill so I couldnt knock it out, but I recover my Gyarados fast and got heads on a Pokemon Reversal FTW. GG
4-1:smile:

6th Round- Vs Gyarados w/Luxray GL

I sat next to my friend Kaleb and we both play against our Mirror Match. LOL funny part it was NM on one side and AZ on the other side. :tongue:
My opponent got the first Gyarados set up. He was winning in prizes and it was a very close game. I catched up and its 1-1 in prizes. I have 2 Cyclone energy in my hand. He thinks it out and hits my Gyarados for 110. I draw and Cyclone Energy FTW again. GG
5-1:cool:

7th Round-Vs GG w/ Spiritomb

We both set up at a normal pace. I start to KO some his Pokemon and didn’t catch that his Kirlia `had enough energy to attack. He evolves to Gallade and KO my Belted Gyarados. I recover the Gyarados Fast and KO his Gallede. I also remember I Flashed Bited a Gradoiver LvX for KO. I get my last prizes FTW. GG
6-1:thumb:

I knew I made Top 16 and I was in 4th seed.

Top 16 Vs- Luxchomp
G1-
Im worried as I hate Luxchomp. We start and set up pretty fast. I don’t remember much but it was a close game, somewhere around 2-3 prizes. I soon take out my last to Prizes. FTW
G2- I think I start first with a Sableye start. He only have Garchomp and Crobat on the field. I get a very good start and he cant get nothing. I knock out 2 crobats, and all his has left is Garchomp C LvX. I do some stuff and draw in to a Expert Belt FTW. GG DUDE.
7-1:cool:

So before we start Top 8. Patricia our PTO asks us if we want to take a Dinner break. It’s a tie 4 players for going into Top 8 now and 4 players for a dinner break. We flip a coin and we get….a dinner break. I didn’t want to go until Top 4 but alright. All im thinking is about winning a piece of glass.

Top 8 Vs- Flyphan Lock
G1-
We start and I believe I got first because of Sableye, I set up fast. We trade prizes and does some pokemon lock with my Regice and discards card I really don’t care for. I somehow warp point/energy Regice to my bench and start to attack with Gyarados. He plays smart and not really use Donphan to attack much. I KO his Flygon and his Nidoqueen for some prizes and win.
G2- So again we get set up fast. But he sets up faster with 2 Donphan Primes out by like T2-3. I decide to get Gyarados attacking with only 2 Magikarps in the discards Pile. I knew I will still knock a few pokemon as I attack a Belt to Gyarados. He brings Flygon LvX but I knock it out fast with a few Flash Bites and Gyarados doing 110. It was a very close game 1-3/2. But once again, like always I Cyclone Energy FTW. GG MAN!:thumb::cool:
8-1

Top 4 Vs- Luxchomp ( Same guy I played at NM states and round 3 in swiss)
G1-
Ok we are ready for a big battle. We both have play eachother 2 times already and we know how eachothers deck work.
We start and set up at a good pace. I trade of Prizes and I don’t attack an Expert belt until the end. I knock out a pokemon with Gyarados and he KO it on his turn. It comes down to like 1-1 prizes and we are both very nervous on who gets the last prizes. I get it first.
G2- Ok so he choose to go second and have a Sableye and set up pretty fast. He doesn’t get a good start. I cant remember exactly what he did. But during the game he tells me he misplayed. He Bebe’s for the wrong pokemon. He never gets nothing attacking and if it did I quickly was able to Knock it out. I just KO pokemon one by one. It was a very bad start for him. But GG DUDE!
9-1:thumb::thumb:

At this point I was so happy, but I soon found out I had to play Joshua from New Mexico. We were so excited to be both NM in top 2.
I head to the bathroom and don’t know what was going on outside. I come back and the people that are still at the tournament tell me what Joshua just did. Patricia and Misty tell me that Joshua round under a ladder about 5 times. I just laugh and he says he does not believe in bad luck. So I just smile and say ok.
The head judge asks us because we know each other, if we just what to do ONE game. He quickly says no with no questions asked!! He said he was scared of getting donk with Sableye.:lol: So let me begin!!

TOP 2 Vs- CurseGar
G1-
LOL this is funny. I open with Sableye and Sp.Dark,Crobat, PokeTurn and other cards. He has Spiritomb and Nidaran (female). I got first Flash Bite PokeTurn and Overconfident to OK his active Spiritomb. He gets a Nidarina with Belt and Hits my Sableye. I Pokemon Collector for a Sableye, Uxie, Crobat. I warp Point into a Gastly and Flash Bite twice, and attack with Sableye for a KO. He just Scoops. LOL if we only had to play one game i would of won!!!:lol::lol:
G2- This was the best game out of all 3. I don’t really remember how it started out but he gets the lead in prizes. I take a few prizes with Gyarados KO some Spiritombs. The trainer lock stops for a few turns letting me take more prizes and Pokemon Reversal for a belt Nidoqueen I flash Bite like 3 times and Tail Revenge for 110 for KO. We are 1-3. I have a Cyclone Energy in had and his has Spiritomb and Gengar LvX (Fainting Spell) on his side. He knocks my BTS for a Moonlight and KOs my Belted Gyarados and ends. I have about 9 cards in my hand and I play some trainers for no effect. I SSU, and Set Up for 2, I get a Rescue a Magikarp, play it and hope to draw a in a BTS as I have a Gyarados in hand and Cyclone FTW to KO his Spiritomb. I cosmic power for 3 and get a Felicity and NO BTS. Use Felicity for 4…………..and NO BTS, when there is 2 still in the deck. I think it out if there is another way to draw but I cant. Joshua knows what I needed and tells me if I drew it,.. I say no and hes says end your turn. I get so mad that I missed it by a few cards. I cyclone and end. He Shadow Rooms my Magikarp FTW.

G3-
Im so mad from my last game because all he kept doing was reminding me about time and didn’t let play good. I have 2 Magikarps prized and I had to start with Azelf, and cant do too much damage to his pokemon and just Trainer Locks me. I can recover after losing my Gyarados and he gets prizes after prize FTW……………….GG Josh……..
9-2

I cant believe I got so close to WINNING, but 2nd place is as good as 1st for me.
After getting 5th at New Mexico states its a big Jump. All I want to do at AZ states was come home with Glass. And I did.
My sister a Junior also won a 2nd place Trophy from last week at NM states too, so im glad that now she cant make fun at me for not getting a trophy. LOL

Now for the best part of the report……The Props and Slops.

Props:
- Getting 2nd Place
- My sister getting 2nd place at NM states
- Getting a piece of Glass (that’s what everybody keeps on sayings)
- My Playmat giving me good luck.
- Cyclone Energy and Pokemon Reversals for Winning me a lot of games
- Just Notice after typing Report i went Undefeated in Top Cut Until Top 2
- 16 packs
- Getting cool Stuff from packs (2 Primes, Alph, RED GYARADOS (LOL), Bottom of Lugia, 2 DCE and Jumpluff)
- Traveling to AZ with some friends, Kaleb!!
- Misty for her being AWESOME and finding the way to Gamers Inn after getting lost.
- Getting 5th place at New Mexico States
- Patricia for making all this Possible both at NM and AZ states
- The Pokemon staff/Judges at both NM and AZ states
- Meeting new people/Friends at AZ states
- Random taking about Pokemon on the way back to NM
- and Everything else I forgot

Slops:
- Not getting 1st place because of BTS
- My Playmat had to had to be covered a little.
-Not enjoying the last game of TOP 2
- Not trading as much as I wanted to
- Fire hazard at Gamers Inn, and being outside in the hot sun, because of that
- Weird college kids at our hotel
- Someone knocking at our hotel door at 4am saying they were “Room Service” LOL
- Other things that im too tired to type

Thanks for reading guys. Hope you guys liked the report. Leave so cool comments.
and Hope to see some of you guys at Regionals or Nationals.
BLASTOISE_TRAINER OUT!!

Last edited:
You'll have to pm me your list, seeing that mine obviously did horrible in NM. But I swear, I might just start running cursegar......................

Haha fire hazerd lol kaleb ... good job on 2nd hope those rh karps and doses helped ;) hope next year will be even better for nm and az =D

We did have a great match in the Finals, man! I do apologize if you like I rushed you but like I always say,"If you ain't got it, you ain't got it" no need to waste time, right? Anyway, Great Report and let's have the same performance at Regionals XD New Mexico FTW!!!

Last edited:
Woot woot lol i hope i get to play against you again it was way to intense lol:cool:

:lol: Thanks..Ya well i will have to thing about playing again. Those battles are hard to win and very intense. But i will play you anything time again outside of a tournament for sure, man!:cool:

Haha fire hazerd lol kaleb ... good job on 2nd hope those rh karps and doses helped ;) hope next year will be even better for nm and az =D

:lol: LOL ya dont forget the rh Sableyes too. They all helped and made my deck way to shiny. I think it distracted my opponent a little during game play. :tongue::lol:
But ya will like to play you as we only have played once. I that for sure we will all be better next year.

We did have a great match in the Finals, man! I do apologize if you like I rushed you but like I always say,"If you ain't got it, you ain't got it" no need to waste time, right? Anyway, Great Report and let's have the same performance at Regionals XD New Mexico FTW!!!

Joshua, it for sure was a great and intense battle!!
I wasnt to mad, but just frustrated as you kept reminding me about time. Im not going to lie, but when i play you i want to use every minute i get. You really made me thing and i dont want to misplay.
But thanks, we will for sure have the same performance at Regionals. :thumb::thumb:

hi there, would you mind posting/pming me a list. i think i would like to play gyarados at regionals in my area. :)

Hey I was your T16 opponent. :) I really didn't see either game close tbh. I just was getting absolutely nothing. I have to give you props for playing Gyarados and near sweeping against Luxray/Garchomp though. You don't need to be worried about the matchup with that kind of list and consistency. Congratulations dude.

dmaster out.

hi there, would you mind posting/pming me a list. i think i would like to play gyarados at regionals in my area. :)

Ya I think i already send you a few PMs on the deck similar to mine. I gave you a few exsamples on what to take out and what to add in. Check your PMs.:thumb::thumb:

Hey I was your T16 opponent. :) I really didn't see either game close tbh. I just was getting absolutely nothing. I have to give you props for playing Gyarados and near sweeping against Luxray/Garchomp though. You don't need to be worried about the matchup with that kind of list and consistency. Congratulations dude.

dmaster out.

Thank you dude.
To be honest the first game was a close game. the second game was bad. You just didnt get anything and i was just setting up. But still it was awesome to play you in Top 16.

And thanks lol. I guess i should not be as worried as i think I did beat a few Luxchomp decks in both states.

See you at Regionals or Nationals. Thanks:thumb::thumb:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Great job again man! way to represent NM and Team Shadow Force!!!!

:lol::biggrin: thanks. I tried my best for ShadowForce to take 1st. But NM Top 2 was great. See you at league.

Last edited:
Back